Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Folders and Files not in alphabetical order  (Read 14283 times)

Daniel Cunningham

Folders and Files not in alphabetical order
« on: July 29, 2005, 05:29:13 PM »
Until about 6 weeks back all folders and file names appeared in alphabetical order when I opened a program or looked in My Documents.  Now they are never in alphabetical order.  Sometimes the last one used is at the bottom and each one opened after that will go to the bottom.  I can go to View, click Icons, then go back to Lists and they will be in alphabetical order until I close the program and go back to it again, then they are out of order again.  The same will happen if I have them in order under List-Icons.  This happens in QuickBooks, My Documents, Word, Excel and all other programs.  It is very time consuming to find the correct folder or file when I never know where it might appear. ???

merlin_2

Re: Folders and Files not in alphabetical order
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 05:53:03 PM »

Daniel Cunningham

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 06:07:55 PM »
As an example, if I make a new folder for My Documents, I set up the folder while in My Documents, then file various files in that folder.  When I leave My Documents and return, the new folder may be anywhere, but it is there.  I will then go to View, Arrange Icons by Name and they will be in alphabetical order.  When I leave and return they will be out of order again.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 06:14:18 PM »
    In broad terms I think you have to tell it to remember the folder options (Arrange Icons by Name) & reset all the folders to those options as well.
    It's not rocket science.  :)

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 07:28:51 PM »
    FED is right.

Right-click any white space inside the My Documents folder, and make sure Auto Arrange and Arrange Files by Name is selected.