Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 computer icons in task bar - suspicious?  (Read 5833 times)

broigel

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    2 computer icons in task bar - suspicious?
    « on: May 03, 2011, 04:52:33 AM »
    When I connect to the internet I get a variety of icons in the task bar: sometimes I get a single computer icon, sometimes I get a single computer icon at first and then a minute later I get a double computer icon alongside the single computer icon, and sometimes I get 2 double computer icons alongside each other. Can anyone say why?
    I am concerned that I have a virus which logs keystrokes and transmits them elsewhere as there is always more packets sent than received on my machine. Is the double computer icon perhaps the sign of another port being used by a virus?
    And how do I get the extra double computer icon to cease? If I disable it, I lose my connection.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: 2 computer icons in task bar - suspicious?
    « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 05:52:53 AM »
    Do you mean computer icons on the notification area on the down right side of your monitor? Depending on how many network adapters installed on your PC, that indicates the computer icon present or showing the status of your LAN adapter. You could also post your computer model/brand or run a free software to identify what or how many devices installed on your PC.

broigel

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 07:07:44 AM »
      Yes, the bottom rh corner shows various icons including the blue computer icon(s) when connected to the net. I have 2 ways of connecting on this machine - either through an ethernet cable to one router on one phone line with one ISP or wirelessly to a different router on a different phone line with a different ISP.
      Today I started with the wireless connection and got one single computer icon only when connected - excellent, I'm sure the level of packets sent is as it should be with this.
      Now I'm connected via the ethernet cable and have one double computer icon showing - again excellent but why is this a double computer icon?
      And why do I sometimes get the single computer icon followed after a short while by an extra double computer icon, or the double computer icon followed after a short while by an extra double computer icon?
      I honestly believe that when 2 icons appear, the machine is sending information to a hacker. Is this the case?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 07:13:21 AM »
      No ...it's not the case.

If you are concerned about outbound traffic then install a Firewall app that logs it so you can see what's up...

The icons are standard Windows icons and are there to show your connection is working...

If you suspect a keylogger that is a completely different issue and there are programs you can run to sniff them out...if in fact there is 1 present on your machine.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

broigel

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 05:49:45 AM »
        Thanks for that but there is no doubt that when I have 2 double computer icons showing my machine is constantly sending packets of information, even when I have no web pages open. That worries me. Is there any program you could suggest for checking my machine for a keylogger virus?

The other thing is why do I get the variety of icons when I connect to the net? i.e. (a) a single computer icon, or (b) a double computer icon, or (c) a single plus a double computer icon or (d) 2 double computer icons ? What do they all mean and why does it vary?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 10:01:14 AM »
        The double,single computer icon is your network status. I believe you have a desktop with a LAN and a WLAN card and is connected on a 4 port wireless router. You should also have an antivirus installed and atleast a Windows firewall enabled. I dont get on why you are alarm for the packets sent, received. Where are you getting your information? There is a Virus and Spyware section available on this forum. Do you want to check your computer for any keylogger virus?

broigel

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 04:04:19 AM »
          The machine is a desktop with an ethernet connection to one router and a wireless connection to another router. I wonder if the single computer icon is for the ethernet connection and the double computer icon is for the wireless connection?
          Recntly I have not been getting the extra double computer icon after the initial icon. The only thing that's changed is that I am no longer using the Outpost firewall - it has ceased to work, constantly needing keys which it constantly rejected when entered. Could it be that Outpost was the cause of the extra icon? Seems unlikely.
          Re where I get the information as regards packets sent, this appears when you right click the icon and choose Status - you then see the activity as regards packets sent and received.
          When I have one computer icon only, the packets sent looks sensible - there is no activity right now for example and the total packets sent is 4435 after having been connected for 2 hours. However when the extra double computer icon appears the packets being sent is constant and huge - even though I am doing nothing on the machine, it will be sending packets all the time, reaching 60,000 in a short time and going higher still.
          So why is this? And why do I seem to have only the one computer icon now?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 09:46:53 AM »
          Looking at mine, when I'm "idle" (not downloading/uploading anything or doing anything with the network) my packets still increase at a rate of about 1000 a second.

