Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: reset passworded BIOS on an Acer Apire One D255E  (Read 7253 times)

manuleka

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    reset passworded BIOS on an Acer Apire One D255E
    « on: September 16, 2011, 05:12:48 PM »
    i've spent hours trying to reset my netbooks bios (i misplaced my password somewhere in my head or have totally lost it)
    searched online and came across this link but it doesn't work for my laptop.

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer-aspire-one-bios-recovery.html

now my netbook doen't have warranty anymore unfortunately
    i've also tried FLASHING bios from Windows 7, with no luck... i'm not sure if FLASHING is suppose to clear BIOS as well or just update it

i've gone as far as dismantling the netbook and to my dismay the CMOS battery is soldered (attached) to the board which means i have to break the solder and re-solder it back (again unfortunately i have zero soldering experience and have no intentions on trying)
    i also couldn't find any information or manual on the Mainboard for the Aspire One so i couldn't even find where the likely spots for short-circuiting and cold-reseting the BIOS

i also disabled alternative booting options in BIOS
    please help...

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: reset passworded BIOS on an Acer Apire One D255E
    « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 06:32:32 PM »
    This sometimes works... short the 3V cmos battery with a paperclip or short section of wire for about 2 seconds and then it may clear. You will bring the CMOS reference voltage to 0 and it wont be on long enough to cook and drain CMOS battery! The 2 seconds should be long enough to reset it to default!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: reset passworded BIOS on an Acer Apire One D255E
    « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 06:54:49 PM »
    CMOS battery on laptops does not control the BIOS password function...this is by design.

The normal option is to take it to an authorised service center...be prepared to show proof of ownership.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "