Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compaq Presario CQ56 Laptop doesn't turn on  (Read 32226 times)

ARK

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Compaq Presario CQ56 Laptop doesn't turn on
    « on: April 13, 2011, 05:11:16 PM »
    I have a Compaq Presario CQ56 laptop that won't turn on. I've tried taking out the battery and unplugging it, holding the power button down for a minute then putting it back together again, but this does nothing. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Compaq Presario CQ56 Laptop doesn't turn on
    « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 05:21:55 PM »
    Chances are it's dead.

ARK

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 05:59:06 PM »
      Oh wow that sucks. I'm not sure how old this laptop is though but it does seem like this laptop has died.

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 07:24:45 PM »
      There are still a few options to try.

Try booting the laptop with A/C power only, take the battery out and leave it out for this test.

Alternately you can try booting the laptop with the battery only.

Let me know what happens.
      Evil is an exact science.

ARK

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 07:41:24 PM »
        Doing that didn't help.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 12:03:53 PM »
        Unfortunately, laptops are now like cellphones & most electronics and are considered disposable.  When they used to cost $2000 or more, one would repair it.  At $500-$1000, it's only worth repairing if it costs less than $100.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 12:24:38 PM »
        Based on Compaq Presario CQ56-100 Notebook PC series - Specifications, that computer is not very old.  It came with Windows 7 and has a 320GB hard drive.  If it's less than 1 year old, it's still under manufacturer's warranty.  Did you buy it? 

ARK

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 03:59:59 PM »
          It's not my laptop, but from what I know the warranty was made void by something the original owners did so It's no longer covered.

ARK

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 05:35:33 PM »
            I've taken the laptop apart and looked at the mobo, it seems fine. I'm going to clean it up a bit just to make sure. So either:
            1) The mobo (or part of it) is dead
            2) The adapter provides enough voltage but does not provide enough current (in which case I will need something to test the current or rent/ buy a new adapter to to test)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 05:53:56 PM »
            Seems that's the way many of them fail, just won't turn on.
            I've had the same experience.  Sold it to a supplier who parts it out.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 01:03:07 AM »
            If you want to troubleshoot further with the Laptop then try replacing 1.)CMOS battery, 2.)use one stick of RAM, 3.)remove network card

ARK

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 07:51:33 PM »
              If you want to troubleshoot further with the Laptop then try replacing 1.)CMOS battery, 2.)use one stick of RAM, 3.)remove network card

I've tested the CMOS battery and it fine, I've tried with one RAM, RAM in different position, clean the RAM and contacts, etc. I haven't tried without the network card but I don't think it's the issue, I will try it though when I put the laptop back together.

ptme45

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 08:28:16 PM »
                I have a Compaq Presario CQ56 laptop that won't turn on. I've tried taking out the battery and unplugging it, holding the power button down for a minute then putting it back together again, but this does nothing. Any suggestions? Thanks.

This was one of the first threads I came to when I had this same problem (same model laptop). I spent a week reading threads/troubleshooting and no one had the answer. Geek Squad said it was the motherboard/cpu, just get another computer etc etc etc. Before you do that or spend a ridiculous amount of money try this. I hope it helps someone else:

It may be some type of a standby issue or a problem with the lid being out of place. My laptop went into standby mode and wouldn't come out. I still don't know why but it eventually turned on.

I left the laptop on (black screen, caps lock light blinking once every few seconds, power light on, f12 light on orange) for an hour + and closed the lid. I left the charger and battery in the whole time. It got very hot. I then turned it off and tried to turn it back on -- it came on.

Not sure if this would work for everyone, but it's worth a try before resorting to other measures. If you get it back on, take off standby mode and set the computer to not go into sleep mode when you close the lid. Keep the charger in. Basically, turn down the screen brightness/power settings and let it run all the time until you figure out what the root cause is. If your battery is old, get a new one that will hold power for longer if you have to travel.

(((( sending positive vibes out there so that your laptop turns on and you can get some work done!!! <3 ))))