A program you can use to view open connections is TCPView. Sysinternals used to have a program called TDIMon that would actually allow you to see the programs responsible for packets, but I can't seem to get it working and the only downloads for it are mirrored FTP sites.

In either case, nowadays for the most part if you are on a website there is still some extended communications between your machine and the host; the web is no longer just a bunch of static web pages, and many websites use Dynamic HTML and especailly AJAX which may periodically request information from the server; for example Hotmail's inbox will stay relatively up to date even if you don't refresh. Also, browser addons like forecastfox and flagfox, WOT, and so forth will create additional connections and more traffic as well.

The main "take-away" from this should be that the status numbers are absolutely meaningless. unless they are going up by millions when you have absolutely no programs open, there really isn't anything to worry about, and if that were the case you would have other problems (slow network). Also, to my understanding wireless utilities often perform constant checks to make sure the wireless connection and access point are still there.

Also, I might add that keyloggers don't work by constantly sending data across the wire- and even if they did, are you really typing enough to quantify thousands of packets a second? The reason they don't is simple- it's too easy to detect. Usually a keylogger will log keys and other info to a hidden file (sometimes hidden by a rootkit) and at intervals it will upload that file to a remote site, or sometimes the keylogger has backdoor capabilities that can allow the writer to access your machine and copy said file as well as do other stuff. Again, though, if that was the case, you would have more serious problems and symptoms then you do now.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

broigel

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 06:00:28 AM »
            Thanks for this - it is helpful. I do accept that there are always some packets being sent and received but it's when this is a constant stream with no web page loaded that I'm worried. This only happens when there are 2 computer icons showing and remember that the second icon arrives 30 secs after the first - it's like I've connected to the net and then a further connection is made which I have no control over. Given that this does not happen always, could this be the keylogger periodically uploading the rootkit file?

I have done a HijackThis scan and this lists the following item:

O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - CACE Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe

I have searched for advice on the net and some say this is OK and some say it's a keylogger. Either way it will not respond to an HJT fix. Can anyone advise me as regards this?

Re symptoms, my machine is very unstable right now. I did pick up a virus this week - it was the "XP Total Support" scam which keeps popping messages up (same as System Tool). (I love the way my AV and Firewall always let these things straight through!) I found 2 files responsible and managed to delete them. One was called ogo.exe and was a system file. Deleting it has ruined my Desktop - none of the icons open anything any more, just say "not recognised" or ask me which propgram I wish to open the item with. Same with the Start menu - disaster. I am wondering whether carrying out a system restore might help here?

And just to round off a great week, I find that my new laptop with Windows 7 WILL NOT OPEN a number of programs that have always run on previous versions of Windows - they are essential to me. Thanks again Microsoft! If I ever get a chance to burn your HQ to the ground......

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 06:53:33 AM »
            Thanks for this - it is helpful. I do accept that there are always some packets being sent and received but it's when this is a constant stream with no web page loaded that I'm worried. This only happens when there are 2 computer icons showing and remember that the second icon arrives 30 secs after the first - it's like I've connected to the net and then a further connection is made which I have no control over. Given that this does not happen always, could this be the keylogger periodically uploading the rootkit file?

I don't think so. a keylogger would use your existing connection, it would be rather silly to create a new "pretend" connection and send data that way.

I have done a HijackThis scan and this lists the following item:

O23 - Service: Remote Packet Capture Protocol v.0 (experimental) (rpcapd) - CACE Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\WinPcap\rpcapd.exe

I have searched for advice on the net and some say this is OK and some say it's a keylogger. Either way it will not respond to an HJT fix. Can anyone advise me as regards this?
            I have winPCap installed. A number of network tools and utilities take advantage of it. Netstumbler, Wireshark, Airsnort, etc. You can uninstall it via Add/Remove, or disable the RDP windows service "properly" in services.msc.

Deleting it has ruined my Desktop - none of the icons open anything any more, just say "not recognised" or ask me which propgram I wish to open the item with. Same with the Start menu - disaster. I am wondering whether carrying out a system restore might help here?

you could try the EXE association fix here. It might be a good idea to run through the guide here and post a thread in this forum. More likely than not there is still some lingering piece of malware installed, and at the very least I imagine the malware experts should have some experience restoring functionality after an infection as well.

