Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: printer sharing  (Read 3401 times)

Russell Mortimer

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    printer sharing
    « on: August 13, 2012, 11:29:28 PM »
    Hi Members,

I have desktop Windows XP connected to virgin hub broadband hardwired, also to hp printer hardwired.

I  have now also Dell vostro Windows vista wireless configured to same virgin hub.

How to I configure my wireless laptop to use same printer???

Keep it simple aint no geek

Thanks
    Russ

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: printer sharing
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 12:15:18 AM »
    Good morning Russell Mortimerand welcome to CH

OK yes you can share the printer but is this HP one of the newer ones that wireless built into it?

#1... Your HP printer does it have a wireless function built in it? if so that would be much easier and you would not have to share it thru the PC. Otherwise just follow the steps below. Also in order for any other PC to print to the printer the desktop that has XP on it will need to be on so the other PC's can send print jobs to it.   

The XP desktop you will have to go to the printer and right click and share it just like this link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457001.aspx in the instructions they tell you about installing older OS drivers if everything in your house is XP and above you do not have to worry about that part.

Please let us know how you make out, Mike
    Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Russell Mortimer

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 01:07:59 AM »
      Hi Mike,

Thanks for prompt reply, HP Photosmart2600 printer does not have wireless function
      will try to follow instructions as advised, will let you know, desktop old hp xp not wireless
      does not have vista as os sharing option, do I have to download that driver to add
      to driver sharing list???

Cheers
      Russ

hartbeatmr

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 08:22:48 PM »
      Good evening Russell Mortimer and welcome back to CH

Just in-case you are not aware of this ALL pc's that will share anything, folders, printers, drives etc must have the same workgroup name. That name can be anything you want to create it as (i.e home group, workgroup, shop pc's etc)

Now once you have the XP PC setup with the printer and it is shared just follow the directions here for the printer section just look down about 3/4 of the page http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Access-files-and-printers-on-other-homegroup-computers

Just another note printer sharing once it is set up is pretty straight forward but sharing files in-between XP and Vista is another story and can be a pain :'(

Don't worry you will do just fine, if you have another question please just come back, Mike     
      Statement of the day.  The IT person asked. What kind of computer do you have and the customer replied a white one why?

Russell Mortimer

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 11:13:17 PM »
        Hi Mike,

At last!!...got somebody who knows....now working fine....many tks for help.

Regards
        Russ