Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP DV9000 laptop XP. Can not connect to wifi.  (Read 7938 times)

aere

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    HP DV9000 laptop XP. Can not connect to wifi.
    « on: January 24, 2012, 10:47:05 AM »
    I have a HP DV9000 laptop window XP that does not connect to wireless.
    I went to hardware device manager and they are all  working fine.  I tried a portable wireless adaptor and it works fine.
    There is a wireless switch at the front left of laptop, I don't know if it is supposed to be switched to left or right to turn it on.
    Whether I switch to left or right blue light(wireless switch on) does not turn on.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: HP DV9000 laptop XP. Can not connect to wifi.
    « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 12:52:49 AM »
    Whether I switch to left or right blue light(wireless switch on) does not turn on.
    Do you see a blue light from the led light?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 08:07:24 AM »
      I am including the steps to establish a connection with a wi fi . The link is for a different HP model however the instructions are the usual ones applicable to most wi fi connection procedures. Please read and follow them and if the problem remains let us know. It will be essential to 1st determine that your on/off switch for the wi fi is on and is in fact working.
      http://www.ehow.com/how_8244113_connect-pavilion-dv6000-wifi-network.html
      truenorth

aere

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 09:22:41 AM »
        Thanks truenorth. I will take a look.
        Yes Jason, there is blue led lights but they are power and HDD lights.  Wireless light is below them and it stays red.  From my past use, it turns blue when connected.

aere

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 09:58:04 AM »
          I just found out that the wireless switch is supposed to switch to right to turn it on.  In the past, when I do that the wireless light turned to blue. I did not drop the laptop top or anything.  I don't think there is any physical damage.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 04:49:29 PM »
            Unless there is something within the computer (such as in the bios to disable a wi=fi connection) it sure looks like a loss of a connection at a hardware connector. If it worked before and doesn't now something has changed.There are certain things (very few) that a laptop user should attempt to do in the way of repairs. Not knowing your experience/comfort level with opening up the case it may be the safest thing for you to do is take it to a reputable repair shop (unless it still has a warranty). Even if there were a possibility to disable the wi-fi function from within the bios i would still expect that the light should illuminate if the switch is in the on position.truenorth
            P.S. Just one last suggestion ==with the switch in the on position apply a small pressure on the case in various locations to see if you can get the light to come on even if only briefly.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 04:55:22 PM »
            I just found out that the wireless switch is supposed to switch to right to turn it on.  In the past, when I do that the wireless light turned to blue. I did not drop the laptop top or anything.  I don't think there is any physical damage.

Since you have now determined the correct switch position right clik the Network and select Repair...or set it up all over again via Control Panel...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 05:33:50 PM »
              Had a similar problem recently...found drivers for the wireless NIC were corrupted / uninstalled / rebooted / OK!

Alan <><
              I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 06:00:21 PM »
              Welcome Back Alan...hope all is well...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

TechKnowledge

Starter
              • If it's not broken, then don't fix it.
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 05:03:06 AM »
                Hello aere,

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this anyone, but my friend had the same problem. After months of persuading him to get rid of the Wireless Stick he used, I eventually got him to get it to work in his laptop. He explained to me that his "dad" has tried getting wireless to work, however it cost too much money. I just laughed. The best thing I can suggest for you my friend is to get the WiFi drivers for your laptops model from the HP driver/support site. Below I have posted a link to the drivers for your exact laptop, just choose your operation system somewhere on that page, and download the required drivers you need.

[Drivers for DV9000 Laptop WINDOWS XP]

And to make things quicker for you, below is the hyperlink for the WiFi driver, up to you which one you click.

[WiFi Driver for DV9000 Windows XP]

Good luck! And let us know how it goes. :)
                Regards,

TechKnowledge