And just to round off a great week, I find that my new laptop with Windows 7 WILL NOT OPEN a number of programs that have always run on previous versions of Windows - they are essential to me. Thanks again Microsoft! If I ever get a chance to burn your HQ to the ground......

Which Programs? I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and I've yet to find any Windows program that I cannot run as a result. I cannot run 16-bit applications but that's a given. I am of course not invalidating your point, but I feel that there are most likely alternatives to the programs in question, either that or they are incredibly niche tools or are "privately developed" in some fashion. In either case, Windows/MS's backwards compatibility is leaps and bounds ahead of any other OS vendor. Just try running a Mac classic app unmodified on OSX or installing a Linux package from 1998 and you'll find a lot of dead-ends. on 32-bit Windows 7 you can still install Word 2 for Windows 3.1! That said there are some important points to be made:

-Microsoft literally delays the release of new Operating System versions until a undisclosed set of Applications will run on it unmodified; this list is known to include quite a number of very popular programs from a variety of vendors.

Some of the applications on that list might not even be actively developed, and oftentimes the developer has either gone out of business or doesn't care anyway (after all, they have their customers money). In this case, MS literally fixes the problem themselves from within windows using AppCompat patches; these basically tell windows to "act like" an older version of windows in certain ways. It's a common misunderstanding to think that the AppCompat patches are the same as using "compatibility mode" But it's not quite the same; AppCompat patches are actually stored in a database on at the very least Windows XP,Vista, and 7, and the various API routines behave according to the values in this database if the calling program is part of it; almost every time they fix a known issue in a function they need to add a appcompat hack so that they can force the routine to act the way it did before, because some application may have implemented a workaround for the bug or something. Most application compatibility problems occur as a result of either bugfixes in Windows or better parameter checking in windows, or more often the application relies on wholly undocumented behaviour. Naturally, though- if somebody installs/uses a new version of Windows and their older applications don't work, they blame the new Operating System, even though often times the application ever working on the "original" OS was a total fluke to begin with. It is because of this that they actually go out of their way to get these badly programmed or out of date applications running. The interesting thing is that one Microsoft blogger who occasionally writes about this type of stuff (Raymond Chen) is always inundated with comments to the accord of "you should break every application like this every time" So if they got their way very few applications would work properly with a new OS release at all!

broigel

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 09:37:31 AM »
              Thanks again, and I will try the EXE association fix you gave the link for. If it can help me get back to some normality that would be great.

Re the WinPcap thing, that may well have come through Wireshark which I will try to remove, although right now Contol Panel-Add/Remove programs does not work.

And re the programs not working on Windows 7, the main one is an old version of Quattro Pro which I have been using for years. In my opinion it is way better than Excel - easier to use, not at all cumbersome, more functionality, better in every way. I have 90% of my work files on Quattro Pro, have never had to "upgrade" it because it is perfect the way it is, and I do not want to lose it.

I did check and found Windows 7 has an "XP Mode" to it but I couldn't download it and did see a note saying it was only available on a Windows 7 Professional version, which I don't have. I am seriously considering wiping Windows 7 and replacing with XP just to keep my Quattro Pro.

I suppose I have a bit of a beef about all this "upgrading" - I hate it. I would happily still be on Windows 95 if the change hadn't been forced on me and I grudge Microsoft re-vamping Windows every 2 years just to get us all to buy it again. There is no benefit for the user here - just more cash into MS coffers.

soybean

Genius
              • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 09:54:56 AM »
              And re the programs not working on Windows 7, the main one is an old version of Quattro Pro which I have been using for years. In my opinion it is way better than Excel - easier to use, not at all cumbersome, more functionality, better in every way. I have 90% of my work files on Quattro Pro, have never had to "upgrade" it because it is perfect the way it is, and I do not want to lose it.

I did check and found Windows 7 has an "XP Mode" to it but I couldn't download it and did see a note saying it was only available on a Windows 7 Professional version, which I don't have. I am seriously considering wiping Windows 7 and replacing with XP just to keep my Quattro Pro.
              Do you have a Win XP disc that could be used for a legitimate installation of Win XP?  If so, you could run it as a virtual machine (VM) by installing a VM client such as VMware Player and then installing Windows XP within VMware Player.  This would allow you to run Win XP as a "guest" OS inside of Windows 7. 

