Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problem booting, 3f0 error, cant recognize hdd  (Read 20337 times)

taquecop

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    problem booting, 3f0 error, cant recognize hdd
    « on: March 23, 2012, 12:14:53 AM »
    I just bought a Laptop sold for $5 because it says cant boot, load OS disk;

HP G72-259WM, 4GB DDR4, 320GB HDD, Intel Pentium Dual Core T4500

I tried to install windows 7, and got to the area where it asks "which drive would you like to install windows 7 on"
    My options are 1: system 30mb, 2: Partition 300GB primary, 3: recovery and wouldn't you know it, i get an error message on all 3 stating cannot install on this drive. Obviously the computer recognizes the HDD or how else would it know how much memory the drives have.

Reboot and go into BIOS to attempt to diagnose, only to find that the hard disk in the first in the boot sequince followed by dvd drive, then usb floppy.
    The information section of BIOS states that WIN 7 in the OS installed on the computer. so I run a Hard Disk Check. it says "Hard Disk Not Exist"
    besides the terrible grammer, I check the hard disk and it is there so i took it out and re seated it a few times hoping trial and error would prevail, and the BIOS is certain that "Hard Disk Not Exist" and gives error code 3F0. I searched 3F0 on the web and found that hundreds of HP customers are angry yet some have resolution that either cannot function in my issue or I tried the "FIX" to no avail. I need help at this point, I believe my issue may be that the hard drive needs to be wiped clean and start over, but I cannot get the boot up disk to go anywhere past a blue screen with a little bird and it says setup is starting, I let it do its thing for about 2 hours and decide its not happening and retry for the same result.

I have no idea what other information you may need but please let me know

also, I saw one fix to format the disk as follows
    Bootrec.exe
    bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
    c:
    cd boot
    attrib bcd -s -h -r
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    bootrec /RebuildBcd
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot

of course i cannot get into the command prompt through the instilation due to hanging up on "Setup is Starting"
    is there any way to get to command prompt without OS. I am pretty sure that windows 7 is properly installed on the HDD, the computer just says "Hard Disk Not Exist" all help appreciated

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: problem booting, 3f0 error, cant recognize hdd
    « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 01:01:53 AM »
    Welcome!
    Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
    The forum will help everyone with all computer questions.

Here is the best advice I can give you.
    Stop trying to in stall on that hard drive.
    Just go get any hard drive that is compatible and try it. Even a much smaller drive.
    Example:
    Om eBay you can get a 60 GB STA laptop drive for about $30 from a reputable vendor.  A 60 GB is enough to test Windows 7 and  do useful stuff.
    f you can not get the laptop working with a good drive. sell it for parts.

Please stop the rumor that wiping a drive will fix it. Not true. If that were true, Microsoft would have found out by now. When Windows 7 says it can not install, there must be a reason.

Try another hard drive.

If I am wrong, please somebody correct me. 

taquecop

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 01:06:33 AM »
      sorry for the rookie misconception, but are we saying that the HDD is likely equal to trash? There is nothing else to try???

nalee

Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 09:24:48 AM »
        Being that there are different parts/pins to a harddrive, some portion of it might be bad.  You can do a HD test, or just buy a new one Geek-9pm suggested.  Wiping the harddrive fixes some issues, but like he said not all, and certainly no hardware issues.  Good luck
        "If you don't stand behind the troops, feel free to stand in front of em"

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 03:03:50 PM »
        nalee, Thank you for coming in.

Here is the reasoning.
        1. Wiping the drive does not reset everything. But ruins all data.
        2. There is data on the drive that is worth more than  the $30 it takes to test the laptop with a new drive.
        3. The failure can be in the BIOS, the hardware controller,  even the power supply.

I have been a Electronic technician for years and have retrieved some formal taring from big companies.  One of the rules you learn is non-invasive, non-destructive testing. Please, I man not taking down to you. The others here will, I believe, support me on this point.

The idea of   'fixing' a hard drive by wiping it is a urban myth.

You have received a message that the Hard drive is faulty. First, get the laptop work with a drive in good condition. That is a requirement of good technical practice for professionals.

Example: [Bad example]
        You car has dirty values. Your brother-in law says try replacing the oil with kerosene and driving it fast on the freeway.

Do you see the point?
        The above bad example violates the principal of non-destructive diagnostics.

Don't wipe the drive.   :)

taquecop

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 04:50:54 AM »
          Just making sure,

enough talk about wiping the hard drive, it isnt helping at this point, and help with other issues on the first post would be appreciated also.

1. when running windows 7 boot disk (USB DRIVE), it gets to the part where it asks which drive to install windows on and recognizes the correct amount of memory located in the HDD through multiple partitions, one being restore partition, so something is detecting the HDD.

2. is there any way to get into the command prompt from startup without using the boot disk

also, there is only one place on the mother board to connect HDD, my fear is that the mother board is bad, anyone good at estimating price of repair if it is bad.

taquecop

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 04:52:17 AM »
            also have found a ton of people having the 3f0 error on hp/compaq laptops, cant find a fix that works researching the internet, if anyone can fix this, its the talented folks at ComputerHope.com

Computer_Commando

Hacker

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 07:46:01 AM »
            Computer_Commando suggests getting a recovery CD from HP.
            That is an excellent idea. If under $70, a good investment

Here are some addition ideas that might help some.
            If another PC is available, maybe a desktop, you can try to analyze that sick hard drive without destroying anything. But If that is not practical, have a friend burn a diagnostic CD for testing the laptop.

Also, Many laptops can have two hard drives on the motherboard, but the documentation does not make this crystal clear. There is not room inside the laptop for the second drive, but a technician can do two drives for testing purposes with the case open. But that has real element of risk.

For many of us hobbyists, the most effective tool is a 'Linux Live' CD that can boot and run Linux without any need for a working hard drive. But the 'Live CD' has to be build using a good PC. Likewise for many other tools available. You have ton have a working desktop or laptop.

Hiren's BootCD 15.1 - All in one Bootable CD

The Hiren's CD is a dubious choice because of possible copyright issues. But look at the link anyway. It has a list of what tools are available to run off a CD.

Earlier I mentioned getting a cheap drive to get the laptop up and running. If you can get that far, the laptop can burn either CDs or USB sticks to be used later to diagnose the sick drive.

Maybe thins is what you want:
            Bootable USB with Windows 7 Recovery Console - MajorGeeks
            But that is something they want to sell you. Not recommended.

There is a lot of free stuff out there. There are partition recovery tools that can be put on a CD. Some free. Again, you need a working machine to download and prepare the USB flash. That is why I recommended getting a spare drive.

My personal choice, but some risk involved.Might  wipe out the drive anyway.
            http://www.minitool-partitionrecovery.com/

Hope you get a resolution soon.