Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Freezes and Loops Sound  (Read 21842 times)

KyittKat

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer Freezes and Loops Sound
    « on: March 31, 2012, 04:50:52 PM »
    I have recently, say about a week ago, started encountering a problem where my system freezes, becomes non-responsive, and loops audio. The only way to correct the problem is to shut down the computer and restart it. It most often occurs when I am playing computer games and running other programs (like Skype) at the same time, but I have been doing this long before the freezing started occurring without any sort of problems.

Also on another possibly related note, the computer in general has become more sluggish as of late.

I ran a google search of the freezing and audio loop and it lead me to believe that my RAM might be faulty. However, when I tested the RAM with the Windows Memory Diagnostic and it came back with no errors.

Computer Information
    System: Gateway LX6810-01
    RAM: 4GB
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33 GHx (4 CPUs)
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
    Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Computer Freezes and Loops Sound
    « Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 10:00:33 PM »
    Let's stress-test the rest of your hardware first, then:

1) Download http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html A neat little temperature monitoring application. If there are any temperatures out of the ordinary post back.
    2) IntelBurnTest for your CPU: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/IntelBurnTest.shtml Run it on Standard, 1024MB, for 5 passes. If your system gets unstable in the process it will tell you.
    Furmark for your Graphics card: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/FurMark.shtml Run the 720p benchmark. If your system gets unstable there will be artifacting on the screen or the picture will freeze. Also, REALLY watch the temperatures closely, if they look like they are going to skyrocket above 90C, stop and reapply thermal paste to your graphics card. Furmark has already posted pictures of blown GTX 275 VRMs as a warning to others.

Computer still alive and trotting along without benchmark failures? Good.
    Now go to Start->Run->DXDIAG, go into the Sound tab, set hardware acceleration to "none" then play a few games with sound and see if the problem still persists.
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 12:30:37 AM »
    To add to what Transfusion has said, test your memory with Memtest86 (see link in my signature). Download the ISO, burn it to a CD, then boot from the CD. Let the test run for several passes (can take hours).

It sounds to me to either be a memory or a heat problem. Open up the side of the case and check for dust build-up on the fans and CPU cooler.

KyittKat

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 04:37:30 PM »
      Let's stress-test the rest of your hardware first, then:

1) Download http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html A neat little temperature monitoring application. If there are any temperatures out of the ordinary post back.
      2) IntelBurnTest for your CPU: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/IntelBurnTest.shtml Run it on Standard, 1024MB, for 5 passes. If your system gets unstable in the process it will tell you.
      Furmark for your Graphics card: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/FurMark.shtml Run the 720p benchmark. If your system gets unstable there will be artifacting on the screen or the picture will freeze. Also, REALLY watch the temperatures closely, if they look like they are going to skyrocket above 90C, stop and reapply thermal paste to your graphics card. Furmark has already posted pictures of blown GTX 275 VRMs as a warning to others.

Computer still alive and trotting along without benchmark failures? Good.
      Now go to Start->Run->DXDIAG, go into the Sound tab, set hardware acceleration to "none" then play a few games with sound and see if the problem still persists.

The 3 tests ran without any problems reported.
      My only problem was that on my DXDIAG I have two tabs for Sound and neither of them have any sort of option for hardware acceleration that I can see.

To add to what Transfusion has said, test your memory with Memtest86 (see link in my signature). Download the ISO, burn it to a CD, then boot from the CD. Let the test run for several passes (can take hours).

It sounds to me to either be a memory or a heat problem. Open up the side of the case and check for dust build-up on the fans and CPU cooler.

Checked the inside of the case and there was a little dust, but not the amount for me to think that it'd be causing a problem.
      I cleaned it up and will run the memory test as soon as I find some time where I can let the computer sit unused for a couple of hours.

KyittKat

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 03:36:51 PM »
        Memtest86 came back with no errors.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 03:41:15 PM »
        You said the system feels sluggish. Can you describe exactly what is happening please?

KyittKat

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 06:02:07 PM »
          By sluggish I mean at times things in general are just slower to respond. Programs open slower, mouse moves slower, takes longer to startup/shutdown, takes longer to load the desktop, etc.

The freezing now no longer just occurs while a game is running. Today it froze on the login screen after I locked the desktop.

KyittKat

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 11:30:07 PM »
            So apparently this thread fell off the front page and got no response.
            I didn't revive it until now because it seemed like the problem had gone away, however it is back doing the same exact thing as it was before.

Any other ideas as to what it could be?

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 12:39:12 AM »
            I do apologize for the lack of a prompt reply to your thread, I assumed that Allan (not to put any particular blame or offense on him or anything) would follow up with a few suggestions after he wanted you to describe what exactly was "sluggish"... and I merely read your last post and forgot about this thread until now...  :(

Also about my post regarding disabling sound acceleration, I did not realize that Microsoft had removed it starting with Windows Vista.

You have run all 3 benchmark tests without issues.
            System: Gateway LX6810-01
            Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33 GHx (4 CPUs)
            Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
            Your computer ships with a paltry GeForce GT 120, and you upgraded it. Did you upgrade the power supply too? There is no way the included 400W power supply would reliably power your computer with the GTX 560 installed.