Alternatively, if this fits in your budget, upgrade Win 7 to the Pro version so that you can run the Win XP mode.

You might also try the free OpenOffice and see whether its spreadsheet component, called Calc, will recognize your Quattro Pro files and whether you might find Calc a satisfactory solution. 

I suppose I have a bit of a beef about all this "upgrading" - I hate it. I would happily still be on Windows 95 if the change hadn't been forced on me and I grudge Microsoft re-vamping Windows every 2 years just to get us all to buy it again. There is no benefit for the user here - just more cash into MS coffers.
              Actually, Win XP was released for retail sale on October 25, 2001 and will continue to be supported with security-related updates, or what's called Extended Support, by Microsoft until 08/04/2014.  That's an exceptionally long run for an OS.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              « Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 11:17:44 AM »
              I have no idea how this post got so long...

Thanks again, and I will try the EXE association fix you gave the link for. If it can help me get back to some normality that would be great.
              It might not even really be related to your problem, but the "Open With" dialog when trying to run programs often means the EXE association is broken. It could also be that the shortcut (.lnk files) association is broken as well, I believe there is a fix on that site for those as well.

Re the WinPcap thing, that may well have come through Wireshark which I will try to remove, although right now Contol Panel-Add/Remove programs does not work.
              Because of the "Open With" thing I presume?

Although you don't state it outright, I'm assuming that this is probably Quattro Pro 6; this was released before Windows 95 was, if I recall. I don't know if it was a 32-bit  (actual windows 95 program) or 16-bit, though. Also, to my understanding that version seems to be the last version that was well-regarded by Quattro Pro users (since after that Quattro was sold by Borland to Novell). If it is 16-bit and you are using a 64-bit version of windows, that would be the problem (I believe the error is something to the effect of "this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running.") in which case you would need to use a VM to run the program (XP mode would probably work as well).

I am seriously considering wiping Windows 7 and replacing with XP just to keep my Quattro Pro.
              Certainly an Option, and I'm sure we can help you do that as well (as long as you have an XP disk) the only tricky part would be finding the drivers but for the most part it shouldn't be too bad. I'm sure there will be some naysayers blibber-blabbering about not replacing Win7 with XP because it's outdated, but if it get's the job done I don't see where they are coming from.

I suppose I have a bit of a beef about all this "upgrading" - I hate it.  I would happily still be on Windows 95 if the change hadn't been forced on me
              I can understand where you are coming from, but consider that even Windows 95 was an upgrade from windows 3.1 which was an upgrade (well, user experience wise) from DOS, and there were a number of versions and upgrades to DOS as well. In that sense a lot of people who "hate upgrading" really are just nostalgic for a certain time period whose software they have fond memories of. Truthfully speaking though Windows 95 had a <lot> of issues. This isn't to say it was a bad operating system, but rather that your pining for "the good old days" is sort of looking on the past with rose-tinted glasses; And, let's be honest here- was the change really forced on you? There was nothing stopping you from using your good old Reliable Windows 95 machine all the way up to today; the issue of "being forced" is more that newer software (and internet stuff) only works on newer Operating Systems for the most part. I know several people who are happily using Firefox 3 (not pretty trying to get that working) on a Windows 95 machine and have no problems doing their everyday computing tasks and using their Windows 95 applications and whatnot; perhaps you weren't really "forced" as much as you were "pressured" and there certainly is a lot of pressure for people to upgrade; you see it all the time, even on this forum; but newer isn't necessarily better, especially since even if the new program is functionally superior to the old one there is still the "cost" of relearning how to do basic stuff in the new program, so it's not always worth the time.

and I grudge Microsoft re-vamping Windows every 2 years just to get us all to buy it again.

While I understand your sentiment:
              Windows 3.1: 1992
              Windows 95: 1995
              Windows 98: 1998
              Windows ME/2000: 2000
              Windows XP: 2001
              Windows Vista:2006
              Windows 7: 2009

the only windows release interval that is 2 years would be between windows 98 and windows ME and ME to XP. It's hardly every two years, though. Additionally it's important to realize that if they stopped updating windows they would be overtaken. That may sound like a good thing, but considering none of their competitors seem to really care about application compatibility at all the results would be less than stellar.

