Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Not Turning On After New Graphics Card Was Installed  (Read 12194 times)

Meta

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    I Just bought a Gigabyte GTX 650 Overclock version for my computer, but after installing it my computer doesn't display anything on the monitor. With out the Graphics Card the computer turns on fine with no problems, when it turns on it has a short beep then startsup. But with the Graphics card the computer turns on, the fans are on etc. but there is no beep and the monitor doesn't get any signal. There was no previous graphics card it was just the standard VGA graphics Adapter (in device manager).

I'm using Windows 7 32 bit
                    4 GB of ram
                    Intel Pentium D CPU 3.20 GHz
                    Thermaltake 500watt PSU
    I'm sorry if i haven't provided enough information, I'm not very tech savy

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Computer Not Turning On After New Graphics Card Was Installed
    « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 08:30:28 AM »
    Have you got the 6 pin power connector plugged into the graphics card?
    Have you tried reseating the card, or a different slot if you have one, or tried the PC again with the card removed?
    These issues are usually related to either something not being plugged in, or not quite making a connection.
    Try the above, and let us know how you go, welcome to the forums :)

Meta

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
      I have the 6 pin power connector plugged into the graphics card, i tried the one given to me by Gigabyte and the one the PSU had provided but none worked. I can't try it in another slot because only have 1 that works with the Graphics Card, and the PC turns on completely normally with out the driver installed. :-\

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 09:36:30 AM »
      Do you have another PC you could try the card in by any chance?  If not, I would say it's looking like either an incompatibility issue of some sort, or a DOA graphics card - trying it in another PC would rule out incompatibility, though that's fairly uncommon.

Meta

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 01:06:24 AM »
        Unfortunately I don't have any other computer, so will try to get a replacment. Do you have any other suggestions for Graphics Cards that I purchase if the replacement doesn't work? It may also take atleast a week untill I can get the replacement.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 08:59:07 AM »
        To be honest, whatever card you get will be heavily bottlenecked by your CPU, so you won't get the best out of anything you buy.
        The GTX650 is a fairly cheap lower midrange card, which doesn't require much power, so either that or something like a Radeon HD7770 (a little faster for around the same price) would be your best bet really.