Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Memory or Motherboard issue?  (Read 17587 times)

hodges91

Topic Starter

Rookie

Memory or Motherboard issue?
    « on: February 24, 2010, 01:55:35 PM »
    Alright, so I am currently working at my college's lab trying to figure out what exactly is the cause of this blade's issues. It was donated to us (private college) and whomever donated to us said they wiped all data from the hard drives and we could do with it what we wanted to. I attempted to put Red Hat 9 on it to use it as a test server for some labs for students but it froze multiple times, no luck. Decided to try and put Windows Server 2003 on it and it froze, once again no luck. I ran Memtest86 to see if it would diagnose anything and sure enough it did, within the first three seconds the test froze saying unexpected interrupt - halting CPU0.

Okay, I had four sticks of 512MB ECC RAM in the blade, tried it with only two, and I guess the way the motherboard works, you can only boot the server if you have a stick of RAM in either DIMM1 and DIMM2 or DIMM3 and DIMM4 (obviously you can have all four slots filled). Otherwise POST beeps out 'memory error!' I have done MANY tests trying to diagnose if one stick will make a difference or not, below are some of the results I've gotten from the tests. I divided a piece of paper into 4 slots and put a stick of RAM in each one to give it a number so I wouldn't lose track.

Stick 1 and Stick 2 in DIMM1 and DIMM2 (Respectively)
    -Unexpected Interrupt - Halting CPU0 (Test #2 failed at 16% with four errors)

Stick 1 and Stick 2 in DIMM3 and DIMM4 (Respectively)
    -Unexpected Interrupt - Halting CPU0 (Test #2 failed at 15% with two errors)

Stick 1 and Stick 3 in DIMM1 and DIMM2 (Respectively)

Stick 1 and Stick 3 in DIMM3 and DIMM4 (Respectively)
    -Unexpected Interrupt - Halting CPU0 (Test #2 failed at 15% with two errors)

Etc... for Stick 1

Stick 2 and Stick 3 in DIMM1 and DIMM2 (Respectively)

Stick 2 and Stick 3 in DIMM3 and DIMM4 (Respectively)

Stick 2 and Stick 4 in DIMM1 and DIMM2 (Respectively)

Stick 2 and Stick 4 in DIMM3 and DIMM4 (Respectively)
    -Unexpected Interrupt - Halting CPU0 (Test #2 failed at 16% with three errors)

Stick 3 and Stick 1 in DIMM1 and DIMM2 (Respectively)
    -Unexpected Interrupt - Halting CPU0 (Test #2 failed at 15% with one error)

At first I thought it was something to do with the DIMM banks, the first few tests seemed that DIMM1 and DIMM2 would return fours errors and half at 16% and DIMM3 and DIMM4 would return two errors at 15%. At this point I am not sure what else to do as far as diagnosing this issue. I do not have any similar RAM sticks laying around. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Blade Specs:
    Dell PowerEdge 1750
    2GB (4x 512MB) 184-Pin ECC RAM
    3x 74GB SCSI HD's
    2.4GHz Intel Xeon Processor

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Memory or Motherboard issue?
    « Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 05:09:44 PM »
    Try DIMM 1 and 3 first...
    Then 2 and 4...
    If this fails there is 1 or more bad sticks of RAM...
    You will need to DLoad MemTest and run 1 stik at a time to find the culprit.
    It should be run for approx 2 hours...

PS it would be helpful with the model # of this blade and the system it's in...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

hodges91

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 07:09:51 PM »
      Try DIMM 1 and 3 first...
      Then 2 and 4...
      If this fails there is 1 or more bad sticks of RAM...
      You will need to DLoad MemTest and run 1 stik at a time to find the culprit.
      It should be run for approx 2 hours...

PS it would be helpful with the model # of this blade and the system it's in...

It doesn't boot up with 1&3 / 2&4 - POST just yells Memory Error. Tried it. >.<

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 07:37:54 PM »
      Then you need to run MemTest on those RAM sticks...
      Why not swap some out of the other blades as well to test ? ?