There is no benefit for the user here - just more cash into MS coffers.

Isn't there? Let's analyse.

Windows 3.1 to Windows 95:

What did the user gain:

A far more stable system, better memory management, better CPU utilization (32/16-bit hybrid architecture, taking advantage of newer processors at the time), better built in utilities (things like resource monitor), and the OS itself replaced DOS for all intents and purposes, meaning that computers were more accessible to users with less experience. (being dropped with a bar that says start, it's a lot more intuitive then being dropped at a commandline saying "C:\>".

Windows 95 to Windows 98/SE

Ok, this could be debatable, particularly since it's kind of the center of a lot of hatred. Windows 98 seems a lot more like a "patch" over windows 95, in that you could install the Active Desktop components into windows 95 and get most of the same look at feel. Aside from that though it did add moer "official" USB support to windows, meaning that the user gained since they could now use USB peripherals (which you cannot do with Windows 95 without a lot of patches and tweaks and hacks, and even then it barely works). Plug & Play support was a lot better, and more automatic, requiring little to no intervention with IRQs and DIP switches and whatnot (Windows 95 itself somewhat mitigated this, but windows 98 practically eliminated it.

Windows 98 to XP:

Windows XP marked a rather major shift, in that the Consumer Operating systems (Windows 9x) were "merged" with the workstation Operating Systems (Windows NT/2000) to create a single codebase/product for both. What did this give the user?

Greatly enhanced "power" over the system. Since NT was a true Operating system that used a microkernel rather then the monolithic DOS-based kernel from 9x, the system was far more stable and it was more difficult to corrupt files, since it had built in support for things like permissions, which had to essentially be hacked into Windows 9x. It also greatly improved hardware support over Windows 98, since Windows XP (and windows 2000) recognized a wider range of "generic" USB devices. For example without hacking you cannot simply plug in any old USB drive and use it on a windows 98 machine, but you can with a Windows XP machine. The plug and play support was even more enhanced over windows 98; with windows 98 sometimes unplugging a in-use USB drive would cause not only data loss but a blue screen; with XP, while you may get data loss if the drive is in use, you will get a balloon tip basically saying as such. The actual UI improvements are and were a point of contention, but there is no doubt that the system took greater advantage of the hardware capabilities available at the time; using Alpha blending directly on the desktop rather then as a feature usually only found in games allowed business users to experience the enhanced graphical capabilities of what was a average PC at the time. Another important consideration is that XP greatly improved support for user profiles compared to earlier versions of windows, which sort of kind of pretended there was a concept of a profile but didn't always respect it, and password protection on them was weak, there was no support for actually partitioning the various users from each other (any user could view any other users documents, for example). Also fast user switching, which could let Billy keep his Dinosaur game open while Dad checks his business E-mail or whatever. Now warranted a lot of what fast-user switching could do can be "kludged" in previous operating systems but what makes it interesting is that Billy's dinosaur game is running in Billy's account and Dad's browser E-mail is running in his account; they are in effect separated. Also, Dad could keep the browser open and switch back to Billy's account; with an older Windows OS billy might accidentally Alt-Tab or do something like that to the browser and start sending E-mails or messing around by accident with Dad's inbox; with Fast user switching the accounts are running but still require a password to switch to. The gains in this regard are there but are far more tangible to business users, which are certainly a type of user.

From XP to Vista- again, there is a lot of hate for Vista. But In my opinion, moving from XP to Vista gave the user the single greatest improvement in any version of Windows. To explain- no doubt you are well aware of the constant threat of malware on windows PCs. The main reason that this was such a huge problem is that in windows 9x any user had administrator access, and in XP while it was based on the NT system, the "defaults" were to make the user have full admin access. Some say "but that makes sense, it's my computer, I should be an admin". Yes- but this is missing the point. See, using the Administrator account has less to do with your own abilities and more to do with the abilities of the programs you are running. Trojan horses being a common delivery method are basically  "installers" that the victim believes to be one thing but that also install some malware or other questionable software. With XP and earlier on their default settings, these programs could do as they pleased, and there would be no way to know. With Vista, however, it greatly improved on a concept possible in XP, called "Limited User Account". With XP you could create a limited user account. in many ways these accounts were "immune" to malware; the drive-by download or malicious activeX control or whatever would load, but it would be running under the Limited User account which in and of itself isn't able to change any settings, so the malware couldn't Install" itself and the infection would not be successful. The problem and the reason this wasn't very well used was because it was a non-default option, took time to set up, and more importantly if you wanted to install software or perform administrative tasks you either had to log out and back in as the admin or "fast user switch" to the admin account, which was a major hassle and prevented a lot of people from trying the technique.

