Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Programs Install into H Drive (how to change?)  (Read 3721 times)

Nightjay0044

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Programs Install into H Drive (how to change?)
« on: June 17, 2012, 09:55:44 PM »
Hi, I have 2 local disks (H) & (C).

Everytime I install a new program it installs into H drive which doesn't have enough space. How do I get xp to automatically put them into C Drive? You would think it went into C drive already, but it goes into H. I don't know how to change the settings..

Thanks in advance....

All in good time.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Programs Install into H Drive (how to change?)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 10:10:32 PM »
Which drive is the system drive?

You can change the installation drive and directory through the installer for whatever program you're installing. There aren't many programs out there that won't ask you or allow you to change the installation directory. If it doesn't ask you directly where you want it, it will sometimes have an option to do a "custom" installation or have a button to change the installation directory/folder.

Microsoft recommends not changing the default Program Files location. Apparently it can cause issues if you edit the registry value that controls the default location of Program Files. However, this doesn't mean that you can't just tell a program to install anywhere you want it.

The default location for Program Files is systemdrive\Program Files, in which normally the C: drive is the system drive. If you installed Windows XP with H: as the system drive, the only way to fix that is by reinstalling Windows to C:, making it the system drive. Or you can manually select a location each time you install a program.

Nightjay0044

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
Re: Programs Install into H Drive (how to change?)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 07:10:13 PM »
Thank you for the feedback. It was helpful. I'm Figuring out how to install things manually into C drive. I don't feel like re installing windows. Can't you change your drive letter settings from xp system in your bios?
All in good time.