Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Information Technologies Careers  (Read 2566 times)

nate22

Topic Starter

Beginner

Information Technologies Careers
    « on: August 08, 2011, 11:42:13 AM »
    Hey,
        I've always been interested in computers and networking, although I've had nothing but the experience from working with my own person computers. They have some programs at my high school that entails software experience that I'm enrolled in this year. I've always loved the challenge that computers and networking has presented me. What I'm asking is to talk to some folks that are either in the IT field as I would love to hear their opinions. I'm open to any information I can get my hands on, although I'm specifically interested in which colleges have the best IT programs as well as how the job market is.
     Thanks,
     Nate

truenorth

Guru

Re: Information Technologies Careers
      « Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 12:18:08 PM »
      nate22, Your future aspirations and desire to learn skills is to be commended. You do not mention what country you are in and that could help for those that may feel they can make suggestions re the colleges. You should also involve the resources of your high school guidance councilors to help you. There may be listings from a Google search in your country for available IT colleges (hopefully also with available rating on them) which you could search for yourself. If some of the ones that appear interesting are nearby go and visit them and talk to them about your aspirations and see how they respond and treat you. If there are any businesses in your area that utilize the talents of the type of career that you would like to pursue visit them and tell them of your plans and seek all the information you can from them as to what schools produce the graduating students they would most like to employ. If they are a forward thinking company they will be impressed that you came personally to them with your questions and interest and you never can tell where that could lead. Welcome to the CH forums and good luck with your future pursuits.truenorth

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 04:49:01 PM »
      Before you invest a lo of time and money into Computer Tech stuff... consider what the future holds for most people.
      The Best Jobs For The Future
      ... from above link...
      The primary purpose of a degree in our bureaucratic society is not evidence of learning. The importance of education is no longer personal growth.
      A degree is most often sought today as a self marketing tool. A degree was the meal ticket of the late industrial age. Sadly, this style of education is counterproductive to learning, conditioning students to resent reading, thinking independently, and acquiring wisdom.
      "knowledge which is acquired under compulsion obtains no hold on the mind" - Plato
      Do not misunderstand. Computer scene can be a great hobby for personal development.  But as a means of putting bacon on the table... you will end up eating oatmeal.

Please bear in mind the link above has its own bias. But get used to it.  Everybody is going g to tray and sell you something In hour own community there fare many resources available to you free of charge. Use them!.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 06:08:53 PM »
      Computer scene can be a great hobby for personal development.  But as a means of putting bacon on the table... you will end up eating oatmeal.
      Oh, come on, that's just not a valid statement.  Nate, have you used Google to search on key phrases such as careers in computer information systems?  Here's reference I think you may find helpful:   http://computingcareers.acm.org/

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 03:31:05 AM »
      Do not misunderstand. Computer scene can be a great hobby for personal development.  But as a means of putting bacon on the table... you will end up eating oatmeal.
      What the heck are you on about now? The IT and pharmaceutical sectors are the most thriving at the moment. That statement is nonsense. I'm starting a degree in Electronic and Computer Engineering in 3 week's time - I have done my research.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 09:02:24 AM »
      What the heck are you on about now? The IT and pharmaceutical sectors are the most thriving at the moment. That statement is nonsense. I'm starting a degree in Electronic and Computer Engineering in 3 week's time - I have done my research.
      No, if you think you have done your research, you are the one speaking nonsense. Do have an idea of what the job market will be ten years from now?
      Please share your research. What did you look for?
      Hugest paid jobs?
      Most in demand jobs?
      Most secure hobs?
      Most common jobs?
      Jobs with low health risk?
      Jobs with least mental stress?
      Jobs with bet benefits?
      Jobs that conserve your personal integrity?
      Jobs with most satisfaction?
      Most universal skill jobs?

Let me explain that last item. You can specialize in a narrow new field, only to find it was a dead-end or limited growth area. The skill set was not universal. So we need a category for a skill that is more universal. For example, Astronaut is a very narrow job skill; a Commercial Airplane pilot is much broader. And the later takes less training time.

One of the most universal job skills is being a janitor. There is a steady need for good janitors. This is not a joke.

The below is meant to be funny. sort of.

When I was young, a long time ago, my elders told me to study TV repair, as it was them a going field. Boy, was that a waste of time!
      I should have been a janitor.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 09:18:54 AM »
      Do have an idea of what the job market will be ten years from now?
      No, but I know that the world will be more involved with technology, mainly in the medical/robotic field.

Hugest paid jobs?
      Don't care about money, I love innovation and technology. Although good money happens to be a part of a career in IT, usually.

Most in demand jobs?
      Yes, they are badly in demand and there are no people to fill the IT jobs - at least in Ireland.

Most secure hobs?
      Yes, I think so, assuming you meant "jobs".

Most common jobs?
      Not really. I can safely say I could only name about 4 people I know who are involved in IT.

Jobs with low health risk?
      Not really.

Jobs with least mental stress?
      That depends on how organised you are and how good you are at managing yourself and others.

Jobs with bet benefits?
      Apart from the possibility of a major breakthrough in science, IT, or biomedical etc., I'm not sure there are any.

Jobs that conserve your personal integrity?
      What has integrity got to do with it? I just want a secure job, doing something which I like doing and making enough money to get by. You're looking too deep.

You can specialize in a narrow new field, only to find it was a dead-end or limited growth area.
      Yes, I have researched this. The degree I mentioned above in BROAD. Possible careers, taken from the course booklet: Software Engineering, Mobile and Wireless Systems, Computer Systems and Networks, Game Systems, Security and Forensics, Telecommunication Systems, Sensors and Sensor Networks, Healthcare and Medical Systems, Semiconductor Integrated Circuit Technology, Biomedical Electronics, Bioinformatics, Automotive Electronics, Avionics, Artificial Intelligence and Robotics, Automation Control Systems, Energy Control and Automation, Energy Generation and Distribution Systems, Electrical Power Systems, Smart Energy Management etc etc.

One of the most universal job skills is being a janitor. There is   a steady need for good janitors. This is not a joke.
      Yet it doesn't require a bachelor degree.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 10:42:22 AM »
      kpac, Good repose. Yes, now I see you did your homework. :)
      Ignore my reference to Hobs. For now, ,anyway.
      Hob or HOB may refer to:
          * Hob (folklore), a household spirit in Northern England
          * A generic term for various Dwarf-like and Elf-like magical creatures in Germanic folklore
          * A devil
          * The top cooking surface on a stove
          * A male ferret
          * A tool used in hobbing, or gear-making
          * A robot-like creature in the webcomic Dresden Codak
          * A stake used as a target in the game of quoits
          * A hobnail on a hobnailed boot
          * HOB GmbH & Co. KG, an international computer company
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hob
      You will meet Hobbs later on in your life experience. Don't let them compromise your integrity. The IT industry is full of them!. As you can see in the quote above, they even named a computer company after a HOB. Not all HOBS are bad.