Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot delete horizontal line in the footer MS Word - Answer here!  (Read 55591 times)

kimba-lion

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Regarding the "How to remove the horizontal line from MS Word" problem.

One Word makes this problem different for many. That word is FOOTER. When the horizontal line is in a footer it is more of a *censored*. But it can be done! Read on.

Having now spent the better part of a day (endless blog surfing and Google queries) dealing with this problem (in MS Word 2007), I want to point out that a number of people in the replies were suffering the same problem as me - but it was NOT being solved by the solutions posted. As far as I know it has not been answered adequately on ANY of the forums. The problem was a horizontal line being automatically placed in the FOOTER section of the document.

Let me be clear - it is NOT a footnote separator issue.

It IS (ultimately ... ) a border clearing issue BUT, as was noted several times, highlighting the little one could of the line (in my case next to the page number) and then selecting "no borders" did NOT get rid of the line. BUT, it did something odd. In my case it jumped the line DOWN so it appeared BELOW (instead of above) my page number. But the *censored* line was STILL there! At this point I was pretty much ready to give up. Some people have reported that it jumped the line up. It would appear that it jumps the line up and down – the important thing is that the line moves.

BECAUSE - this weird wrinkle turned out to be a blessing, BECAUSE, it meant I could now highlight the page number (now above the line), the dreaded horizontal line, AS WELL as the space BELOW the dreaded line. At this point, selecting the "no borders" option once more – finally deleted the line. FINALLY!!!!!

Repeating this once on another page saw it disappear on every one of my 365 page footers. Allelujah.

Feel free to post this on your site as an update - it may save many others time and PAIN. BTW, I am not a tech or MS Word guru by any means - I just got lucky with trial and error - eventually. I hope it works for others out there.

zorros

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Cannot delete horizontal line in the footer MS Word - Answer here!
      « Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 10:46:58 AM »
      I had the same problem with this horizontal line. It just appeared out of nowhere, when I was adding borders to a table.
      I managed to remove it by selecting a small part of the line and then removing "page borders" (paragraph -> borders and shading -> page border). After doing this the line shortened a bit, and I was able to select and delete it. It was removed from all pages at the same time.
       I have Word 2010.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: Cannot delete horizontal line in the footer MS Word - Answer here!
      « Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 11:49:50 AM »
      He's been gone for about 2 Years now...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "