Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Grats everyone on rank 601  (Read 98880 times)

nixie

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Grats everyone on rank 601
« on: November 17, 2011, 11:55:12 AM »
Grats everyone on Rank of 601!   ;D

I am running combination of real quad-core version 7 and virtual single-core version 6.23 crunchers all on the same computer and today out of the group of 4 virtual and 1 physical machine cruncher, 3 of 5 systems completed work units which brought me from 49 to 47.

Originally I thought that the wasted resources to run the VM's would make the folding slow down greatly, since wasted cycles should give less productivity than running a single copy of F@H version 7 which utilizes all the cores, but it has actually boosted my completed units and figures. Thinking that version 7 may have been created to not roast your CPU to the maximum demand capabilities and by using these 4 VM's + the physical environment, I am tapping into the power that version 7 is not utilizing by it not being a CPU hog, and I am forcing folding to be a hog to make better use of the full CPU's capabilities.

[regaining space - attachment deleted by admin]

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Grats everyone on rank 601
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 03:14:44 AM »
Congrats everyone on the new rank (although we dropped to 602 and I've got your icon added to your profile Nixie. :)

Watch out <600 we're coming for you!
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

nixie

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 03:38:15 PM »
cool...thanks for adding icon to my profile  ;D

lectrocrew

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 05:51:59 PM »
Grats everyone on Rank of 601!   ;D

I am running combination of real quad-core version 7 and virtual single-core version 6.23 crunchers all on the same computer and today out of the group of 4 virtual and 1 physical machine cruncher, 3 of 5 systems completed work units which brought me from 49 to 47.

Originally I thought that the wasted resources to run the VM's would make the folding slow down greatly, since wasted cycles should give less productivity than running a single copy of F@H version 7 which utilizes all the cores, but it has actually boosted my completed units and figures. Thinking that version 7 may have been created to not roast your CPU to the maximum demand capabilities and by using these 4 VM's + the physical environment, I am tapping into the power that version 7 is not utilizing by it not being a CPU hog, and I am forcing folding to be a hog to make better use of the full CPU's capabilities.

I'm kind of lost on knowing about the technical stuff you are doing with your systems, but I've been watching your points progress in the last couple of weeks and I'm impressed with the result of your efforts. Keep up the good work!  :)
Mike