Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: False CPU Fan Failure Message HP & Others  (Read 15251 times)

RWKTOMB

False CPU Fan Failure Message HP & Others
« on: January 14, 2012, 03:18:38 AM »
Hello All:

I happened on this forum and noted that there were several posts about a "False CPU Fan Failure Message"  that users have been experiencing. Although there are numerous reasons for this message being generated, most are false and have nothing to do with a failed CPU fan. Many are lead to believe or assume that the CPU fan has failed because of this message, a USB hub is at fault, and numerous other suspicions.

99% of the time when one opens the computer case they immediately note that the CPU Fan is running, there's no dust or any other issue that can be detected, however this warning message continues to be generated. This issue is most apparent on a cold start, not a restart.

The cause for this false message is most often associated with a peripheral USB device, such as a USB hub that places just a sufficient extra load on the power supply and the fan fails to come up to speed quickly enough due to the extra load from the USB devices plugged into the computer, thus preventing the CPU fan from developing sufficient RPM (below 500 RPM). Keep in mind that most hardware, including fans, is made in China and a lot of this hardware is not of the best quality (Cheap).

When the CPU fan fails to develop sufficient RPM quickly enough, the BIOS triggers the CPU FAN FAILUE MESSAGE AND SHUTS DOWN THE COMPUTER. This issue is especially associated with new HP/Compaq desktops. The CPU fan has to come up to speed quickly enough and produce at least 500 RPM, if the CPU fan is clocking at under 500 RPM, lets say, 450 to 475, there is a strong likelihood that the BIOS will trigger this message and shut down the computer. Obviously, once the fan is up to speed, the problem goes away. A good test would be to unplug all USB devices except the keyboard and mouse, PERFORM A COMPUTER COLD START, assuming that Windows starts normally, now plug in all your USB devices while the computer is up and running, then perform a restart, NOT A COLD START, A RESTART, if the computer restarts normally with no warning messages, then the issue is as I described above.

Some AMD processors do not let you configure the CPU fan setting, others do. There are two fixes for this problem:

Best Fix: Replace the CPU fan with a fan capable of producing at least 500 RPM  or more;

Temporary Fix: Some BIOS will allow you to uncheck the fan alert setting and this will temporarily solve the problem, however, this is only a temporary fix and you should replace the fan. CPU fans are cheap as dirt, go buy a good one and replace the fan, you don't want to risk blowing a CPU.

I've solved this problem for many people and I hope it will help you. As a side note: I'm 67 and have worked with computers before there weren't any personal computers, my comments are not intended to suggest that I'm the sharpest knife in the drawer, just to note that I'm experienced.

Hope this resolves your False CPU Fan Failure Warning Message.

RWK
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 03:33:33 AM by RWKTOMB »

RWKTOMB

Re: False CPU Fan Failure Message HP & Others
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 03:11:31 PM »
Hello All:

I happened on this forum and noted that there were several posts about a "False CPU Fan Failure Message"  that users have been experiencing. Although there are numerous reasons for this message being generated, most are false and have nothing to do with a failed CPU fan. Many are lead to believe or assume that the CPU fan has failed because of this message, a USB hub is at fault, and numerous other suspicions.

99% of the time when one opens the computer case they immediately note that the CPU Fan is running, there's no dust or any other issue that can be detected, however this warning message continues to be generated. This issue is most apparent on a cold start, not a restart.

The cause for this false message is most often associated with a peripheral USB device, such as a USB hub that places just a sufficient extra load on the power supply and the fan fails to come up to speed quickly enough due to the extra load from the USB devices plugged into the computer, thus preventing the CPU fan from developing sufficient RPM (below 500 RPM). Keep in mind that most hardware, including fans, is made in China and a lot of this hardware is not of the best quality (Cheap).

When the CPU fan fails to develop sufficient RPM quickly enough, the BIOS triggers the CPU FAN FAILUE MESSAGE AND SHUTS DOWN THE COMPUTER. This issue is especially associated with new HP/Compaq desktops. The CPU fan has to come up to speed quickly enough and produce at least 500 RPM, if the CPU fan is clocking at under 500 RPM, lets say, 450 to 475, there is a strong likelihood that the BIOS will trigger this message and shut down the computer. Obviously, once the fan is up to speed, the problem goes away. A good test would be to unplug all USB devices except the keyboard and mouse, PERFORM A COMPUTER COLD START, assuming that Windows starts normally, now plug in all your USB devices while the computer is up and running, then perform a restart, NOT A COLD START, A RESTART, if the computer restarts normally with no warning messages, then the issue is as I described above.

Some AMD processors do not let you configure the CPU fan setting, others do. There are two fixes for this problem:

Best Fix: Replace the CPU fan with a fan capable of producing at least 500 RPM  or more;

Temporary Fix: Some BIOS will allow you to uncheck the fan alert setting and this will temporarily solve the problem, however, this is only a temporary fix and you should replace the fan. CPU fans are cheap as dirt, go buy a good one and replace the fan, you don't want to risk blowing a CPU.

Lastly, there's a very small chance that the problem lies with computer power supply that isn't sufficient to manage all the devices you have plugged into it, however, experience has taught me that most of the time the issue is associated with what I have described above. In recent years computer manufacturers have been lowering the capacity of power supplies, used to be that computers had at least 250 - 300 watt supplies, I guess the lower power handling capacity was a bean counter cost savings idea.

In the end, I've solved this problem for many people and I hope it will help you. As a side note: I'm 67 and have worked with computers before there weren't any personal computers, my comments are not intended to suggest that I'm the sharpest knife in the drawer, just to note that I'm experienced.

Hope this resolves your False CPU Fan Failure Warning Message.

RWK

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 03:16:33 PM »
    Why have you used the "reply" function to simply quote your own original post? truenorth

jeremysdad

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 08:09:24 PM »
      Thank you for the tip. You saved me from a big hassel and some expense. There is somthing to be said for age! Jeremysdad.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 08:15:51 PM »
      Interesting.
      My imitated experience is the 100% of the fans that fail
       - are bad.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 10:25:29 PM »
      Interesting.
      My imitated experience is the 100% of the fans that fail
       - are bad.

The OP closed his account...
      No further replies would accomplish anything.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 04:59:31 AM »
      Beating a dead horse ...

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 05:19:11 AM »
      He's dead, Jim!
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
      Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none