Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Screen goes black after playing video games  (Read 10273 times)

gamergirl305

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Gamer Girl!
    • Experience: Beginner
    Screen goes black after playing video games
    « on: July 24, 2011, 12:54:38 AM »
    Heya guys I've came here several times in regards to my HP Pavillion dv7 Laptop.

my problem is as follow...

when i play any video game on my laptop my screen goes black, but not black as if it's off, but black as if its still on, i just can't see, hear, or more anything. Its as if it freezes but going black with the lights on. And it only happens when i am connected to the wall plug/main/adapter... can anyone help me, please?

i have tried everything i can think of and what i've been advised to do; remove the battery and keep the main plugged in (it still goes black), bought a new adapter, it still goes black, took it to best buy and they have no idea whats up but everything seems to be working fine. Had a fan pointing to my screen the whole time (from the back)

Only time my screen does NOT go black is when i remove the adapter and play on battery life.

here's a video of how it looks like when it goes black: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54FF11Qs2Tg

please help!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: Screen goes black after playing video games
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 01:48:45 AM »
    Try using an external monitor. Then plugged in adapter to check on whether the issue is the same. Is the blackscreen present when in safemode? Have you made any changes or settings on Power options and refresh rate?

gamergirl305

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Gamer Girl!
      « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 03:44:20 AM »
      Heya guys I've came here several times in regards to my HP Pavillion dv7 Laptop.

my problem is as follow...

when i play any video game on my laptop my screen goes black, but not black as if it's off, but black as if its still on, i just can't see, hear, or more anything. Its as if it freezes but going black with the lights on. And it only happens when i am connected to the wall plug/main/adapter... can anyone help me, please?

i have tried everything i can think of and what i've been advised to do; remove the battery and keep the main plugged in (it still goes black), bought a new adapter, it still goes black, took it to best buy and they have no idea whats up but everything seems to be working fine. Had a fan pointing to my screen the whole time (from the back)

Only time my screen does NOT go black is when i remove the adapter and play on battery life.

here's a video of how it looks like when it goes black: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54FF11Qs2Tg

please help!

More info:
      Windows Vista Home Premium,
      service pack 2,
      computer make/model; HP Pavilion dv7 notebook PC,
      RAM; 4GB,
      hard drive: ? how do i search for that?,
      sound card: IDT high definition Audio CODEC
      Video card: ATI Radeon HD 3200,
      current adware/spyware/virus programs being used on a regular basis; Microsoft Security Essentials,
      do you have a "real" Windows CD; Yes. The moment i bought the laptop i asked the ppl to make me hard copies of my restore CDs
      system type: 64 bit operating system
      processor; AMD Turion (tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-70    2.00 GHz

anything else let me know.

gamergirl305

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Gamer Girl!
        « Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 03:49:42 AM »
        Try using an external monitor. Then plugged in adapter to check on whether the issue is the same. Is the blackscreen present when in safemode? Have you made any changes or settings on Power options and refresh rate?

ok! give me a few to do so, does the monitor have to be PC or can it be my TV as well?

what do you mean by "blackscreen present when in safemode?" ?

i probably may have changed the power settings to make it save power...

what is a refresh rate?

i forgot to mention that i once connected my laptop to my TV for a school project back in Sept of 2010, i dont recall ever changing any settings or changing it back or anything... i just connected, waited, and it appeared from my laptop to my TV, when i finished recording my project presentation I disconnected and nothing more, i dont recall changing any settings there or if any changes took place without me knowing? But i just remember doing a restore to factory settings after i did all that, sometime in January or later in 2011 I don't know if anything occured or if i did anything wrong or if the installing messed up somewhere...

