Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power Supply Issues  (Read 6610 times)

Power Supply Issues
« on: September 11, 2005, 07:55:14 PM »
I just recieved my new power supply.  I didn't plug any components into it, I just plugged it into the wall.  But when I flip the switch, it doesn't come on.  The fans don't move.  Is there something I'm doing wrong or is it a defect?  Do I need to plug in the motherboard for the power supply to turn on?  If that's the case, is it ok to plug the motherboard in without having the processor installed?  All I have is a motherboard.

mektek

Hopeful
  • Witty comment to be advised
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Power Supply Issues
    « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 04:50:04 AM »
    You need to plug it in to the motherboard for it to turn on. The motherboard power connector includes a pair of wires which if not connected to the board will not complete the circuit and allow the PSU to power up
    Tiggered - adj : It's been tiggered
    A computer that was working until tinkering broke it

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 06:48:54 AM »
    If that's the case, is it ok to plug the motherboard in without having the processor installed?  All I have is a motherboard.

What exactly are you trying to do?

If I were you I'd first wait until you'd actually have enough components to call your creation a computer.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 12:34:07 PM »
    Connect pins 14 and 15 together with a paper clip.

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 01:25:15 PM »
    So it's ok to plug the motherboard into the powersupply without having any other components in the power supply or motherboard?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 02:55:43 PM »
    So it's ok to plug the motherboard into the powersupply without having any other components in the power supply or motherboard?

What do you expect it to do with no CPU or memory?

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 07:53:28 PM »
    Just see if the power supply works.  I'm building a PC and I want to see if the power supply works incase I need to send it back.  If it's fine then I'll get the heatsink for the processor.

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 07:59:41 PM »
    Ok, so I put the motherboard in and plugged it into the power supply and turned it on.  When I did that, a green light on the motherboard came on.  Yes, there is power!  But the fans don't come on.  Are they not supposed to or something?  Maybe only when it needs to cool off, I mean, only one thing is plugged into it.

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 07:53:24 AM »
    Just see if the power supply works.  I'm building a PC and I want to see if the power supply works incase I need to send it back.  If it's fine then I'll get the heatsink for the processor.

You can't put power on the system without connecting a heatsink to the CPU.

Don't you people ever read the manuals?

If you want to test the PSU, you have to attach a load to it. Beats me what the minimum load is, I just pull out an old PC from storage.