Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problems with ATI Radeon 5670 Video Card  (Read 4235 times)

fundamentalnail

Problems with ATI Radeon 5670 Video Card
« on: August 12, 2010, 05:42:13 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm at my wits end at the moment! I recently purchased a Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB video card for my PC, as I grew sick of my outdated Nvidia 8600 GTS card (my goodness it sucks). Anyway, I fit the card, installed the drivers and it worked fine for a few days. Until....
I turned off the computer one evening and went to turn it on the following morning. The GPU fan was spinning very fast and very loudly, which was unusual as it had been so quiet before. What's more, there was no display on the monitor!
Now, I went through the steps, perhaps it was the monitor? (I tried the monitor on a different computer, and it worked fine). Eventually I took my PC to a repair shop, to see if the problem was with my PC....the conclusion was that the video card was working intermittently - I had a faulty card!
So, I returned the card back to the company I bought it from and they replaced it with a different card (same brand and make).
Once again, I installed the new card and it worked fine again for several days. Bear in mind that during this time, I did not turn off my computer. When I did however, the same problem occurred, loud fan and no signal to the monitor!
So, I resorted back to my old Nvidia 8600 card...and am currently putting up with it.
My question is, what do you think might be the problem?
First I'll give you my specs

RAM: 4GB installed RAM
PSU: 500W
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU 2.40 GHz

Now, according to the manual for the 5670 card, the requirements are some free hard drive space (which I have) and a 400W PSU.....
I don't know if my PSU is insufficient, causing the card not to work....however I succeed the recommended requirements only by 100W though).
Is it possible that by the time the other components of the PC are powered, there is no enough wattage to power the card? (I'm sorry if my hypothesis seems ignorant....it's because I am pretty ignorant and uneducated on the topic ;) )

So yes, any idea of what the problem is and what can be done to correct it would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Tim_Cdy

Beginner

Re: Problems with ATI Radeon 5670 Video Card
    « Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 11:32:56 PM »
    Maybe. Is a generic or a decent branded TP model. You could try working out the power draw for all your components and then get a total that way. You will see if if the power draw of the Graphix. It could just a 12 volt rail that is insufficient.

Accessless

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Problems with ATI Radeon 5670 Video Card
    « Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 12:42:31 AM »
    It doesn't look like you are overloading the PSU, but then I can't see the PC. The best thing that I can think of is to try a different PSU and see if it blows up another one.

Actually you state that the computer is left on for long periods and you make it sound unsupervised. Do you have sufficient ventilation in your case? Otherwise it maybe that you are cooking your GPU's.