gamergirl305

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Gamer Girl!
          « Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 11:22:41 PM »

i tried an external monitor and the problem still happens =O(

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 12:28:41 AM »
          Only time my screen does NOT go black is when i remove the adapter and play on battery life
          Could there be shorting out on the mobo or just a setting once the adapter is plugged in? Try booting in safemode w/out the AC adapter plug. Power up laptop then keep pressing F8. Under Advance Menu, choose SAFEMODE(only). When in desktop, try plugging your power plug. What happens? Another test would be to remove the battery pack and directly connecting laptop to adapter on first boot up. What is the result on these two tests?
          current adware/spyware/virus programs being used on a regular basis; Microsoft Security Essentials
          Please specify these programs and is MSE also running?

gamergirl305

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Gamer Girl!
            « Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 02:55:53 AM »
            Could there be shorting out on the mobo or just a setting once the adapter is plugged in? Try booting in safemode w/out the AC adapter plug. Power up laptop then keep pressing F8. Under Advance Menu, choose SAFEMODE(only). When in desktop, try plugging your power plug. What happens? Another test would be to remove the battery pack and directly connecting laptop to adapter on first boot up. What is the result on these two tests?Please specify these programs and is MSE also running?

heya Jason2074!
            for the first test, i did the safe mode thing and when i connected to my plug, on safe mode, on my desktop, nothing happened... i left it there for 20 mins and nothing happened
            for the 2nd test, when removing the battery pack, i got the black screen, i calculated the time in case that does anything for you... i started playing at 1:15am and i got the black screen at 3:23am.

i notice something weird though! and im noticing i think it is the power settings... when i was playing (without the adapter) i had the battery setting to, I THINK, High performance and i got the black screen WITHOUT being connected to the main wall, plug, adapter, whatever its called. But just now, i finished playing my game and i had it in "power saver" and did NOT get the black screen and WAS NOT connected to the adapter....

gamergirl305

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Gamer Girl!
              « Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 03:04:56 AM »
              Could there be shorting out on the mobo or just a setting once the adapter is plugged in? Try booting in safemode w/out the AC adapter plug. Power up laptop then keep pressing F8. Under Advance Menu, choose SAFEMODE(only). When in desktop, try plugging your power plug. What happens? Another test would be to remove the battery pack and directly connecting laptop to adapter on first boot up. What is the result on these two tests?Please specify these programs and is MSE also running?

part 2 to your message:

current adware/spyware/virus programs being used on a regular basis; Microsoft Security Essentials

Please specify these programs and is MSE also running?

how do i check for these programs? i dont know where to look them up on my laptop. And i think MSE is running when i click it it says, "Security Essentials is monitoring your computer and helping to protect it. and has a green check mark letting me know my laptop is protected.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
              « Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 03:36:34 AM »
              What games were you playing and operating system do you have? Safemode did not made any blackscreen with battery pack and AC adapter plug in? How about booting in Normal mode without playing any games then plugging in adapter?

gamergirl305

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Gamer Girl!
                « Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 10:04:21 PM »
                What games were you playing and operating system do you have? Safemode did not made any blackscreen with battery pack and AC adapter plug in? How about booting in Normal mode without playing any games then plugging in adapter?

when im in a page filled with animation, it happens. The games i play are; Farmville, Cityville, Farmtown, World of Warcraft, and Uno. Every now and then, Family Feud, and The Price is Right. any of those games i play, while connected to the adapter, my screen goes black =O(

when i am NOT playing, the screen doesn't go black, i can leave it connected to my adapter for years if i can and it wont go black. When i'm on battery life and play my games, everything is okay, i can play with no problems, until my battery dies.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                « Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 11:37:11 PM »
                Let's try looking in the Laptop's Power options. Click Start and type Power options-Hit Enter. Under Power Plans(or similar description) look for Balance or Recommended settings and put a tick or checkmark. Look on you left panel(if available) for an option or similar to Choose when to turn off display, and when under that option, search for an option to Restore default settings for this plan or something that is related. The settings given are on a different brand of laptop, so you may want to use it as a guide on making certain changes. Alternately while on those options, you will be able to view Battery(On Battery) and AC adapter(Plugged in) set on specific time for display, sleep and brightness.

