Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WD My Book 1.5tb Showing as "unallocated space" after removed from case. PLEASE HELP!  (Read 5715 times)

Jetmohsli

Topic Starter

Starter

I had a Western Digital 1.5 Tb My Book essential edition (pictured below) that my wife gave me for Christmas. i have filled all but about 400 gigs with very important data. MY ENTIRE LIFE WAS ON THIS DRIVE. for the purpose of securing it in my computer (via sata connection) versus having it possibly damaged keeping on my desk. i removed the HD from the case, unplugged the "usb convertor chip"(Pictured Below) from the sata connector on the drive and plugged it into my machine. at first the drive does not show in my computer. The computer recognizes that a drive is plugged in but that is as far as it goes. When I go to Disk Management, the drive shows up 1.5 tb of UNALLOCATED SPACE. At this point my stomach drops to my feet.  Panicked and worried I disconnect from the internal machine and reconnect to the “ wd chip” and fire up my machine. Still no drive. However the Western Digital program that comes on the drive shows up(must be contained on the chip).  I have done much research online and have have been so far unable to find somebody who has the exact same issue and how to resolve it. Western digitals forums are “closed due to maintenance” and ive been unable to get an answer from phone support either.
    I work at a computer store/repair shop and have access to technicians and limitless tools and programs. If somebody could please tell me what it is ive done and how I need to fix it It would be greatly appreciated. I know my data still has to be on there because no formatting was done at any time. Ive even had my techs at work take a look at it they have run programs such as testdisk and recovermyfiles. But have so far been unsuccessful in finding out how to restore my partition. The entire culmination of my life is on this drive… including pictures and video of my newborn daughter

Please.  If some body could please help me.
    I need this  to work.

giardmi09

Beginner

• Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    If you have tried to plug the drive into other machines and they all say unallocated space then it seems it got wiped somehow. You could try to use Recuva. It's a tool by Piriform software. Its for recovering deleted files. Download here: http://www.piriform.com/recuva  then install, open the program, target the drive, scan, and pray! Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Jetmohsli

Topic Starter

Starter

because its an unallocated drive, there is nothing to scan. it doesnt even show up in several of the data recovery programs ive tried using at my store. but i will give it a shot. thank you for your time

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      I'll ask a quick question...was the MyBook software used on this drive ? ?
      If so there were issues with it and i can dig up the linx if you let us know...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert

Jetmohsli

Topic Starter

Starter

I'll ask a quick question...was the MyBook software used on this drive ? ?
        If so there were issues with it and i can dig up the linx if you let us know...
        [/quoyes

yes it was. before and after i unplugged the drive and it still showed up after i reinserted the drive and plugged it back  via usb

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jetmohsli

Topic Starter

Starter

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib