Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: stop: c0000221 unknown hard error \systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll  (Read 16855 times)

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

Hi,
    I want to rebuild an old DELL Dimension 4400 computer (backside label 081zd11).
    Facts that may be important:
    The original HDD is missing, so I used another Samsung 120 GB HDD that is available.
    The original Samsung 128 MB PC2100 DDR RAM turned out to be broken, so I replaced it with Samsung 512 MB PC3200  DDR.

First of all, when I tried to install Win XP, by booting from CD, it would recognize the HDD, successfully created C and D partitions, but when it came to installing Windows on C, after downloading Windows files it would stop with blue screen message something like "The disk is corrupt... If you're using SCSI drive, make sure that SCSI something is terminated...". Not quite sure, but the message was  something like that.
    I removed that very HDD mounted it on a different machine successfully installed the Windows on C. Everything was cool. Removed it from that machine and mounted back on that DELL.
    Now when I start it, it won't start in normal mode. If I keep Automatically restart checked (in System Properties\Advanced tab\Startup and Recovery section\Settings\ System Failure section), Windows tires to start (I can see Win logo on black screen), but at half way it shifts to that choice screen where it offers the choice of Safe mode... Start windows normally. The choice of "Start Win normally" or "Last known good config..." bring back the same screen. Only the choice of Safe mode works. In safe mode everything looks OK, at least nothing yellow in Device Manager.
     If Automatically restart is unchecked, it shows a "stop: c0000221 unknown hard error \systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll" message on a blue screen at startup.
    Please advice.

aejazroshan

Starter

Re: stop: c0000221 unknown hard error \systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll
      « Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 05:44:21 AM »
      hai iam aejaz
      according to me, first u have to try this
      first change the ram and install the windows if u get again blue screen then i will
      tell u what to do

ok thank u

gev

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 06:37:42 AM »
        Thanks, but RAM is already changed. If with original RAM or any other RAMs the system won't even start, with this one I could at least access BIOS, Win safe mode, etc. Saying change it, what do you specifically mean? Do you mean to say that PC2100 128 MB (like original) must be used, or what?

pcs365_2

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 05:31:38 AM »
          Hi,

1.Restart your computer. The ntdll.dll error you're receiving could be due to a one-time, temporary issue and a simple reboot may resolve the problem completely.

2.Reinstall the program if the ntdll.dll error only displays when you use a specific program.

If the software program has any updates or service packs available, install them too. The software's programmers may have identified an issue with the program that caused the ntdll.dll error and then issued a patch for it.

Note: Third party software programs that have been installed on your computer are almost always the cause of ntdll.dll errors. The remainder of these troubleshooting steps resolve ntdll.dll issues only rarely.

3.Check the Windows service pack level you're running and then check Microsoft's support site to see if there is a more recent service pack available for installation. Some issues that caused ntdll.dll errors have been corrected in these service packs from Microsoft.

4.Selectively disable Internet Explorer add-ons. If your ntdll.dll error is displaying when you start, run, or close Internet Explorer, an add-on may be causing the problem. Disabling each add-on, one by one, will determine which add-on is the culprit (if any).

Note: As a workaround, assuming the ntdll.dll error really is Internet Explorer related, install and use a competing browser like Firefox.

5.Rename the NLSPATH system variable. If your Windows system does not have this environment variable, skip this step.

Note: This is a troubleshooting step for this issue only. Be sure to set this path back to its original name if this does not resolve the ntdll.dll issue.

6.Disable Data Execution Prevention for Explorer.exe. As in the previous step, this is for troubleshooting the ntdll.dll issue only. If this doesn't resolve the problem, return the Data Execution Prevention settings to their previous settings.

7.Update drivers for any hardware in your computer where updated drivers are available. Outdated drivers sometimes cause ntdll.dll errors.

8.Test your memory for damage. If you're receiving ntdll.dll messages, one possible cause could be a bad memory module in your system. Testing your memory will either identify a problem or clear your RAM of any responsibility.

Replace your memory if it fails any of your tests.

9.Ntdll.dll errors could occur if you have an Iomega Zip drive on the same IDE cable as the hard drive inside your computer. If so, move the Zip drive to a dedicated IDE controller.

10.Replace the IDE cable connecting the hard drive to the motherboard. If this cable is damaged or malfunctioning, one symptom could be the ntdll.dll error you're seeing.

11.Repair your installation of Windows. If individual software reinstallations fail to resolve the problem, a repair installation of Windows will replace the ntdll.dll file.

12.Perform a clean installation of Windows. A clean installation will completely remove Windows from your PC and install it again from scratch. I don't recommend this option unless you've exhausted all previous troubleshooting ideas and you're comfortable that the ntdll.dll error is not caused by a single program (Step #2).

Note: If a single program or plugin is causing the ntdll.dll error, reinstalling Windows and then reinstalling all of the same software may lead you right back to the same ntdll.dll error.

13.While extremely rare, if everything else has failed, including the clean installation from the last step, you could be dealing with a hardware issue with your hard drive.

PCS365.2
          Bangalore.