Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer freezes half way while booting  (Read 13887 times)

Red is beautiful

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Computer freezes half way while booting
    « on: July 04, 2011, 06:40:38 AM »
    My desktop just freezes when its half way through booting. But sometimes it just completes booting and starts normally. Also I have noticed that now the booting takes much more longer than before. I am having this problem for about two weeks now.
    I also tried opening the desktop and switched the two ram sticks that I have. First I inserted the 2GB ram then I removed it and inserted the 1GB ram. Then I inserted both the ram sticks together. The computer responded properly throughout the tests that I ran. But now after I closed the computer lid, attached all the peripherals, it hanged after I restarted the system. This time completely. It did not even reach the booth stage.
    So I repeated the tests again. This time it freezes on its way to booting on all tests. The 2GB,1GB test and the 3GB test which is both the ram sticks together. Today again after several booth freezes my computer has suddenly started normally. Can you please tell me what exactly  the problem could be and why this is happening. Thank you.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Computer freezes half way while booting
    « Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 12:36:41 PM »
    define "halfway"

Red is beautiful

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 02:01:11 AM »
      Okay lets just say my desktop freezes while booting many times. I also get a message sometimes after booting which says " Alert! Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint (50) " and then again my computer hangs completely and responds to only one key I am not sure but it should be F1 or F2. After pressing the key my computer fails completely to communicate with keyboard and mouse. I am then faced with a blank screen which looks like in DOS mode with cursor blinking.       

Red is beautiful

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 02:04:59 AM »
        define "halfway"
        Okay lets just say my desktop freezes while booting many times. I also get a message sometimes after booting which says " Alert! Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint (50) " and then again my computer hangs completely and responds to only one key I am not sure but it should be F1 or F2. After pressing the key my computer fails completely to communicate with keyboard and mouse. I am then faced with a blank screen which looks like in DOS mode with cursor blinking.       

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 05:03:53 AM »

This may be due to a dead CMOS battery.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

But First,

What  make your PC ?

Is it under warrenty ?

11 cheers for binary !

Red is beautiful

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 07:05:40 AM »
          This may be due to a dead CMOS battery.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

But First,

What  make your PC ?

Is it under warrenty ?
          No it is not under warenty and I have no proper idea as to how this happened. 

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 07:24:33 AM »

Ok, i'll repeat

What make is your PC ??
          11 cheers for binary !

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 07:29:55 AM »
          What I'm asking is at what point does this happen. How far does the system boot?

Also, what is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

Red is beautiful

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 05:46:17 AM »
            What I'm asking is at what point does this happen. How far does the system boot?

Also, what is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?
            When booting gets half completed or when the booth download bar shows that booting is half completed the booting stops and my computer freezes. Some times the booting completes and then I get a error message saying " Alert! Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint (50)." Then I press F1 or F2 and I am then faced with a blank screen which looks like a blank DOS screen with cursor blinking.
             The you tube videos that I open in multiple tabs don not load all together, once when my desktop suddenly started normally my antivirus program was disabled and my firefox browser hangs sometimes nowadays. Apart from this I have not noticed any new or unusal activity if my computer starts normally.
            Now for the past 3 to 4 shut downs and restarts my computer is starting normally.       

Red is beautiful

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 05:47:48 AM »
              When booting gets half completed or when the booth download bar shows that booting is half completed the booting stops and my computer freezes. Some times the booting completes and then I get a error message saying " Alert! Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint (50)." Then I press F1 or F2 and I am then faced with a blank screen which looks like a blank DOS screen with cursor blinking.
               The you tube videos that I open in multiple tabs don not load all together, once when my desktop suddenly started normally my antivirus program was disabled and my firefox browser hangs sometimes nowadays. Apart from this I have not noticed any new or unusal activity if my computer starts normally.
              Now for the past 3 to 4 shut downs and restarts my computer is starting normally.   My computer is a Dell Inspiron 545 desktop. 

Serune

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 07:03:48 PM »
              I cant believe soo many replays and no real answer.  Ok lets try this,  i have seen this problem before.  This is just a suggestion since i cannot see the problem. 
              try this steps:

1. Change your Bios Battery
              2. Access your Bios and Load Default Values.
              3. Restart your computer, if you still have the problem, try to do it until you get to enter windows.  If you cant then press F8 and load windows in safe mode only. 

4. You didnt mention your OS is it windows xp, server, vista or 7 or other OS?
              4.1.  If vista, xp or 7, enter msdos (cmd.exe).  Right click on cmd.exe and run as administrator.
              5. perform a chkdsk for your hdd.   type:   chkdsk c:
              6. Restart your pc and wait for check disk to complete an repair the hdd. (It is important to do this even if your computer runs fine)
              7. Maybe your hdd is not damaged but still it was  a good idea to do this, your pc may be hot, try taking off the cover  of your pc case and place a fan or turn on your air conditioner to see if perhaps its overheating.
              8. If your computer still runs halfway most likely its a virus, but i wanted to leave this part for the end.
              9. Try formatting or reinstalling your OS, it may just be a virus.  Install a good antivirus like avast or bitdefender, that is just my personal recommendation.
              10.  Another problem could be your ram may be partially damaged.  If noone of the options above work try getting a new ram.  There are other solutions i have in mind but unfortunately i in a rush, just let me know about how everything turned out and i will answer you as soon as possible  8)

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 04:23:12 AM »
              Feel free to ignore the above post in its entirety

Red is beautiful

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 01:03:24 PM »
                I cant believe soo many replays and no real answer.  Ok lets try this,  i have seen this problem before.  This is just a suggestion since i cannot see the problem. 
                try this steps:

1. Change your Bios Battery
                2. Access your Bios and Load Default Values.
                3. Restart your computer, if you still have the problem, try to do it until you get to enter windows.  If you cant then press F8 and load windows in safe mode only. 

4. You didnt mention your OS is it windows xp, server, vista or 7 or other OS?
                4.1.  If vista, xp or 7, enter msdos (cmd.exe).  Right click on cmd.exe and run as administrator.
                5. perform a chkdsk for your hdd.   type:   chkdsk c:
                6. Restart your pc and wait for check disk to complete an repair the hdd. (It is important to do this even if your computer runs fine)
                7. Maybe your hdd is not damaged but still it was  a good idea to do this, your pc may be hot, try taking off the cover  of your pc case and place a fan or turn on your air conditioner to see if perhaps its overheating.
                8. If your computer still runs halfway most likely its a virus, but i wanted to leave this part for the end.
                9. Try formatting or reinstalling your OS, it may just be a virus.  Install a good antivirus like avast or bitdefender, that is just my personal recommendation.
                10.  Another problem could be your ram may be partially damaged.  If noone of the options above work try getting a new ram.  There are other solutions i have in mind but unfortunately i in a rush, just let me know about how everything turned out and i will answer you as soon as possible  8)
                Thanks! okay I will have a look and let you know later soon buy!

Allan

• Mastermind
                « Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 01:23:27 PM »
                sigh

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 05:17:33 PM »

sigh

If you keep exhaling you're gonna pass out.  ;)
                11 cheers for binary !