Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compaq Presario stuck in power saving mode  (Read 5706 times)

chantilly

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Compaq Presario stuck in power saving mode
    « on: April 27, 2011, 05:53:58 AM »
    Hi,
    I'm trying to fix an 18 month old Compaq Presario SR5722UK which seems to have got itself stuck in power saving mode.  On booting, it whirrs into action, keyboard lights flash on briefly, but nothing on screen except message saying it's in power saving mode.  After a few seconds, fans stop and keyboard becomes unresponsive.  Power light on tower remains on though.  I can't even get into the BIOS, although I'm not sure whether this is because of the unresponsive keyboard.   I've tried disconnecting power lead, swapping RAM modules around, removing CMOS battery for 15 mins, have tried new PSU and dedicated graphics card (it's presently using onboard graphics) but nothing I've tried brings it to life.  On googling the problem, this seems to be a very common problem with Compaqs but it seems to have a variety of solutions, most of which I've tried.  Just wondering if you guys have any other bright ideas as to what to do please?  Thank you in advance.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Compaq Presario stuck in power saving mode
    « Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 09:49:18 AM »
    First of all, welcome to Computer Hope!

Are you sure that power saving message is from the computer and not from the monitor? My old monitor used to say that when it would first turn on before getting a signal and right after the computer would turn off. A lot of monitors display this sort of message when they're not receiving a signal.

I also suspect this is the case, because if it is displaying this message before you can even get to a POST or into the BIOS, it's definitely coming from the monitor. However, if you have access to another brand of monitor, you could plug it in and see if the message still appears. If it does, it is indeed coming from the computer. If you no longer see the message after changing, that means it was coming from the monitor.

I know it seems like an annoying first step, but it's necessary so we can clarify where that message is coming from. I'm almost sure that's coming from the monitor itself.

If it is coming from the monitor, then you've probably got a hardware failure somewhere. I would guess either the motherboard or power supply. If it was the video card or memory, most motherboard will usually give a beep code to tell you. (Not completely ruling those out though.)

chantilly

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Compaq Presario stuck in power saving mode
      « Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 02:50:18 PM »
      Thank you for taking the trouble to reply - it is very much appreciated.

I'm 100% positive it's the computer and not the monitor.  I have tried the same monitor with a working computer and there's nothing wrong with it, and have also tried another monitor with the faulty computer and get the same power saving message.  I have tried a different power supply and get the same message.   My son took a look at it and thought that the processor wasn't quite seated correctly.  However, I need to buy some thermal paste before I can try reseating it.  Could this possibly lead to this type of problem?