Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop won't automatically connect to wifi  (Read 12451 times)

bdwillie

Topic Starter

Starter
    • Experience: Familiar
    Laptop won't automatically connect to wifi
    « on: March 18, 2012, 06:40:36 AM »
    Hello everyone

A little background:  Netgear N Gig wireless router feeding two netgear gig switches.  Two desktops (HP) wired, network printer wired, server (HP) wired, network media tank wired, WII wired, Acer laptop wireless, two HP laptops wireless, gateway laptop wireless.  All have permanent assigned I.P. addresses, and all can connect / talk with each other and the Internet.  Having trouble with one HP Laptop.

HP G71 with wireless N built in, and it is apparently run by HP WAN assistant program.  If I boot the computer from scratch, it will automatically connect to my router right off, no problems.  If I close the lid and put the computer in hibernate, upon restart it doesn't connect to the router right away, I not talking about fails to connect, it doesn't try to connect.  At this point I have two options to connect, I can leave it alone and wait (sometimes up to 4 minutes) until it decides to connect, or I can right click the icon in the systray and tell it to connect to a network, choose my network, and then we are go.   This laptop has had this annoyance since new.  My wife's identical laptop does not do this, it always connects right away.

I have a feeling it's in the HP WAN assistant, if I uninstall that will windows 7 automatically manage the wireless??

I have made sure that my home network is set for automatically connect under the manage wireless connections tab,  I have deleted every connection there but my home network too.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,  Bob

GlitchPC

Re: Laptop won't automatically connect to wifi
    « Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 07:27:39 AM »
    Bob...

Before we get too technical...see if there's an update to HP's Wireless Assistant.  If so...make sure you update that software...and try again to connect from wake.

If this doesn't work...there should be a setting somewhere in the Wireless Assistant program to return control back over to Windows...letting Windows manage the network, instead of HP.

If that doesn't work...try the following...

Try shutting down the HP WAN Assistant through services.msc.  I wouldn't recommend uninstalling it at this time.  Just stop the service to see if this remedies the problem on slow boot from wake.

If this doesn't work...you can uninstall HP's Wireless Assistant and let Windows manage the wireless connections.

You'll have to start the Wireless Zero Config service to return control of the WAN back to Windows...again, done through services.msc.  Just select Automatic, click Apply, Start...and then OK.
    « Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:38:13 AM by GlitchPC »

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 11:37:13 AM »
    Get rid of the HP WLAN programs and use the built-in Windows one. Always works.

bdwillie

Topic Starter

Starter
      « Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 06:41:40 PM »
      Will try your advise guys!!  Will let you know!

Thanks!!

bdwillie

Topic Starter

Starter
        « Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 06:50:50 PM »
        UPDATE!!  There was a newer version on HP wireless assistant, but that didn't help.  Since I had the downloaded file I uninstalled it and so far so good.  Now I do automatically connect in about 45 seconds after coming out of hibernation.  Calling this one solved!!  thanks guys!!