Windows Vista's answer to this was UAC (User Account Control). In many ways it's similar to the idea of fast user switching from windows XP; the difference is that the switch can be made "automatically" when you need more permissions. This, combined with the default behaviour that causes all higher-level permissions to be stripped from all users meant that any administrative task would require the use of the admin account. Some argue that most people just click OK, but this is not a very good argument in favour of no UAC at all, since without UAC (or in earlier windows versions) there is simply no prompt at all. In the case of a trojan horse, for example, the windows XP machine is compromised by a infected version of the installer to Billy's Dinosaur game. However, upon trying to install the game on Vista Billy will require administrative permissions. Dad might just allow it after all (it is an installer) but with a little research he might find that the game is supposed to be able to install as a Limited user as well, meaning that it wasn't the game that required permission but rather some sort of malicious installer. Additionally such installers would need to specifically request admin access; if they simply try to infect the machine no prompt appears and they are simply denied access. Since that is how most trojans worked (at least at the time) this proved and often still proves to be an effective method of preventing the sort of malicious installations that even safe browsing couldn't prevent previously, such as drive-by trojan downloads and the like.

Windows Vista to Windows 7 was more a image change than anything. A Lot of people who slung on the hate for Vista love Windows 7, but really they are nearly the same; the benefits from Windows Vista to 7 can be summarized as some tweaks to the UAC concept, meaning that there are fewer prompts in some cases and therefore they have more "meaning" to the user, which helps prevent the "click Allow constantly" problem that people seem to be able to pull out of nowhere. Additionally they added a bunch of UI enhancements in the form of easier mouse-only window management, improvements to things like Aero Peek, which is basically an extension of the basic Tooltip that windows 95 would show for a taskbar button (it's difficult to really claim that the tooltip on a Taskbar button is "more useful" then having a small thumbnail of what the window contains).

Now, it's important to understand that older versions of windows aren't "inferior" to newer versions by any stretch; after all, most of the various improvements I have thus far outlined are possible because the average "oomph factor" of the PC when each OS was released allowed for it. For example there wouldn't really be a feasible way to add a feature to windows 95 similar to Aero Peek, simply because it would cause a lot of compatibility problems given the way the display and bitmap drawing was handled. Aero and Aero Glass are more an extension of the upward climb that each windows version performs where it tries to take advantage of the hardware; if you have a Super speedy graphics card (and any modern PC does) then it's pretty wasteful to just use it viewing 2-D images; Aero Peek, while it's actual UI improvements are a subject of opinion, tries to take advantage of the power of the average PC's GPU to add more visual effects and try to "streamline" the UI; many seem to think this is a rapid departure from older windows version, this is nonsense; after all, Windows 9 Plus and later Windows 98 featured Animated menus and window minimize/maximize/restore animations, and it's hard to say there is a good reason to let a perfectly good GPU sit idle as windows does all the pixel pushing and just uses the GPU to draw bitmaps.

Lastly, Most people receive their copy of windows free with a new PC, rather than purchasing an upgrade, arguably a small portion of what the manufacturer sells the machine for is for the OS license but considering the alternative would be that they pay the same amount for a license for a previous version I can't really see any real justification for your statement that each new version is basically only to fill Microsoft coffers. Of course Microsoft is a company, big surprise there, and all companies are after making a profit rather then going under- also no surprise. And they certainly are doing very well business wise, but to suggest that the only reason that they release new versions of the OS is to make a profit- well of course that is why, for one thing- and for 2 in order for a product to be profitable it needs to improve the older version, otherwise nobody will buy it, so while Microsoft is in fact creating new versions of their software purely for profit, in order to do that effectively they need to make that software better than the previous version, thus the user benefit.