gamergirl305

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Gamer Girl!
                  « Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 05:55:41 PM »
                  Let's try looking in the Laptop's Power options. Click Start and type Power options-Hit Enter. Under Power Plans(or similar description) look for Balance or Recommended settings and put a tick or checkmark. Look on you left panel(if available) for an option or similar to Choose when to turn off display, and when under that option, search for an option to Restore default settings for this plan or something that is related. The settings given are on a different brand of laptop, so you may want to use it as a guide on making certain changes. Alternately while on those options, you will be able to view Battery(On Battery) and AC adapter(Plugged in) set on specific time for display, sleep and brightness.

I did this, and tested the game out, while being plugged, and I still get the black screen =O( i notice though that the keyboard of my laptop gets warmer than usual, and the part when the screen bends (to close the lid of the laptop) gets hot too.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                  « Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
                  when i am NOT playing, the screen doesn't go black, i can leave it connected to my adapter for years if i can and it wont go black
                  Can you play offline games with the adapter connected? Your issue requires more patience and effort as when not playing online(?)games, the screen does not go blank. Try looking for an Updated driver here for your current graphics driver and reinstall if available. Choose exact Pavilion model and operating system and type(64 or 32 bit). To check for your current version, go to your Device manager and expand display adapter. Right-click then Properties and go to Driver tab.
                  laptop gets warmer than usual
                  You should realize also that Laptops are not for heavy and long time gaming activities as compared to custom built gaming desktops. Try dusting the laptop from inside and out. If you are weary of opening the laptop, ask for assistance from someone who is more verse. A usb powered external fan will help dissipate thermal events. Make sure the laptop's vents are not being blocked while in use.

You need to identify these programs for you may have installed two that requires only one as they may also cause some issues. Go to program files folder or look for the icons shown on your desktop.

ShnarfBaby

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 10:01:27 AM »
                  The problem as I understand it is that you can play games fine on your laptop when it is not plugged into the wall, but the screen goes black freezing the games when it is plugged into the wall.  I know your frustration as this exact issue plagued me recently.  Like you I suspected the power supply was faulty at first because the apparent problem is overheating of the gpu. You figured out like me that the power supply cord wasn't faulty because a replacement didn't work.

This is how I fixed the problem for myself and I suspect how you will be able to fix it as well:
                  Power supply settings---> The way your computer uses and delegates the use of power when plugged in and not plugged in should be the only variable I can think of besides a faulty supply unit, which we have already excluded. 

So, check your power options. Often there are simple options for power consumption, but you can typically adjust these to your custom settings including adjusting the amount of power going to your gpu (the most likely culprit).  What you need to do first is find out exactly the power settings your laptop is using when not plugged in for every category in regular and advanced power settings. Then change your plugged-in settings to match your battery settings exactly.

After this, test and see if the computer is running your games fine.  If this fixes the problem for you as it did for me, then go back though and re-adjust whatever power settings you desire while re-checking to isolate the specific settings which need to be left changed to play games.  Like I said, the likely culprit is in the power being allocated to your gpu when plugged in versus using the battery. 

EDIT: As an interesting note, I have the same gpu as you in my laptop. It seems possible that this is the cause? Did your laptop ever run games fine while plugged in?

kryander

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 01:10:40 PM »
                  I'm having this exact issue, the only difference is that I have an HP pavilion dv6-2066dx, I did what ShnarftBaby suggested and the "culprit" was indeed the gpu, the only way for me to play games while plugged in is to switch my gpu energy settings to maximize battery life, which allows me to play games, but at a very low fps :(.

On the other hand, I can play games while the laptop is not plugged in with the gpu energy settings set to maximize performance.

So I only get the black screen if my computer is plugged in and the gpu energy settings are set to maximize performance... is there any way to fix this?