Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: One computer with 2 keyboards mice and screens  (Read 3765 times)

bishka

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

One computer with 2 keyboards mice and screens
    « on: January 19, 2011, 07:59:56 AM »
    I'm running windowsXP Home on a 2.1GHZ QuadCore with 2G of RAM

I already have two screens plugged into the Graphics card and a third on a USB/screen adaptor.

I would like to be able to connect 2 keyboards, mice and screens (one set in one room, the other set in another). The reason for doing this is so I can record into the computer in a separate room away from the computers fans and hard drive noise.

The existing key board and mouse are both PS2 . Do I just add a USB key board and mouse? Would another USB screen adapter be the best way to add the extra screen?

Regards Bishka
    Quote from  Barry Adamson "There's a light at the end of the tunnel, and when you see it, it means your dead."

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: One computer with 2 keyboards mice and screens
    « Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 08:05:31 AM »
    The piratical length of USB cable, if of the highest quality, is about 25 feet. The same could be said about a VGA cable.
    IMHO extending a PS/2 cable is not a good idea. I could be wrong, never tried it.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 10:18:48 AM »
    The existing key board and mouse are both PS2 . Do I just add a USB key board and mouse? Would another USB screen adapter be the best way to add the extra screen?

I don't know whether you can connect two different types of mice and keyboards at the same time. I've never done or tried that.  I believe a KVM switch is really the best solution here.  If you buy one, make sure it can function in reverse - that is, a single PC can be connected to multiple monitors, keyboards, and mice.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 10:19:49 AM »
    Sure you can. I have both a bluetooth and a ps2 mouse connected to my primary home system for those rare occasions when the bluetooth fails and I need a working mouse to navigate. And when I used a bluethooth keyboard (which lasted about a week before I tossed it) I also had a wired keyboard connected for the same reason.