Hardware > Hardware

PC powers off and then powers back on

<< < (3/3)

Rebo00 aka Spank:
Only happens when playing games, doing anything else it doesn't happen

Rebo00 aka Spank:
For anyone that is interested in this or comes across the same thing, i was able to fix it with the help of Black & White 2.

I remembered a few days ago reading about a game burning out the new GTX460s because it had no max FPS set and on a still screen would the card would try drawing into the 1000s of FPSs.

I was experiencing the same type of shutdown when playing Black & White 2, luckily when you open the game and it starts its loading screen it shows the FPS in the top left corner. On the Lionhead loading screen this was in the region of 70FPS.

The next screen would be the EA Games screen which is a still screen, the FPS would jump up to 500 and when it hit 520 the game would shut down.
Although unable to set MAX FPS for B&W2 that i could see, i change the Nvidia Settings to use Vertical Sync for Black & White 2 (previously on "Let the program choose").
Vertical Sync limits the FPS to the refesh rate of the screen, so 60hz refresh rate = 60fps max.

Once set, the EA GAmes screen would go no higher than 60fps and the game has been working fine since.

It was the GFX Card halting which caused the system to reboot, basically to stop overheating and burning out the card.

Most games have a MAX FPS set so you only need to do it on a per program basis really.

Hope this helps some people!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version