Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Pavilion Error (3F0)  (Read 19506 times)

gtifeld

Topic Starter

Starter
    • Experience: Experienced
    HP Pavilion Error (3F0)
    « on: March 26, 2013, 12:39:31 PM »
    Greetings. I've seen this problem addressed but haven't found a solution that pertains to my situation exactly. I have a friend with a Pavilion dv5-1017nr that is suddenly giving the 3F0 code on startup (Boot Device Not Found -  Please install an operating system on your hard disk). If I attempt to run the diag hard disk test, it says "Hard Disk Not Exist".

I swapped the drive with another SATA drive from another laptop (a Toshiba). The drive from the Toshiba laptop boots normally in the HP and the drive from the HP boots in the Toshiba. But switching them back produces the same results in the HP. Based on that, I don't believe the connector cable or motherboard is the issue. I've also tried restoring the BIOS defaults and clearing the power, but no difference.

Any ideas/suggestions? If any other information is needed, I'll be glad to provide. I thank you in advance for any assistance.

Regards,

--- Gary

gtifeld

Topic Starter

Starter
      Re: HP Pavilion Error (3F0)
      « Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 02:05:20 PM »
      I should have provided more info. in the original post about the laptop in question, so here it is:

HP Pavilion dv5-1017nr Notebook
      Windows Vista SP2 x64
      Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 @ 2.26ghz
      4gb RAM
      BIOS: F.21

Once again, if any other info. is needed, I'll gladly provide it. Thank you.

--- Gary

CWB:Hinton

Rookie

• Experience: Expert
        « Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 03:27:54 PM »
        Hi,

It certainly looks like another HDD failure.  The only things I can suggest trying before replacing the drive is:

1.  Shutdown the notebook, remove the AC Adapter and remove the battery.  Hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then re-insert the battery, plug in the AC Adapter and see if it will start.

2.  Shutdown the notebook, remove the AC Adapter and remove the battery.  Hold down the power button for 30 seconds.  Now physically remove the HDD and then reinstall it again to see if this helps.

gtifeld

Topic Starter

Starter
          « Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 09:54:37 AM »
          Hi,

I've already tried both of those steps and unfortunately they made no difference. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I'm just curious about one thing. If the HD is in fact bad, then would it still boot in another laptop? If it weren't for that, I'd have just presumed the drive was no good. Am I missing something?

Thanks again.

Regards,

--- Gary

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs

Lisa_maree

Mentor
          • My first real computer
            • Yes
          « Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 02:01:22 PM »
          Hi

Just a few things to try .

With the HP drive in the HP see if you can hear it spinning when you power the laptop on ?

It could be the laptop is posting faster than the drive can come up ready, perhaps after the error try a Ctrl alt delete instead of a power down this will restart the post but not power down the hard drive. If the error goes away, there maybe a bios setting to wait a few seconds for the  hard drive to come ready and setting this could fix it .

If you check the 2 hard drives they will have there current writen on the lable some are as low as 320ma and others need 650ma if the one that isn't working in the HP but does work in the toshiba uses a higher current then perhaps the HP can't supply that much current to start the drive.

Just some ideas  :)

Lisa_maree

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
          ― John Bunyan