Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HDD error "1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure Attribute failed: #83"  (Read 7205 times)

motivationalist

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Ok, here's the history of the problem.

I have 80GB Hard drive "Samsung sp0411c" and I am using it since two years with my old desktop system with this S.M.A.R.T error at the startup (BIOS).

TWO YEARS BACK

I think there are some bad sectors involved at the last part of the HDD space. There were 4 partitions initially i.e. (C, D, E, & F). The problem started with partition F with following issues;

? Always took so long copying files into F

? System got stuck up when some file(s), folder(s) from F drive were opened and then automatic restart

? That time ran CHKDSK on F drive but in the middle of scanning it always restarted the PC automatically.

? Sometimes system restarted when I was copying some random data in the F partition.

? Whenever this restart thing happened, at the start up it displayed that there is no primary hard drive detected. Then eventually it came back live after 2-3 attempts (always).

? I also deleted the Partition F: and then recreated the partition but same problems persisted.

1 YEAR BACK

** Due to above issues I left the partition F as it was and used others like C,D & E but an year before the partition E started to do things same way F was doing and at that point F was not accessible with error popping (The disk is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?)

** I formatted the partition F and ran following HDD tools afterwards (Partition Table Doctor) (HDD Regenerator). Surface tests for C,D,E was fine but when it started scanning the HDD somewhere in F partition area, these tools messed up with something (took so long) (stuck at sectors for long time without repairing it).

6 MONTHS BACK

I came to know that there are some serious issues in the HDD sectors inside the last 1GB part of the hard disk. I made 5 partitions C,D,E,F,G . The G partition was for 1GB space and I never opened this drive since I created it because this will cause same problem what the F was doing before.

NOW!!!

I don't have much issues with C,D,E & F while operating them. Don't use F too much to be at safe side.

But I feel that HDD is very slow overall and and every time I turn this system on I get "720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure Attribute failed: #83". Wondering if it could be fixed or not and I know and understand that my hard disk was failing ever since and most of you guys will advice to back up and purchase a new one, but I am still on to fix this one and, as if there's any way to get it right up?

Many Thanks!