Software > Virus and spyware removal

Pc Problems

<< < (12/16) > >>

SuperDave:
Ok. Let's see if we can fix that update problem.

Download Dial-a-Fix by djlizard, save it to the desktop then extract it to it's own folder.

•Open the folder and run Dial-a-fix.exe
•2 windows will open. Close the one in the background labeled Restrictive Policies
•Check the box in section 1, Empty temp folders.

•Check the box in section 2, Fix Windows Installer.

•Check the box in section 3, Fix Windows Update.

•Check the box in section 4, labeled SSL/HTTPS/Cryptography. The 4 boxes under it should be pre-checked

•Check all boxes in section 5, labeled Registration Center.

•Click Go

•OK any error messages if received, but write them down and post them here.

•Restart the computer when done.
You can check out that Generic Host process here.

thammondwis:
OK I ran the Dial-a-fix program and the error messages are listed below.  I tried to get to the windows update site to see if anything has changed and still can't connect.  The microsoft  solution link you provided for the Generic Host Process error did not help because that fix is only for SP2 and I am running SP3.  I did notice something interesting in the microsft link it mentioned something about the Generic Host Process error is related to a problem with the previous shutdown.  For the last week or so I have not been able to perform a soft shut down or reboot.  I have to shut down or reboot with a hard reboot.

I had an error in the dial-a-fix before the program started:

Dial-a-fix was unable to determine your version on Internet Explorer.  Certain DLL registrations will be skipped.

There wasn't a 2nd window labeled Restrictive Policies that opened.

Below are the error messages that occurred while the program was running.

Error 127: C:\Windows\System32\iesetup.dll is not registerable or the file is corrupted. Your version of iesetup.dll is 8.00.6001.18702. Please contact [email protected] so that an exception can be made for your version of this file.

Error 127: C:\Windows\System32\iesetup.dll is not DLLInstall-able or the file is corrupted. Your version of iesetup.dll is 8.00.6001.18702. Please contact [email protected] so that an exception can be made for your version of this file.

Error 127: C:\Windows\System32\imgutil.dll is not registerable or the file is corrupted. Your version of imgutil.dll is 8.00.6001.18702. Please contact [email protected] so that an exception can be made for your version of this file.

Error 127: C:\Windows\System32\inseng.dll is not registerable or the file is corrupted. Your version of inseng.dll is 8.00.6001.18702. Please contact [email protected] so that an exception can be made for your version of this file.

Error 127: C:\Windows\System32\inseng.dll is not DLLInstall-able or the file is corrupted. Your version of inseng.dll is 8.00.6001.18702. Please contact [email protected] so that an exception can be made for your version of this file.

Error 127: C:\Windows\System32\mshtml.dll is not registerable or the file is corrupted. Your version of mshtml.dll is 8.00.6001.18975(?). Please contact [email protected] so that an exception can be made for your version of this file.

Error 127: C:\Windows\System32\mshtml.dll is not DLLInstall-able or the file is corrupted. Your version of mshtml.dll is 8.00.6001.18975(?). Please contact [email protected] so that an exception can be made for your version of this file.

Error 127: C:\Windows\System32\msrating.dll is not registerable or the file is corrupted. Your version of msrating.dll is 8.00.6001.18702. Please contact [email protected] so that an exception can be made for your version of this file.

Error 127: C:\Windows\System32\occache.dll is not registerable or the file is corrupted. Your version of occache.dll is 8.00.6001.18968. Please contact [email protected] so that an exception can be made for your version of this file.

Error 127: C:\Windows\System32\occache.dll is not DLLInstall-able or the file is corrupted. Your version of occache.dll is 8.00.6001.18968. Please contact [email protected] so that an exception can be made for your version of this file.

Error 127: C:\Windows\System32\pngfilt.dll is not registerable or the file is corrupted. Your version of pngfilt.dll is 8.00.6001.18702. Please contact [email protected] so that an exception can be made for your version of this file.

Error 127: C:\Windows\System32\webcheck.dll is not registerable or the file is corrupted. Your version of webcheck.dll is 8.00.6001.18702. Please contact [email protected] so that an exception can be made for your version of this file.

Error 127: C:\Windows\System32\webcheck.dll is not DLLInstall-able or the file is corrupted. Your version of webcheck.dll is 8.00.6001.18702. Please contact [email protected] so that an exception can be made for your version of this file.

thammondwis:
I am able to perform a "soft" shutdown of the computer if I click on shutdown right after the computer starts up.  I also reviewed the program lists in the Add/Remove program listing.  There is one program that I was not sure about called CouponBar.  I decided to remove it based on some internet research, but clicking on the remove button does not do anything.

SuperDave:
Ok. Please try to uninstall it with HJT.

Delete An Uninstall Entry

•Start HijackThis

•Click on the Open the Misc Tools section

•Click on the Open Uninstall Manager button.

•Highlight the entry you want to remove.
•Click Delete this entry

Do you get any errors when trying to get your updates?
When was the last time you defragged your harddrive?

thammondwis:
OK I was able to get rid of CouponBar with HJT.

The message I get when trying to connect to the Windows update site is:

With FireFox the tab says: "Problem Loading Page"  and the error message on the page is:

The connection was reset
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading
Then it has some suggestions to what the problem could be and a button to try again which results in the same thing.

IE is hung up right now so I will need to reboot the computer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version