Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: retouching image in photoshop 7  (Read 2599 times)

Guzeppi

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    retouching image in photoshop 7
    « on: October 24, 2010, 01:27:48 PM »
    I tried to repaint the black hair of a subject in one of my photos but the result was as if the subject was wearing a wig
    because  the blackness came out as flat as a plastic smear on the head.

How to make the hair look lively (like in the original shot) and not a dark featureless patch?

Step-by-step instructions, if possible, please, as am an oldage pensioner struggling with computer navigation.

Grateful for your help.
    GUZEPPI

Salmon Trout

Re: retouching image in photoshop 7
    « Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 01:40:56 PM »
    Hair is a difficult thing to get right, even experts don't always manage a good job. I would find a picture of somebody with the kind of hair that you want and use the image clone brush to paint hair into the picture you are trying to alter.

If it looked lively in the original shot, why are you messing with it?

Guzeppi

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 01:51:30 PM »
      Thks for prompt help.  Will try cloning , as you suggest.

I am messing with the original as I changed the background which is now a light brown colour but, in doing so, the edge of the head of hair where it meets the background colour shows a thin layer of brown which I want to change to black.

As for the featureless black, perhaps I should forget about it since you say it is a very difficult job which bothers even the experts, let alone me.

Thank you again.
      GUZEPPI

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 02:27:32 PM »
      Type Photoshop hair into Google for lots of discussions and tips about this famously tricky subject.

Just 2 out of many

http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/tutorials/handy-techniques-for-cutting-out-hair-in-photoshop

http://mediadesigner.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=19756