Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I delete old IE8 Updates?  (Read 33965 times)

bokabay

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Can I delete old IE8 Updates?
    « on: July 17, 2012, 01:50:57 PM »
    Following on from my earlier post on win32k.sys, I find that I have about 25 security updates for IE8.
    I run MS XP Professional SP3, on a desktop, with split hard drive. C: where the OS and main programmes are stored 20GB, and D: for data and miscellaneous programmes 60GB.
    Anyway, these KB IE8-specific updates appear both in WINDOWS\IE8updates and in WINDOWS\$hf-mig$. Total space taken is close to 1GB, ie a serious amount of space, given that my C: drive is almost full.
    Looking at the MS pages, the updates claim to replace the immediately prior update.
    This says to me that I can indeed delete the older versions.
    Before I do so, I'd appreciate advice from anyone out there with actual knowledge of the situation.
    Thanks

johhny-marshal

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Can I delete old IE8 Updates?
      « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 12:34:25 AM »
      hi..
      you can update your IE and yes you can delete it as well. But its better to do not delete it as it is an application of Windows. by default you can loss some files and other web browsers also face problem while connecting to web or at the time of search.
      you can get rid of these security updates of IE8, follow the steps
      1. open IE, click on "Tools" then select the "Internet Option"
      2. click on Security Tab and click on "Custom Level" a dialog box appear
      3. scroll and select "Miscellaneous" section. click "Display mixed content" option, and select Enable from radio button.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 01:27:40 AM »
      Johnny-Marshal is indeed correct that removing Internet Explorer is possible, but that doing so has its own negative repercussions.

Regarding the safety of deleting these updates:
      A Microsoft MVP says, regarding WINDOWS\$hf-mig$: "Do NOT touch anything in $hf_mig$ . This folder contains files that are needed to determine which version of a file has been updated previously." (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windowsupdate/182080-uninstalling-updates-hfmig-folder.html)
      Another source that says not to delete the contents of WINDOWS\$hf-mig$ http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/can-delete-hf_mig-ntservicepackuninstall-ntuninstallkb8287-t444182.html

Regarding Windows\IE8Updates, multiple sources also said that this was a bad idea. (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-internetexplorer-general/472306-c-windows-ie7-ie8update-folders.html being one, though I didn't think it as much of an authoritative source).
      Interestingly, while Gooling around, I ran into this very topic here on ComputerHope.

I suggest this as a way to clear up disk space:
      You might consider using a tool like CCleaner to help you clear out excess files and recover some disk space.
      Visit CCleaner's website: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
      Download CCleaner: http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
      CCleaner is free.
      You might browse this document: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,20157.0.html
      To get an idea of the options available in CCleaner.

When you open CCleaner, on the main screen you will see a list of programs and files which you can clear out.

Go ahead and select everything under Internet Explorer, unless you want to keep Autocomplete Form History and Saved Passwords (in that case, just don't check those boxes).
      Select everything under Windows Explorer (Network Passwords might be good to keep if you save passwords under Explorer's FTP client).
      Select everything under System except for Windows Error Reporting, which is useful to look back on occasionally.

You can go through and select things under Advanced as well, I'd recomend just leaving "Custom Files and Folders" and "Wipe Free Space" off.

You can switch to the applications tab and choose what you want in there as well.

If you don't want to do such a thorough clean or if that seems too complicated, you might just use the Disk Cleanup tool in Windows XP.
      Just click Start> Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Disk Cleanup
      (Occasionally some system tools are displayed under Accessories, and not the sub-menu System Tools).

I think either of these will help clear space, even though you have a split hard drive (OS on one partition, programs on another, right?). Unless of course you already run programs like this.
      « Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:42:40 AM by Zylstra »

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 06:40:23 AM »
      If, after doing as Zylstra suggested, your drive C is still cramped for space, and if you have some space on D that you can give up, you could use a partition manager such as Free EaseUSŪ Partition Master 9.1.1 Home Edition to re-size C and D, allocating more space for C and less for D. 

Before attempting to use a partition manager, backing up your important files on an external media is advised. 

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 06:49:10 AM »
      Best ways to regain space on your drive:

1) Either disable System Restore (this will regain a HUGE amount of space) or limit the space it can use. If you disable it, just begin using disk imaging software on a regular basis. It's a better option anyway.

2) Empty the recycle bin and reduce the space allotted to it

3) Ditto Temporary Internet Files Folder

4) Delete file in your TEMP folder(s) on a regular basis