Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD/DVD driver works and doesn't works sometimes?  (Read 14317 times)

aisaka

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    CD/DVD driver works and doesn't works sometimes?
    « on: October 21, 2011, 10:29:56 PM »
    Hello! It's my first time here! erm...I need some help with my cd/dvd driver. My cd/dvd drive can read and write some dvds and cds but sometimes, it can't read them at all and this is not even the problem of disc brands or whatever. I use the cd disc to burn data files and I always buy dvd movies so that I can watch them easily on my laptop. I think the problem started around this year and every time I try to put in the dvd disc, it would make this weird clacking noise and soft lasering sound. I tried putting in other dvd disc and some of them can play.
    vice versa for the cd discs too.

I've checked in the device manager to see if my burner is having any problems but no. It says that it's working perfectly and I've also updated both of the drivers. I bought a laser lens cleaner but it doesnt even work. I'm pretty sure that it's not broken yet, seeing that it can still play and write other dvds and cds. I also tried cleaning the discs but nothing is happening!!! I'm totally frustrated! I need to back up all my data files in the disc so that i can release more space in my hard disk. T_T

oh and I'm running on
    Compaq Presario CQ40-401AX, 32 bit
    Windows Vista Home Basic,
    with the driver TSST CORP CDDVDW TS L633L.

any help would be appreciated! :3

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: CD/DVD driver works and doesn't works sometimes?
    « Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 07:19:05 AM »
    If the drive is more than 3 years old chances are it's getting ready to fail...especially with intermittent issues.
    They are relatively inexpensive now...i had a dual-layer DVD shipped for 30 Bucks last week...

10 minutes to install.

Unless of course this is a laptop burner...if so more costly.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 09:01:38 AM »
      In-line with patio's comments. Should you feel a "replacement"dvd/cd-rw is in your future you might wish to consider an external one. I recently purchased a 16x dvd/cd-rw for $28.00 and it works like a charm and the portability option plus being able to use it with a multitude of computers via USB connection has been of great benefit to me. truenorth

aisaka

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 05:34:48 AM »
        @patio: mm..well yes, it's already 3 years. I wanted to get it fix but my warranty is already over :/ and I don't have much cash now.

@truenorth: ah, i've been thinking of getting external ones too. But I'm not sure which one is the best since I've never purchased anything like that before. And I'm guessing that it'll be pretty pricey, since I'm living in asia. But how long do they usually last?

I'm wondering which one is much more costly, by fixing or buying an external burner... :/
        btw, thanks for helping me out guys!! :3

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 09:18:56 AM »
          aisaka, Belatedly welcome to the CH forums. To your questions:
          1."I wanted to get it fix but my warranty is already over " If you went the "fix" route it would NOT be worth it as it would cost you more to fix it than to replace it.
          2."But how long do they usually last?" If you are asking about how long an external may last that is nearly impossible to answer. If (because it is portable) you happen to drop it that would probably be the end of it's usable life. Then the factor of it's life expectancy as with all things mechanical would be determined by the frequency of use. If you are asking in the general sense how long optical drives might last. That too can be quite variable. There will undoubtedly be CH members that can relate to out of the box failures. Then there will be members (like myself) that have never had an optical drive failure. I have some in computers over 10 years old that still function properly. From what i have seen here on the forums it seems to be quite variable. I do not believe a particular brand ensures longevity more than any other.Your choice in that regard may be more of a factor of what software comes with the new drive (if that matters to you).Myself i usually am more influenced by price.
          3. Back to the "fixing" option. Given the way yours is currently performing (intermittent) there are somethings you can try yourself. The intermittent factor may be caused by a faulty cable (be it sata or ide from the motherboard to the drive--or even a loose cable) it could also be a damaged or loose power cable from the PSU to the drive. So if you are confident (or have someone available that can help you) then you could see if anything can be done in those areas. Before buying a new cable try to borrow one temporarily to see if it makes a difference.
          4."pretty pricey, since I'm living in Asia." Well as you undoubtedly know pretty well all these types of devices are produced in Asia so being more expensive there (particularly Hong Kong ) i would think would not be the case. However without knowing the particular country in Asia i imagine there could be great differences. I have had the occasion to order computer things from a source in Hong Kong that has no minimum order value and is free shipping on everything anywhere in the world. So do some Google searching for sources in your area or available to you and you might find a good buy.
          5."I'm wondering which one is much more costly, by fixing or buying an external burner..." I have already dealt with the "fixing" costs. On the price difference (in North America) between an internal or an external drive there is very little difference. By doing a diligent search you can find external cheaper than internals or vice versa (but the differences will be very little in the final analysis.
          truenorth

aisaka

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 08:56:38 PM »
            hmm...i see. i guess i should just check out the products first. I'm like you too, focusing on the pricing itself not particularly the brand or anything but since i'm not so good with buying external devices i'm afraid that i might get a faulty one. :/
            i think i'll still stick to buying an external one, since if buying an external one and fixing one would have the same pricing, in asia i mean. :>
            thanks for the advice and all truenorth! oh and the welcoming of course! >w<
            annnnd, im not sure with the cable part, i cant find anyone to help me, nor can i open up my own laptop. i even wanted to try to open it to clean the fan but it's so risky that i couldnt do it. =="
            anyway, thanks mate! ;3

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 08:49:02 AM »
              Didn't realize we were dealing with a laptop optical drive. Definitely then external is your way to go.Don't go poking around inside a laptop. With the external when/if your laptop totally bites the dust you will still have an optical drive you can use on your other computers in the future.truenorth