Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot Uninstall Civilization 4?  (Read 10263 times)

1two3

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Cannot Uninstall Civilization 4?
    « on: August 31, 2011, 04:34:54 AM »
    First off, I'd like to point out that I wasn't sure what section to put this in, but seeing as it's an installation issue, I've chosen this section. Can a mod please move it if it isn't. I'd also like to thank this community for solving my problems over the years.

---

I used to play Civilization 4. I stopped for a year or so. However, I suddenly wanted to play it again. I searched long and hard for the disk but couldn't find it. Giving up, I attempted to uninstall it.

However, it will not uninstall. I've left this laptop on all night with the InstallShield Wizard "uninstalling", but it does not work at all. This is all that happens:

(EDIT: Image won't show, so I'll link it.)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/uninstallm.png/

Anyone got an ideas as to what I can do to uninstall?

1two3

Topic Starter

Beginner
      Re: Cannot Uninstall Civilization 4?
      « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
      Unintentional bump. It won't let me edit the post and this is important information.

I cannot find the file. Anywhere. At all. I've searched every folder and cannot find any files relating to Civilization 4. It should be in program files, but it isn't.

I have tried Revo Uninstaller as one tutorial suggested and it removed some files in AppData, but in the add/remove programs it still says it's installed. Obviously not everything is gone. This is really bugging me.

I've tried what another tutorial said and went to my Regedit and deleted two related files there, but it is still here. Someone help me, please!

1two3

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 04:20:34 AM »
        Again, cannot edit any of my posts. No idea why. Apologies for the bumps.

---

I have pretty much deleted every file I can find, even ones that were hiding in the InstallShield folder, but it still says it's installed on my computer. Someone told me to go to the command prompt and type:

Code: [Select]
        C:\>dir /s  Civilization*4*
        It will say:

Volume in drive C has no label.
         Volume Serial Number is 0652-E41D
        Then I should delete it by:

C:\>del  /F  /s  Civilization*4*
        Would this work?

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 08:13:29 PM »
        It would delete the files, but if I'm not mistaken, it would still think it was installed.

Microsoft has a couple manual explanations for removing listings from Add/Remove Programs:
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314481
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310750

Have a read through those and see if it helps any. Feel free to ask if you're not sure. Do this at your own risk, as any mistake in editing the registry can hose your system.

Also, you can't edit your posts after a certain amount of time has passed. Not sure exactly what that limit is. 15 minutes or 30 minutes? Something.

1two3

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 04:10:07 AM »
          Quaxo, thank you for your reply.

My friend had loaned me the disk. Upon inserting it, the menu that should say "install" (if it has actually been wiped from my computer) said "play". This leads me to believe that there are still traces of it on my computer.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 07:06:06 AM »
          Look at it in Explorer...does it show a setup.exe ? ?
          Is this an "ahem" version of the game ? ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

1two3

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 07:12:22 AM »
            Look at it in Explorer...does it show a setup.exe ? ?
            Is this an "ahem" version of the game ? ?

I cannot find it. Anywhere. I've searched my entire computer for all the keywords. (Civilization, 4, IV, Sid Meier, etc)

And yes. It is legit, if that's what you mean. My computer did lose some files a few months ago, so maybe that's the cause of it. I don't particularly want to play it anymore, I just want it uninstalled. Would what I said in my previous post about going to the command prompt and type that work?

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 07:13:18 AM »
            Contact the Authors of the game and ask them...

quaxo

Guru
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 07:20:09 AM »
            My guess would be that there's something in the registry you may have missed.

Not saying you should go poking around deleting things in the registry, especially if you don't know what you're doing (not saying you don't, just saying).

Did you try the suggestions in those two links from Microsoft I posted?

quaxo

Guru
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 07:27:55 AM »
            Did some searching around, and it seems these two entries are the ones that tell the computer the game is installed. Try deleting them in addition to the suggestions from the Microsoft links.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games
            HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}

And these two if you have either of the expansions installed:
            HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{3E4B349F-10B5-4586-9D99-489A90A8B228}
            HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989}

And delete this folder:
            C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}

1two3

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 12:48:52 PM »
              Did some searching around, and it seems these two entries are the ones that tell the computer the game is installed. Try deleting them in addition to the suggestions from the Microsoft links.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Firaxis Games
              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}

And these two if you have either of the expansions installed:
              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{3E4B349F-10B5-4586-9D99-489A90A8B228}
              HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\{32E4F0D2-C135-475E-A841-1D59A0D22989}

And delete this folder:
              C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}

Thanks for the help. I have tried all that, all to no avail. I don't like admitting defeat, but I might have to give up on this one.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 02:01:56 PM »
              Contact the Authors of the game and ask them...

Have you done this yet ? ?

Fed

• Sage
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 02:29:26 PM »
                ccleaner has a 'Delete Entry' button in the tools tab for pesky uninstall entries.

1two3

Topic Starter

Beginner
                  « Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 03:24:15 AM »
                  Sent them an email. No reply yet.

Fed, I have just tried it. Thank you. I think it's worked. I'll post later.

1two3

Topic Starter

Beginner
                    « Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 02:57:52 AM »
                    Thank you everyone. It seems as though it's gone now. I borrowed my friend's disk and I can install it instead of "removing" it. :)