Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 has a black screen after coming out of hibernation **fix for some**  (Read 7772 times)

hartbeatmr

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Hi all

I just joined your site and I wanted to post a fix that i know has been ALL over WWW. If you have a laptop and it has W7 (32 - 64bit)

Problem was on Some laptops with W7 HomePrem, Pro etc  When the laptop is put to hibernation (ie closing the lid so it goes to sleep) and upon resuming (ie pushing the power button or on some laptops just opening the lid) and the LCD looks black but really the backlight just never kicks in but the fans are running, HD light is blinking etc. Changing sleep options NC, BIOS options (C3 etc) NC, power options, Hybrid Options NC, BIOS update NC etc. (And yes I know SLEEP and hibernation are different) but some people out there reference to both as the same thing. A good way to test this issue is when the laptop was in hibernation and you try to wake it up and it seems to be running just plug in a CRT or lcd into the video port on the laptop and bang both displays work! and when you unplug the external monitor your laptop screen is normal once again check any and all USB devices.   

Here was the FIX and it has worked many laptops. Again it has to do with USB devices again. When the laptop is put to hibernation (closing the lid) but upon pushing the power button or opening the lid the screen stays black or seems black but really the backlight is just not kicking in. If the person has a "thumb drive" "usb stick" etc what ever they ant to call them. DO NOT leave the thumb drive in the usb port and put the laptop into hibernation / sleep doing so will stop it from waking up. Wireless mice drivers help on some and external HD can cause the black screen issue also. *Plus keep one thing in mind removing a usb device when windows is doing it's hibernation/ going into hibernation thing DO NOT REMOVE it. Wait until the PC is off then remove the thumb drive.
I Know this will help a lot of people out there, the issue is some times a driver, or a device that is installed etc. It just is trial and error.
Thanks, and good luck Mike
 ;D

Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
Also: Most laptops have USB devices built-in- most notably things like webcams.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
(And yes I know SLEEP and hibernation are different) but some people out there reference to both as the same thing.
If you know they are different, then why are you not making the distinction in your post?  You are talking about them as though they are the same thing, even though acknowledge, in the above quote, that they are not. 

If true hibernation was used, then the computer is fully powered down and will awake by opening the lid on a laptop or moving a mouse or touching the keyboard.