Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do you control downloading?  (Read 3383 times)

Jessneedhelp

How do you control downloading?
« on: September 25, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
I have downloaded and bought games online before but they always gave me an option on where to put them. You see I want to download them onto an externel hard drive to save space on my desktop. I have bought a game from a store but when i put it on the computer it gave no such option. So I was wondering if there was a setting some where on my computer that could control where downloads go?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: How do you control downloading?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 08:48:28 PM »
I have not yet tried downloading files directly then saving to a connected external storage, but an option on browsers specifying the location via Tools - Internet Options/Options and checkmark prompting user to save location on a dialogue box is your key here. The only DANGER of using a direct external storage location of downloading exe programs/installers is the interruption of transfer of data which might occur and could result in lost of all your data. Since downloads might take longer than transferring files from Internal drives to portable. I would suggest saving files directly first to your computer storage then transfer them later to your external drive as a safety measure. Delete the files in the HD since you have made a backup.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 08:49:48 PM »
If you run the game installer from the game DVD it should have an option to change the installation path of the game. Do you mean you want to put the game installer on your external hard drive or the game itself on your external hard drive?
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 01:22:14 AM »
I have not yet tried downloading files directly then saving to a connected external storage, but an option on browsers specifying the location via Tools - Internet Options/Options and checkmark prompting user to save location on a dialogue box is your key here. The only DANGER of using a direct external storage location of downloading exe programs/installers is the interruption of transfer of data which might occur and could result in lost of all your data. Since downloads might take longer than transferring files from Internal drives to portable. I would suggest saving files directly first to your computer storage then transfer them later to your external drive as a safety measure. Delete the files in the HD since you have made a backup.

I agree with Jason here. There are risks in doing this and should download to the desktop first, then copy them over.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 04:30:01 AM »
I suspect the OP is downloading the games through Steam or some other client. If so, you can't change where the games' content is downloaded to (AFAIK).