Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Faint horizontal lines on screen...  (Read 7313 times)

Gemini6

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Faint horizontal lines on screen...
    « on: September 28, 2010, 10:27:10 AM »
    Hey everyone... again :P

I just wanted to ask about something I've been noticing with my LCD monitor. I see these faint, horizontal lines that run across the screen... they're really barely noticeable, but I know on my Windows log on screen with the blue background, I can see them pretty clearly.

I just put in a new video card a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure if the lines have been there since putting in the new video card or if they started some time after putting it in, but I know they weren't there with my old video card.

Something that I thought might be contributing to this, though - my video card doesn't have a VGA port. I had to get a DVI-VGA adapter for it so I could plug my monitor in. Do you think this could be causing the faint lines? I've checked and reseated the cable running both to the monitor and to the card, but the lines still appear.

It's really not a big deal for me - like I said, the lines are barely noticeable, but I just want to make sure that something more serious isn't going on as my luck with computers is pretty awful lol I've searched around online and can't really find anything related to this issue, so I wanted to check with you guys and see if you had any ideas, suggestions, etc :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Monitor: ViewSonic Optiquest Q19wb
    Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5670

Oh, and my temps are and have been fine. Right now, and while just working or surfing the Internet, CPU temps are at 28/32C. GPU at 35C. The GPU temp goes up to around 42C while playing a game, etc, which I think is normal. So I don't think any of the hardware temperatures are the culprit... but most of you know better than I do when it comes to these things, so, let me know... :P

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Faint horizontal lines on screen...
    « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 11:52:45 AM »
    Have you tried changing the resolution and the refresh rate?

ATI Radeon HD 5670

I was planning on getting one of those, hopefully that is not the problem.
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Gemini6

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 01:14:21 PM »
      Well, the refresh rate only has one setting - 60 Hertz. As for the resolution, I let the computer set that on its own when I installed the video card, which is 1440x900. I thought it may have been the refresh rate, too, so that was the first thing I checked.

Thanks for your reply, Linux711 :)

By the way, I don't think it's an issue with the card, so don't worry - and if it is, it's probably because of that DVI to VGA adapter I had to use... at least that's what I'm hoping :P

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 01:43:51 PM »
      Try 1024 X 768...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "