Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: convert XP retail to oem ?  (Read 7176 times)

Sound Wave

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • Experience: Familiar
    convert XP retail to oem ?
    « on: December 18, 2010, 11:12:01 PM »
    Is it legal to take a copy of Windows XP retail and modify it to make it OEM ?  Say I acquired a legitimate copy of retail XP Home, and made an OEM copy from it (using a known method), and used the license key on my OEM machine to activate it ??

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: convert XP retail to oem ?
    « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 12:04:15 AM »
    Welcome!
    Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help. We help everyone with all computer questions.

Nothing wrong with asking.
    The EULA specifies how the user is to use the software. Or how not to use the software. To modify the software in such a way as to cause harm to the copyright holder is not allowed. 

Some versio0ns of OEM windows OS have a simplified method of activation so that it is easier to deploy on PCs made by a certain manufacture. If you have a major manufacture of PCs, Microsoft will make a contract with yhou to put an OEM version on all the machines you sell.

If you are making a small number of PCs, you may buy a special OEM version that you can install on a computer you build in your garage. You must buy one for each PC you sell and give the DVD to the customer.

Otherwise, no, do not convert a retail version to OEM. Instead, buy a OEM version for small custom PC makers.

Microsoft may change policies and practices at any time. More information is on the Microsoft web site.

BTW, if you intend to do something qusi-legal with copyright software, this is not the right place.
    So rather that wait for an answer here, just Google:
    "How to break copyright laws"
    Watch out! This brings up malicious sites!

qusi-legal
    Almost as it were.... In the legal sense, the term denotes that one subject has certain characteristics in common with another ...Alike in some sense, but not...

Sound Wave

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
      « Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 12:13:36 AM »

Otherwise, no, do not convert a retail version to OEM. Instead, buy a OEM version for small custom PC makers.

But isn't it the license key that you are paying for ?  I already have a valid OEM license key, I just lack the OEM installation disc.. 

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 01:27:24 AM »
      How did you get a license key without getting the CD?

Normally you either buy one CD and one key at a time.
      -OR-
      If you are doing mass production you buy one CD and a number of keys to use.

This is covered on the MS site.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/localized_licenses.aspx
      http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx
      -OR-
      http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=885079
      http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Microsoft_changes_OEM_license,_forcing_new_purchases_after_motherboard_upgrade

This from Google : MS OEM license
      Or you could call their 800 number ad beg for an activation code. Works sometimes.

Sound Wave

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
        « Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 02:05:33 AM »
        How did you get a license key without getting the CD?

It's the license key that is on the COA sticker on one of my computers.  Generic (unbranded) copies of Windows will work with the keys found on those stickers, if it is the same version of Windows.  I know because I tested it before.

Doing the conversion of a retail disc gets you a generic OEM copy, and if you use the license key on the sticker of your computer, if it's the same version of Windows, it will activate with MS no problem.. 

However, is this legal ?  I don't know.  I've got a legit key, but I just don't know if modifying files on the disc is legal.  Sure I could buy a whole new OEM disc w/key, but I don't need another key, and I'm not planning on building a computer..  I guess I could find a used OEM disc without a key, for sale, but I'd rather make my own for free, if legal..

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 02:21:14 AM »
        You can force XP install to accept retail, OEM, or volume license keys by editing the setupp.ini file on the CD. This is especially useful for installing Windows XP on a computer with an OEM license when you've only got a retail CD handy. It involves making an ISO file of the retail disk, then using an ISO editor to make the changes correctly, then finally burning the new "OEM" disk. Beware though! This would only be legal if you have a valid OEM key. In fact it would also only be possible if you have a valid OEM key, since you need to activate the install. But what kind of OEM are we talking about here? There is Royalty OEM and plain OEM. Certain big OEMs [Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq, and more] are Royalty OEMs, and the little guys (your local mom + pop store) are obviously not.

Read through all the information on these pages:

http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7958

http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Product_IDs

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=342

Please note I have not done it myself, I just Googled these pages.

I just don't know if modifying files on the disc is legal.

We do not know what country you live in, so giving legal advice would be tricky, even if we are lawyers, which we are not. It would certainly be illegal to use the OEM disk to install on lots of computers without paying Microsoft the required fees, I guess, but since they would nto activate it would be pointless.

Sound Wave

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
          « Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 02:40:06 AM »
          Hi. The method that you described is what I've been talking about, and I've actually tested it.  I converted a retail XP Home disc to OEM, and used it to install onto an eMachines computer, which has the same version of Windows installed.  This is obviously not a branded type, so the only other type it could be is generic OEM, and it DOES work with the license key on the eMachines COA sticker, when activating Windows. 

I'd like some generic OEM copies of Windows like this, so when I help people, if they have lost their install media, and the manufacturer can't help, I can just wip out my own install media without having to look online and go through a hassle.  Of course, any installs I do would be using legit product keys, directly off the COA stickers from their computers.

I do have legit retail copies of XP Pro, and Windows 2000 Pro.. I just need XP "Home", "MCE", and "Tablet"

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 06:03:30 AM »
          Then i suggest purchasing them...

Topic Closed.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "