Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My external HDD is unallocated  (Read 6726 times)

klenshin

Topic Starter

Beginner

My external HDD is unallocated
    « on: June 03, 2011, 07:07:08 PM »
    i have a SEAGATE external HDD with 2TB capacity
    i had partitioned it in 2 drives. it was working well. a few days ago, i wanted to add  1GB unallocated space to the partition by PARAGON partition managing software. all things were going well but the program hanged suddenly. i had to restart the system. when i checked, i noticed my external HDD has become unallocated and and my whole data has gone :( :( :o :o.
     PLEASE help me how to restore the previous partitions and recover my data. i had above 1.5 TB data!!!!
    i can create new partitions and use recovery software for get some data i have lost but i want to find a way to restore all setting to before using Paragon software.
    it is important for me
    guide me!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: My external HDD is unallocated
    « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 08:05:44 PM »
    The simple answer is: Don't do that!

This is not meant to be rude or unkind. External USB storage drives are  very useful. However, there have been some (even many) cases whee the external USB drive does not behave the way you would expect. Look over the documentation and see if thee are any warnings given about this.

In general, most utilities like Paragon usually give a warning for a backup plan independent of the performance of the program.
    If the external drive is your backup plan, never alter its structure after you begin using it. This rule is not limited to USB drives, it just makes common sense.

Look at it this way. Drive partitioning software makes huge changes to drive structure. You can estimate that the partition software will do no harm 99.9 % of the time. Sometimes new users think that means never. No, 0.1 % is not never.

klenshin

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 09:03:17 AM »
      Thank you for your information.
      as you said i must have created backups before using partitoning tools. and i didn't it. i know i have made mistake.
      past is past. my question is that what i can do now ?
      can i restore previous setting (2 partitions) or i have to create new partitions and use recovery softwares?
      i want to recover all data as it is possible.
      please introduce all possible ways that i can use especially if i get back all settings.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 12:41:48 PM »
      Don't make any changes.
      Spend some time learning more about the problem.
      If you like I can do a lecture here about why it is so easy to lose data non a PC.
      OR
      Google Hard Drive data recovery
      and find things like this:
      http://www.nucleusdatarecovery.org/

They want your money! That will give you a clue as to what is involved. They know that got you in a hard place.
      Or you can ship the drive to a company that will charge your $200 plus shipping to recover your data.

Really, I cam not being sarcastic. Nobody ever tells you how fragile the file system is in Personal Computers. To get the highest performance, the file system works down at the bare metal level and it is so easy to damage the structure and loose stuff.

No, don't spend money on anything.
      First look over this:
      http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/collection/collid,1295-order,1-c,downloads/files.html
      There you can find what you need
      Try using a data recovery program. But don't give them money, just see if it might work.
      Don't give up. In a few hoers either myself or someone else will give you a link to a free program.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog

klenshin

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 05:20:17 AM »
        thank you again
        as i got from it i have to repartition my Hard nad use a recovery tool for getting back my data????
        i have a question here
        my HDD had 2 partitions and now it is unallocated. Can i restore the partitions with their data without creating new partition and formatting it and using some softwares for recovering datas???

if you do the lecture, it will be so great  ;D

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »
        Here comes the lecture...   ;D
        Hello again,
        This brief lecture is just off the top of my head and may have many errors and strange and expressions. Today I have some rational errands I need to take care of and I could only spend a limited amount of time on your problem. These understand, your question is important to me and I really do want to give as much help as I can. The links I gave you earlier I believe contained important information you need to review. I have not personally used the products mentioned in those links, however I believe those links are legitimate and useful. If you do a Google search on the terms 'data recovery' you'll find hundreds if not thousands of pages on the Internet that claim to offer some help with data recovery. Unfortunately, the first two or three are paid advertisements and sometimes they are actual fraud. Google does almost nothing to stop this scam artists. The links I provided you are, I believe, legitimate companies that offer real help.
        So the point of this is that you need to spend some time studying over information that is available to you. These understand this is not intended to make you feel bad or stupid. Like you did is perfectly understandable and he used a piece of software that is widely respected. But something unexpected happened and your drive now appears to be allocated. Actually, your data is still out there.
        At least one of the links I gave you is a California firm that offers free service. You send your drive to them and, at their leisure, they recover as much data as possible and will send it back to you. Or, if you want a one-week turnaround, they'll do it for just $99. That is a real bargain. He chose the company is located in California I think it might be a legitimate operation.. Of course I could be very wrong about that. If you can't find that link let me know, I thought I included it in the links I gave you.
        The reason for this rather long lecture is that this is a public forum and I gave you a short quick answer it could be taken out of context and cause a lot of confusion. The shared this is not some kind of rant  to make you feel bad. I have done exactly the same sort of thing that you have done and I just had to accept my loss and go on. In your case, you have some data on that external hard drive that you want recovered.
        Here's a company that few people hear about because theuy don't really do a lot of advertising the name of the company is EASUS. They also offer arcade shooting tools, backup tools and recovery tools. Resolutely they offer a free data recovery tool. This tool will recover up to 1 Gbyte of data for free. It works with all current versions of Windows and the most common file system formats. This company has a good reputation for offering free software that is really useful. Of course, their objective is to get you interested in their products and hopefully you will by the professional version of their products. The price of their boxes about average or even loathe the average price of such kind of software. Here is the link:
        http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm
        At this point, this is the best recommendation I can think of. Of course, the decision must be yours. If the data is very important to you, you might be willing to spend money and have somebody else do it for you. Anything above $200 is, in my opinion, too much to pay for. And again, the choice must be yours.
        Just a brief note here to put this in context. There is no industry regulation or rule, to my knowledge, which requires manufacturers to standardize the internal structure of a hard drive that is intended to be used as primarily a storage device. Very large drives, such as the one you have, may have proprietary methods of storing data on the drive and the geometry of the drive is not exposed to the operating system. Yes, that sounds like a bunch of gobbledygook. What it means is that third-party software written by other companies may not understand how the hard drive is organized. Hopefully, the industry is going to remedy this situation in the near future.

This is now the end of my rant. I have to go mop the floors.