Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 0x000006ba - print spooler problem  (Read 22061 times)

Kando

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Experienced
    0x000006ba - print spooler problem
    « on: April 07, 2010, 02:58:10 PM »

The print spooler will not stay on, and when it gets restarted and something tries to print the error 0x000006ba comes up saying the print spooler is not running. And another error window comes up with "spooler subsystem app stopped worked and was closed". When I right click on the printer the 0x000006ba error window comes up.

The computer is running Vista home basic and the printer is networked using a jetdirect device. All of the settings in the computer are correct, the address for the printer is correct and the computer can get online. I just can not get the print spooler to stay connected.

I checked online for this error but all of the fixes say to use regedit, but the key they say to change is not there. When I try to add a printer the 0x000006ba error window comes up.

This is for a realtor so printing is a priority.

Please can anyone help on this?

Thanks

EEVIAC

Re: 0x000006ba - print spooler problem
    « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 03:29:12 PM »
    When you restart the spooler are you setting it to "automatic", by right clicking on the print spooler service and clicking "properties" ?  Try this if you haven't done so, yet..

Kando

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 03:37:53 PM »
      Hi, yes it is set to automatic.

There has been progress though. The computer is apparently sharing the printer for the whole office. I rechecked the wiring and found that someone had replugged the wires incorrectly. Redid it correctly and now the other computers can print, but not the one that is doing the sharing. The printer shows as Offline and when I right click on it there is no option to use Online. If I select Use Offline then Offline appears next to the printer twice.

Of course the computer doing the sharing belongs to the Boss so if the Boss isn't happy...

Thanks again.

EEVIAC

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 03:48:25 PM »
      I wish I was more handy with printers..

Is this a USB printer ?   Try unplugging it from the host computer for about 30 sec., plug it back in and wait for windows to detect it again.  Then go back and restart the print spooler.. Try printing again.

If no joy, go in control panel, "classic mode", open up "printers".  Is there a check mark on the printer ?  This would indicate that the printer is set as the default printer.  If not, right click on the printer and select, "set as default"...  Try printing again.

Kando

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 08:02:51 PM »
        I have unplugged the printer, unplugged the jetdirect device, restarted the computer, set the printer as default and it still had Offline next to it.

But you know, it just occurred to me to ask, why is it being shared if it already has the jetdirect attached? See what stepping away and having a good meal does for you?

If the printer already has an ip address then the other computers should be able to print to it without going through the bosses machine. Her problem is still there so bring on the ideas. Thanks

EEVIAC

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 08:19:35 PM »
        Ok, so you're using an actual network printer, not a shared printer.  I wasn't sure what you meant by Jet Direct.  sorry

So now the other computers can't print to it ? ?

Kando

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 08:28:35 PM »

No, the ip comes from the JetDirect Print Server device. The printer is usb and plugs into the jetdirect which is plugged into the router. There is a computer that can print, others can not, including the one that is sharing the printer. If I can get the other computers to print directly using the ip address then I will only have the bosses machine to worry about. Can't do anything until tomorrow afternoon, just want more ideas to take with me when I go there.

EEVIAC

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 08:38:35 PM »
          I'm really confused.

Just for the record.  If the printer is NOT networked through the RJ 45 port on the  printer, then the IP address, doesn't matter.

If you want to connect all the computers to the printer through printer "sharing", that's another ball park.

Which method do you want to use ?  TCP/IP or Shared ?

What are the Operating Systems used on ALL computers ?

Kando

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 09:37:22 PM »
            Sit back and I will tell you the setup starting at the printer.

USB printer plugged into the JetDirect by THE USB CABLE.
            JetDirect plugged into the router by Cat5
            The router is plugged into I believe a cable modem
            The other computers are plugged into the router

The JetDirect provides the ip address so that a printer WITHOUT an RJ45 port can be used on a network.

For some reason the guy that originally set up the office shared the printer through the bosses computer.

All other computers in the office have that printer set as their default.

So, the printer is shared even though it has an ip address from the JetDirect.

Which is why I was wondering why it was shared.

But that is all irrelevant since the printer still says OFFLINE. That is the problem, that is the question. I have gone through what I know should work in order to get the printer online but that has not worked.

How can I get the printer online?

EEVIAC

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 10:21:09 PM »
            If I was in your position, I would delete the printers from each computer, in control panel, and start over.  Once you do that, reinstall the drivers for the printer on each computer, then go through the process of configuring each computer to connect to the network printer using TCP/IP.  Just go to the "add a printer" option and go from there..

Here is a guide that I think will help.

http://www.technipages.com/vista-install-printer-via-ip-address.html

Maybe someone else has some other suggestions..

It would help if you listed the operating systems used in the network.

JJ 3000

Egghead
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 11:17:39 PM »
            For some reason the guy that originally set up the office shared the printer through the bosses computer.

So, it used to work and has now stopped. Is that right? What changes did you make right before this started? Tried doing a system restore yet?
            Save a Life!
            Adopt a homeless pet.
            http://www.petfinder.com/

Sn3akyP3t3

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 08:11:24 AM »
              I'm not really sure if this is the right approach.  Someone correct me if it seems illogical.

I'd start out with removing the printer drivers on the computer with the error.  Perhaps remove the printer share as well.  Reboot and see if you can get the print spooler started without the drivers for the printer you are having trouble connecting.  If you still get an error then try using system file checker.
              sfc /purgecache
              sfc /scannow
              reboot

If you don't get an error then try reinstalling the driver, but don't set up the printer share again.  I'm pretty sure all the computers will be able to print using the IP address of the directjet device.  Configure all the computers that need to print with the IP address in the properties settings under the tab "ports".  If the computer can ping the directjet device and no restrictions are set such as firewall or allowed devices then this should work.