Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop  (Read 8177 times)

Elmac1932

Topic Starter

Starter

Laptop
    « on: November 13, 2010, 06:23:51 AM »
     Hi - I have a fairly new Samsung 17" and I know I can keep it plugged in on the mains but is it possible to change the battery in a portable pc. I probably could ask Samsung whats in is a 6 cell which is supposed to be good but it doesn't last above an hour. Thanks Elmac 1932 ???

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Laptop
    « Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 07:39:49 AM »
    Yes, you can replace the battery and, with most makes and models, you can find sources other than the manufacturer.  And, non-manufacturer sources often sell at much lower prices. I suggest Amazon.com. 

By the way, how long did your battery last when you first bought the computer?  Do you often need to run it on battery or can you normally keep it plugged into a wall outlet?  Have you tried running your computer plugged in and with battery out?  If it works that way, using that way part of the time is a way to extend your battery's useful life. 

Cifa

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 12:35:03 PM »
      Thanks for the tip soybean. I had a dell xps that had a very limited battery life so I just left it plugged in and eventually the battery died completely. Now the laptop I use runs great with the battery out so I think I will continue to run it like this and insert the batter only when it needs to be charged.  :)

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 05:19:20 PM »
        In regards to your question . Quite some time ago (over a year) i did some research on this subject and at that time found a very technically knowledgeable battery expert that provided a definitive answer which basically was it was better to always leave the battery in the laptop. On your behalf i tried to find that report again and was unable. Probably due to changed search parameters. However i did find this site which contains a variety of opinions (some probably not founded in technical knowledge)--but the one down the page by "chupa chupa of Nov.6/2006 essentially seems to offer the same response with the same logic.
        http://forums.dealmac.com/read.php?4,2628755,2628755
        Hope this helps with your decision,truenorth