Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Alternative to Google Desktop?  (Read 7064 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Alternative to Google Desktop?
« on: June 29, 2011, 10:10:28 PM »
I've been pretty happy with Google Desktop - pretty speedy results, and doesn't seem detrimental to "normal" performance.

But I've noticed that a recent update has taken away its ability to index an external drive (NOT Flash, a regular drive). I've totally uninstalled and reinstalled, I've added the drive, removed the drive, added the drive, rinsed, repeated.

I receive a "Unknown error accessing files during crawling" at best, when I get ANY type of response on the Preferences page.

I can't find a solution, so I'm thinking time to find an alternative. Also, I'm not digging that on Windows 7, to run GD effectively, I need to turn off Windows indexing, which screws up my Outlook search (which is superior to GD, but only when searching Outlook).
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

phoop007

Greenhorn
  • Gotta have it.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Alternative to Google Desktop?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 11:41:05 AM »
that depends on your OS vista and 7 have windows side bar

phoop007

Greenhorn
  • Gotta have it.
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 11:45:21 AM »
you might also try some of these http://alternativeto.net/software/google-desktop/

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 11:53:31 AM »
http://tech-informer.com/bye-bye-google-desktopit-was-fun-while-it-lasted-24/

The reason I've never used Google desktop search, personally, is that it doesn't index file names, only their content. Most of my searches comprise of trying to find a file or a specific set of files, or something. I don't generally need to search by content; and, even if I did, Windows comes with that capability anyway.

Really, the only time I use a "search" would be in the windows 7 (and before that windows Vista) start menu search bar. If I can't find it that way, I generally open the Search tool I wrote to find it. (which also presents the files in the way I prefer, unlike the search results in Windows Explorer)

Also: Windows Search can be told to index external drives; right-click the drive, choose properties, and check off "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties".

that depends on your OS vista and 7 have windows side bar
Err...Windows sidebar is unrelated to searching...
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 11:59:16 AM »
See I do frequently need to search for content...  I share lots of files and frequently need to "find that file that had that xxxx in it".

I find the Google Desktop to be sooooooooooooooooooooooo much faster than Windows Search, but will give that a try. Also looking forward to that "alternativeto" website.

Will post results soon!
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.