Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive Failing - ECC Errors - Windows XP  (Read 17576 times)

ossilix

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hard Drive Failing - ECC Errors - Windows XP
    « on: July 28, 2010, 10:59:20 PM »
    My computer runs Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2. It was custom-built in 2002 with some upgrades in 2005. (It's not a brand name off-the-shelf.) Here is some info from Belarc Advisor:

System Model:
    VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366-8233/5
    Enclosure Type: Desktop

Processor:
    2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Not hyper-threaded         

Main Circuit Board:
    Board: VT8366-8233/5
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 06/20/2002

It is not listed in Belarc but the motherboard is Chaintech Apogee 7VJL.

I have the original WIndows XP home edition CD that came with the computer. I can't find the discs that came with the motherboard, I think they may not have given them to me.

I was getting ready to finally install Windows XP SP3 (after putting it off for a long time) but began discovering problems.

The hard drive is a 120gb Samsung SP1203 IDE Hard Drive that I have been using for 5 years. I ran the Samsung diagnostic tool HUTIL on it, and all of the tests said "PASS" until the final one, Read Surface Scan which said this:

C:1267 H:1 S:715 Error: ECC Error
    C:1268 H:1 S:687 Error: ECC Error
    Error: This drive has some defects

And it said "recommend to do Erase HDD".

I don't know what an ECC Error is (couldn't find a straight answer on Google) but I assume it means my hard drive is failing.

Do I need to stop using the computer immediately? Is there anything I can do to keep it going? Would running ChkDsk /f /r help? What is an ECC error and how serious is it?

I do backup my important data to an external hard drive regularly.

I use this computer for many things and it works great, I never have any problems with it until recently when my Windows XP startup/shutdown began exhibiting a long lag time, which is how this problem came to light. I don't know if this problem is causing the slow startup/shutdown, but I suspect it's not related.

I know my computer is very old but I just can't afford to buy a new one now and need to save this one if possible.

I could run the Erase HDD thing hoping that it will fix the problem then reinstall everything, but I doubt it would work. Even if it did I'm concerned that I will never be able to get all of the hardware and software I have working again (especially the Soundblaster Audigy sound card with a special front hub with audio inputs on it that I need to be able to use).

I know very little about computer hardware. The only other option I can find is to install a new hard drive. But my motherboard (being so old) works only with IDE hard drives, which after searching I realize are hard to find since everything is SATA now. Would it be possible to use a SATA to IDE converter, or SATA controller card, to be able to use a SATA hard drive in my computer? Or is the motherboard too old for that to even work?

Any advice anyone can give me would be very helpful, I really can't lose this computer. :-(

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Hard Drive Failing - ECC Errors - Windows XP
    « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 11:51:09 PM »
    Instead of a SATA to IDE converter, I'd just pick up a PCI SATA controller and upgrade the system to SATA. The SATA controller cards are not very expensive, usually around $20-$30

I wouldnt take any chances with a hard drive that fails diagnostics unless the system is used for unimportant purposes. Usually when a drive is dying you will get a S.M.A.R.T error message, although its not uncommon for a drive to die without warning as well.

ossilix

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 12:14:34 AM »
      Dave, do you think that the rest of my system isn't so old that it's not worth trying to fix it? Would a PCI SATA card work with my motherboard etc?

Also would it be possible to keep the existing IDE hard drive installed as a secondary internal drive along with a new SATA one?

EDIT: My motherboard is very old, and Chaintech's website doesn't have drivers for their motherboards (they don't make motherboards anymore). Even if it did I don't think they ever had SATA drivers for this board. Since I can't get a SATA driver for my motherboard, does that mean I can't use a SATA hard drive even if I get a SATA PCI controller card? Especially since I need to use the SATA drive as the primary drive?
      « Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 01:14:21 AM by ossilix »

ossilix

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 03:18:13 AM »
        Should I run chkdsk /f /r? Is there a chance that will make the problem worse?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 11:54:01 AM »
        Yes, run it, won't hurt it at all.  It won't run while Windows is running but on the next reboot, if you answer "yes".

I had no problems with this card in a 10-year old P-III.
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132009&cm_re=sata_pci_card-_-16-132-009-_-Product

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 12:16:33 PM »
        The command is chkdsk /r (drop the /f switch). And you should run it from the Recovery Console.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 12:31:50 PM »
        My computer runs Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2...
        BTW, support has ended for SP2.

ossilix

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 12:57:58 PM »
          I had no problems with this card in a 10-year old P-III.
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132009&cm_re=sata_pci_card-_-16-132-009-_-Product

Did you use it to install a SATA drive as the primary drive? I couldn't find any SATA cards that were bootable and that one doesn't mention if it is or not.

BTW I think I would rather just get an IDE drive if it will avoid any problems. I posted about that here: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,108076.0.html

ossilix

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 12:58:59 PM »
            BTW, support has ended for SP2.

Yes I know, I was getting ready to install SP3 when I discovered the errors on the hard drive.  :( I shouldn't install SP3 on this drive now that it's got errors, right?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 02:48:39 PM »
            ... I shouldn't install SP3 on this drive now that it's got errors, right?
            Right.
            You can test the hard drive with the drive manufacturer's software.  It can usually correct any errors that Windows can't correct.
            http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

ossilix

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 05:12:50 PM »
              Quote from: Computer_Commando
              You can test the hard drive with the drive manufacturer's software.  It can usually correct any errors that Windows can't correct.
              http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Thanks - I did run the Samsung diagnostic, that's how I knew there was a problem. The only option it offered was to erase the hard drive, no guarantee that it would fix the problem. I'd rather try installing a new drive first, in case the new drive doesn't work at least I'll have something to fall back on until i can figure something else out.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              « Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 05:22:50 PM »
              There is other diagnostic software that will probably fix the drive, but at $100, it's not worth it to you.
              http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 05:49:08 AM »
              There is other diagnostic software that will probably fix the drive, but at $100, it's not worth it to you.
              http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
              Wow. The drive is shot. Replace it. Next.

ossilix

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 01:59:55 PM »
                Quote from: Allan
                Wow. The drive is shot. Replace it. Next.

What specifically makes you say that? I am trying to replace it - do you think I have enough time to be able to do it thoughtfully or should I just do it as fast as possible?

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 02:06:55 PM »
                Your drive is failing the diagnostic tests. Copy critical data and replace it. Or don't - it's up to you.