Other than that it sounds like that MBoard is fried...

hodges91

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 08:54:34 PM »
        I contacted out IT department for documentation or possibly another blade to test it on. Like I said, it was donated so I'm not even sure if our college has another similar model.  If I remember correctly, the blade doesn't even accept RAM if it's not ECC. Even that is hard to come by.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 11:01:18 PM »
        Then you need to run MemTest on those RAM sticks...
        Why not swap some out of the other blades as well to test ? ?
        Other than that it sounds like that MBoard is fried...
        Ya!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 11:09:20 PM »
        forgive me for possibly being daft but what in the blazes is a "blade" in this context?
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 11:13:09 PM »

hodges91

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 08:53:54 AM »
          Ya!

I have, getting those results. I believe it is a motherboard restriction, similar to how RAMBUS worked. If you have a module in DIMM1, you have to have one in DIMM2. Also, if you have a module in DIMM3 you have to have one in DIMM4. The only difference is that I can boot with two sticks of ram and not needing all 4. When I try to boot with a Module in DIMM2 and in DIMM3 it posts with beeps saying there is a memory error and I don't even get a video display. However, if I use the same exact sticks of RAM in DIMM1 and DIMM2 it boots into Memtest86 and I get those errors. Now, I'm still wondering if it is the motherboard (backplane) or a memory issue, or if there are any other diagnostic tools I could use that better describe issues other then memory locations and such.

And to BC, a blade in my context is a server that can be mounted onto a rack. Form factors are measured like 1U, 2U, 4U, etc. The above poster with the picture is a better example. :p

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 08:58:15 AM »
          If MemTest shows ANY errors at all it is faulty RAM sticks...

hodges91

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 09:01:56 AM »
            If MemTest shows ANY errors at all it is faulty RAM sticks...

But I have never seen all four sticks compose errors, and ones that are so extremely similar to each other. Which is why I have a suspicion that it may be the motherboard. Which is why I was also asking if there are further diagnostic tools. If it was only one stick giving errors I would be more confident that it is a memory error.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 09:17:54 AM »
            I don't follow this logic at all...

A ) You are unable to boot with only 1 stik of RAM in this situation...

B ) You can't use more than 1 slot configuration currently and boot successfully...

Therefore it would take approx 96 runs of MemTest to determine the bad stick in a 2 stick 2 slot setup.

Why not test this RAM 1 stick at a time outside the blade server ? ?
            Any desktop/laptop that takes that style/speed of RAM can be used...

This would only require 4 runs of MemTest at most.

hodges91

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 09:39:25 AM »
              I don't follow this logic at all...

A ) You are unable to boot with only 1 stik of RAM in this situation...

B ) You can't use more than 1 slot configuration currently and boot successfully...

Therefore it would take approx 96 runs of MemTest to determine the bad stick in a 2 stick 2 slot setup.

Why not test this RAM 1 stick at a time outside the blade server ? ?
              Any desktop/laptop that takes that style/speed of RAM can be used...

This would only require 4 runs of MemTest at most.

I'm not sure where you got 96 tests at. I've finished testing each duo of sticks in 24 tests. The reason I haven't tested the ram sticks in another computer is because we are mainly housing old computers here. I.E RAMBUS Modules and 168-pin SDRAM. Otherwise I would have done that in a heartbeat.

I am still awiting for a reply from IT to use a computer to test it on. Sadly.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              « Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 09:50:18 AM »
              Blade Specs:
              Dell PowerEdge 1750
              2GB (4x 512MB) 184-Pin ECC RAM
              3x 74GB SCSI HD's
              2.4GHz Intel Xeon Processor
              According to Crucial, this computer also supports non-ECC memory, DDR PC2700 (or higher) which is readily available.  Your IT department may have some.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=PowerEdge%201750
              « Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 10:29:10 AM by Computer_Commando »

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 10:22:01 AM »
              96....24...sorry bad Math on my end.