Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 2000 missing .dll file  (Read 35145 times)

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Win 2000 missing .dll file
« on: September 24, 2011, 09:52:10 PM »
hello to all. i am posting for a friend of mine so i might not have access to everything at the time

anyway, i have a computer that will not boot due to a missing hal.dll file in the C:/windows/system32 folder.
my basic guess is to temporarily boot the OS off of a boot-disk and while on this second OS, replace hal.dll from another computer running 2000

only problem is how to make the boot disk.
i do not have the setup disks for the OS.

This is an Acer Aspire one net-book, running a intel atom processor.

if anyone can give me options on how to replace the file let me know.
if you need more information, just ask.

pretty sure it was running service pack 3. could have been two though.

anyhow, please help and ill thank you much
THX in advance
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

zeroburn

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Knowlege will take you further than any guide
    • Yes
    • Jared Kat Enterprises
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Win 2000 missing .dll file
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 11:04:44 PM »
Ok. update. I found four floppy disks that are for the windows 2000 boot disk. are these universal to any computer??
i have tested these disks and it says INF file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing.
is this because i am not testing it on a windows 2000 computer
(i tested on a toshiba satelite 2595CDT running windows XP profestional)

PLZ HELP

will running these setup disks (assuming they will eventually work) cause the HDD to reformat?? because the computer i am fixing has 3 years worth of info that was (dumbly) never backed up
I consider myself a hacker. Not in the way of "I can break into your facebook" but in the way, I like to learn as much as I can, about anything i can. I don't just like having things fixed, I like to understand why it was broken and why a particular solution fixed it. It is just how I am, and how I will always be. As teachers have said before, you cant learn if you don't figure it out in your own mind.

christophersacchi

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 03:28:49 PM »
Here's one solution to your problem.

Step 1: Go to Knoppix Linux from http://www.knoppix.org.
Step 2: In the top right corner, click the United States/Britain flag with the words "EN" on it.
Step 3: On the website, click "Download".
Step 4: Scroll to the mirror "mirrors.kernel.org" and go to "ftp CD".
Step 5: On the next page, click Accept
Step 6: Scroll to the file name "KNOPPIX_V7.0.5CD-2012-12-21-EN.iso", and click on the file name.
Step 7: Save the file on your Windows XP computer.
Step 8: Burn the disc using a disc burner, such as ImgBurn (from http://www.imgburn.com).
Step 9: Boot your Windows 2000 computer from the disc, and hit Enter to start Knoppix when the penguin logo comes up.
Step 10: When you've booted Knoppix, click the button at the bottom-left corner that pops up with a menu almost like the start menu on Windows.
Step 11: Then, move your mouse to the internet menu and click iceweasel.
Step 12: Download the file I uploaded on

Step 13: Navigate to the download location in your downloads folder.
Step 14: Then, open another window with your "C:\WINNT\System32\" folder, (which is also your hard disk's partition 1 if you're not running a dual-boot).
Step 15: Copy and paste the hal.dll file to the "C:\WINNT\System32\" directory.
Step 16: Reboot your computer and restart Windows.

It should boot up again without problems. Hope this helps   ;).

Link Removed...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:32:09 PM by patio »

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 03:31:04 PM »
Please do not resurrect dead threads. Thank you.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 01:29:20 PM »
I know this is a dead thread, or moribund, but I wouldn't want anybody Googling in here and downloading that guy's DLL file. The thing is, the file named HAL.DLL is a custom file built at install time, tailored to the hardware the installer finds. (HAL stands for Hardware Abstraction Layer.) Somebody else's file will most likely be just as bad as none at all, and also downloading any system files from an unknown source is a very bad idea. In fact, having followed that link, the site looks distinctly odd, and I suggest that it should be removed. To regenerate a Windows 2000 hal.dll you need a good install set of disks or a Win 2K CD-ROM.