Try scanning your hard drive for errors, too:
            http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaTools_for_Windows.pdf 
            http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=seatools-win&vgnextoid=552bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD 
            With Seagate Seatools. Do the "Short Drive Self-test."

Also, you note that "things in general are slower to respond". It could be a memory configuration error. I have seen faulty memory controllers cause RAM to behave oddly in Dual-Channel mode, but not in Single Channel mode. Take out one stick of RAM (which will make the other stick run in Single-Channel mode) and see if the error persists. If it works fine, then try running both sticks in single-channel mode by placing one in DIMM slot 1 and the other in DIMM slot 4.
            In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.

quaxo

Guru
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 12:48:56 AM »
            So apparently this thread fell off the front page and got no response.
            I didn't revive it until now because it seemed like the problem had gone away, however it is back doing the same exact thing as it was before.

Any other ideas as to what it could be?

Well, you posted back that the memory wasn't coming up with any errors, so I was waiting for you to come back with temperature readings, as was suggested by Transfusion and myself.

KyittKat

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 08:51:54 PM »
              I do apologize for the lack of a prompt reply to your thread, I assumed that Allan (not to put any particular blame or offense on him or anything) would follow up with a few suggestions after he wanted you to describe what exactly was "sluggish"... and I merely read your last post and forgot about this thread until now...  :(
              It's fine, I had forgotten about it myself when the problem seemed to disappear. :)

You have run all 3 benchmark tests without issues.Your computer ships with a paltry GeForce GT 120, and you upgraded it. Did you upgrade the power supply too? There is no way the included 400W power supply would reliably power your computer with the GTX 560 installed.
              It took some time to decipher, apparently I have a foreign power supply, but it does appear to be a 400W. I assumed that the computer place that recommended the card, after the fan on my 9800GT quit working, would have told me if I needed to upgrade the power for it, but they did not say anything about it.
              I'm guessing this is the problem?

Try scanning your hard drive for errors, too:
              http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaTools_for_Windows.pdf 
              http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=seatools-win&vgnextoid=552bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD 
              With Seagate Seatools. Do the "Short Drive Self-test."
              Scans reported no problems.

Also, you note that "things in general are slower to respond". It could be a memory configuration error. I have seen faulty memory controllers cause RAM to behave oddly in Dual-Channel mode, but not in Single Channel mode. Take out one stick of RAM (which will make the other stick run in Single-Channel mode) and see if the error persists. If it works fine, then try running both sticks in single-channel mode by placing one in DIMM slot 1 and the other in DIMM slot 4.
              Will try this as soon as I get the time to do so.

Well, you posted back that the memory wasn't coming up with any errors, so I was waiting for you to come back with temperature readings, as was suggested by Transfusion and myself.
              My apologies, I thought you meant to only post back about the temps if they seemed abnormal.
              I attached the HWMonitor report file to this post.

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]

quaxo

Guru
                • Yes
              « Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 09:29:31 PM »
              Hardware monitor   NVIDIA NVAPI
                 Voltage 0   0.99 Volts [0x3DB] (VIN0)
                 Temperature 0   63°C (145°F) [0x3F] (TMPIN0)
                 Fan 0      1410 RPM [0x582] (FANIN0)
                 Fan PWM 0   36 pc [0x24] (FANPWMIN0)

If this reading was taking when the video card was idle (no significant load, no games running) then it may be your problem. 63°C (145.4°F) is a bit hot. Based on what information I could find online, that card should idle around 30-35°C (86-95°F) and hit 70-80°C (158-176°F) under full load. If it's idling in the 60s (140s if Fahrenheit), it's probably getting way above that under load. (Based on 21°C or 70°F room temperature with proper case ventilation.) The temperature threshold for that card is 99°C (210°F), once it nears or passes that, you will likely experience issues like you're having now.

With CPUID's HWMonitor (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html) running, put a significant load on the system then check the video card temperatures (Alt+Tab out of the game and take a peek).

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 10:50:39 PM »
              It took some time to decipher, apparently I have a foreign power supply, but it does appear to be a 400W. I assumed that the computer place that recommended
              I buy power supplies based on real-world power consumption reviews, which is why I settled on a 430W PSU for my XFX HD 5850. But 400W is really pushing it. Really.
              http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-560/specifications 
              Minimum 450W. Considering you have a C2Q Q8200 with a TDP of 95W, I'd really upgrade your PSU.
              A decent 500W PSU like this will do:
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031

quaxo

Guru
                • Yes
              « Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 11:51:25 PM »
              I buy power supplies based on real-world power consumption reviews, which is why I settled on a 430W PSU for my XFX HD 5850. But 400W is really pushing it. Really.
              http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-560/specifications 
              Minimum 450W. Considering you have a C2Q Q8200 with a TDP of 95W, I'd really upgrade your PSU.
              A decent 500W PSU like this will do:
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171031

I missed that bit.

It could very well be the issue as well, as the specs for that card call for a 450w PSU minimum.

ortymd

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 02:19:13 AM »
                KyittKat, did you manage to solve the problem with any of given advices? I'm having similar issues, so would be grateful if you posted your experience with solutions above.