Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ATI Catalyst for Linux  (Read 4669 times)

waltzcar

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    ATI Catalyst for Linux
    « on: April 11, 2013, 11:51:46 AM »
    My dual boot Dell 9400 laptop is freezing immediately after login in Linux (Lubuntu).  I had the same problem when I booted into XP until I was able to download ATI Catalyst and .NET ver 1.1.  I can run in Linux in recovery mode (doing it now), but I'm looking for a fix.  I found a Linux download for ATI Catalyst and tried downloading it, but I cannot figure out how to install it (I think I found the files on my hard drive, but they may be the ones I downloaded for XP).  Any ideas?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: ATI Catalyst for Linux
    « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 07:59:58 PM »
    I had to install the ATI Catalyst driver for my system running MINT Cinnamon 13 with ATI Radeon HD5450 video card. Will see if I still have that driver for info on my one test box to share with you.

I needed it to be able to play World of Warcraft through Mint 13 and Wine 1.4 to increase my frame rate from 4 fps with default linux generic driver to 15 fps. But the other thing I found out is that the card had to run games with OpenGL vs DirectX so due to OpenGL the games took a video performance hit. I was hoping to cure it with a better driver, but BC_Programmer pointed out the fact that I was unaware of which was that, its using OpenGL and thats my problem with the poor performance with that game.

waltzcar

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 07:52:18 AM »
      My laptop has ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 video driver.  The ATI website says that it is not supported.  I found the download information on another site forum and copied and pasted into terminal.  I think all the files are on my drive, but I can't figure out how to install them.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 09:19:11 AM »
      Laptop drivers should ALWAYS come from the laptop manuf. site...not the chip maker's...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "