Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to figure out which part of the computer is failing?  (Read 4917 times)

BaRR

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Certifications: List
    • Experience: Experienced
    How to figure out which part of the computer is failing?
    « on: April 23, 2011, 07:26:38 PM »
    I use my computer pretty hardcore compared to most computer users, and as a result I tend to destroy the hardware rather fast. On my previous laptop (which was admittedly poorly cooled) I had it repired 57 times over the course of it's 1.5 year lifespan. This time around, I didn't make the same mistake with the cooling, so I can rule that out. Additionally, I did extensive checking for viruses using, but not limited to HijackThis, BitDefender, Trend Micro, Spybot S&D, AdAware, and SuperAntiSpyware. So I can probably rule out it being malware, too. I've had this computer for about a year, so because of that and the aforementioned facts, I'm pretty sure a hardware component is failing. I don't know which one, but that's what I'm here to discuss.

My computer runs Windows 7, with a 60 gig OCZ Vertex and a 1 TB regular HDD. i7 processor, Gigabyte P55-U3DL mobo, 2x 2gig OCZ memory, nVidia 570 graphics card, and a Corsair Pro 750w PSU. I built it myself, and let me tell ya, it didn't run so terribly when I first built it. The first symptom was files taking a long time (~500ms) to read or write. As time has gone on, this delay has become longer to the point where it's around 4-5 seconds. I wasn't able to pinpoint which component it is, so I just dealt with it for a while. Now, however, video will tend to stutter; in varying ways, too. Video game rendering will run at a solid 50 FPS (it's capped because I have an LCD) no matter what game I play, but any time the visible area moves, the game will drop to a ridiculously bad 5-10 FPS. Without the FPS cap, most games will easily go to 150-200 FPS, so I find this to be very odd. Secondly, any video I play will randomly stop and sit there as if it's buffering, even though the bar could be completely full. After a few seconds it'll resume playing as normal. I tried reinstalling the video drivers, to no avail.

I checked the SMART info on both drives, the SSD shows read/write errors, and the HDD shows ridiculously high spin-up times. I'm thinking this could point to either a SATA Controller malfunction (the mobo) or both drives are failing simultaneously. The only reason I won't rule out both the HDD/SSD failing is because I had two Hard drives fail simultaneously a few years back. I don't want to replace the motherboard and still have a poorly performing system. Unfortunately, I don't have a HDD I can just swap out to test if it is indeed the motherboard. So, what other way could I go about figuring out which component is failing, if not through swapping parts?

truenorth

Guru

Re: How to figure out which part of the computer is failing?
      « Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 06:18:03 PM »
      You appear to have adequate ram but have you tested to see if they are all functioning. Heating issues (as you have learned from previous times ) can also cause this type of erratic behavior. Have you tried using a cooling pad when your using it? truenorth

BaRR

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 11:04:32 PM »
        I forgot to specify this is a desktop. :P It's got like 8 fans so it never goes over 45 Celsius. (I run a temp monitor.)

I haven't tested the ram yet actually though, so I'll give that a shot. Usually my computer would BSoD when the RAM died, but I figure there's no reason to rule it out until it's been tested.

BaRR

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 06:54:39 PM »
          Memory scan came back clean, so I'm guessing by the lack of responses I just have to go find some random hardware and swap it out to see if it makes a difference.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 09:33:21 AM »
            I am not a "gamer" myself but given your track record re by your own admission re how much you push your computers and how often you have failures i have a suggestion. I suspect that some (maybe most) of your problems emanate from hard drive issues (speed/access/amount of use). Have you considered that due to your gaming use requirements you might be better off with this?
            http://www.terapvp.com/threads/hard-drive-recommendation-for-tera.14/#axzz1KjoYiB6q
            truenorth

Lumpy44

Beginner
              • Yes
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 12:46:08 PM »
            I would say its the HDD. As they start to fail and wear out the amount of CPU usage getting data off of them increases a great deal. Another SSD or new HDD would be the best bet I would say. I know this from running mapping computers in my day to day. My HDD die in about a year and really strain the CPU when they are on the way out.