Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ethernet adapter not recognizing cable  (Read 13271 times)

Serious_Sack

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Ethernet adapter not recognizing cable
    « on: May 14, 2013, 07:07:52 PM »
    I have had a Ethernet cable running directly from my Motorola SBG6580 router/modem combo for a few months. Yesterday, my computer would not recognize that the Ethernet cable was plugged in.  I did various research and tried a few things. I switched out Ethernet cords, tried multiple spots on the modem, updated the BIOS for my motherboard, took the battery out of the motherboard and reset the BIOS that way, I uninstalled the network adapter, then rebooted the computer and re installed it.

The LED lights on the modem are all lit, and it functions wirelessly. The LED light on the rear of the LAN connection on the computer is not lit. The computer recognizes Intel(R) PRO/1000 PM Network Connection and stated it is working properly. The LAN port is directly on the motherboard.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on a Gateway FX530S.

I tried to plug an ethernet cord into another device, but it too went unrecognized, leading me to believe it the the modem. I factory reset the modem and the problem persists. I really don't know where else to take this.

Please help

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Ethernet adapter not recognizing cable
    « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 08:10:10 PM »
    I tried to plug an ethernet cord into another device, but it too went unrecognized, leading me to believe it the the modem. I factory reset the modem and the problem persists. I really don't know where else to take this.

If this router/modem is leased, you can get a replacement through your ISP. If you own it, you will have to buy a new one.

I lost a router in a similar way, but it wasnt a router/modem combo. I had a Netgear that died in which none of the devices connected to it would uplink even after reset of power as well as reset of the router back to factory. The one thing I did notice though is that the LEDs were not as bright as they use to be, and the router was very warm to the touch. In addition to this, the power adapter for the router was also warmer than it should have been. I replaced it and problem solved!

The good thing though is that I had a spare router on hand to switch back to the 10 year old Linksys which didnt have wireless and still had settings for Vonage and port forwarding etc, so I was able to just set this up for a week until I could get my replacement for $20, a D-Link wireless router from newegg. I placed my 10 year old Linksys back in the box in the closet in case I need to use it as an emergency router ever again.

We had a bad power outage prior to mine dying. I had it accidentally plugged into unprotected power. We had the lights go dim, then bright and then out and then back on for a second and out and it did that about 2 times and then finally out for 30 minutes of no power. When power came back on, the router didnt make it through the abuse without power protection. Everything else powered through power strips with surge protection and battery backups were fine. This was plugged into an older power strip that didnt have surge protection that my lamp was also plugged into and of which the florescent bulbs ballast was blown. Threw away that power strip and paid $7 for one with surge protection!

Have you had bad weather lightning etc or power outage etc that might be linked to this problem?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 08:21:14 PM »
    How many Ethernet ports does the modem nave?
    The port may have been damaged by something you did not do.  For example, you did not use a grounded electrical cord or outlet.
    If so, it is permanent damage that can not be fixed in software.
    Before you buy another modem, check the electrical wiring. In a few cases a user will use a two prong electrical cord. or two wire outlet.  Most modems and computers require three wire electrical pugs.  Failure to use grounded equipment with Ethernet can damage ports.

I am not making that up as I go. It is well documented and is in the beginner's course on Ethernet equipment.

Not just USA, also in Europe.
    http://www.datapro.net/products/computer-power-cord-europe.html

Failure to have a good ground can damage electronic equipment. The problem is more widespread that many users would suspect. Notice these comments.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26596653-Ungrounded-PC

But your modem may have been damaged by something else, e a power surge. Like what was mentioned in the post above.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 08:39:01 PM »
    Before you buy another modem, check the electrical wiring. In a few cases a user will use a two prong electrical cord. or two wire outlet.  Most modems and computers require three wire electrical pugs.  Failure to use grounded equipment with Ethernet can damage ports.

I am not making that up as I go. It is well documented and is in the beginner's course on Ethernet equipment.

*Most inexpensive home use Routers/Modems/Switches etc,  have no ground wire leading up to the device. The ground is internal to the power supply that feeds the DC or AC via 2 wires to the device at the other end. Its not until you look at the high end rack mount switches, routers, etc that you will find the common 3 prong grounded computer power plug with internal power supplies contained within the devices.

Most household network hardware is not grounded by design when powered off of an external power supply. However, Netgear does supply a ground rung to the outside of the metal bodied switches for the 5 and 8 ports. The ones that come in a plastic clam shell body are meant to be non-grounded throw aways! While if you spend a little more for one of the metal bodied Netgears you can ground them, although they dont supply any wire to do it with and most people dont ground them unless its in an industrial environment etc. I have used them for years ungrounded without problems for small business and home networks. And they are protected behind battery backups etc from surge, with exception to the router oops I had.. LOL

*Its always best to have everything on the same potential. Back when I use to work on Industrial Automation PLC's etc for Rockwell Automation/Allen-Bradley, you needed the machinery to be grounded together, otherwise if the ground was missing the shield that was used on the DB9 serial cables would become the grounded link between the equipment and the outer body of the DB9's would get pitted and eaten away in addition to other problems when the difference became great enough between two machines to arc and blow ports out frying the Max232 RS232 UART chips etc.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 09:02:19 PM »
    Most inexpensive home use Routers/Modems/Switches etc,  have no ground wire leading up to the device.
    Not even an issue o cost. I have a nice Net gear router with no ground.  But my stock AT&T router has a ground.

Serious_Sack

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 06:48:55 AM »
      I live in Florida and all of my equipment is plugged into a surge protector. Besides we haven't had any storms/power failures in the last week, well before the problems occurred.

The router has four network ports, all are lit, but the device is hot to the touch.

I have had good luck with Motorola Surfboards in the past, so I bought this one myself; it is not leased from my ISP.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 07:10:56 AM »
      You have to setup the connestion for the wired to be recognised.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Serious_Sack

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 12:19:07 PM »
        Well, after calling customer support Motorola, they advised that the problem is probably with the chipset for the Ethernet ports, and that i'm on my own.

Can anyone recommend another brand modem/router combo? I've been really happy with what I have and am very disappointing by this product.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 01:04:03 PM »
        A network adapter is cheaper than a new modem.
        Windows has limited ability to diagnose hardware issues. Standford textbooks recommend substitution rather that software to identify hardware failures.

Of course, paraprofessional IT people have some gadgets that will pinpoint a problem. But one even a simple one costs way more than  a new  network interface controller (NIC).

Have you tried another NIC?

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 01:40:51 PM »

Regarding their statement above of 2 devices having the same issue. That is why I dont believe it to be a bad NIC in the PC.

One suggestion to try which would work is if you have a friend locally who can bring their modem/router to your home. Connect theirs in place of your own, and see if you get connectivity back. Low cost ( only the cost of gas ) test solution that would work to troubleshoot. *Make sure they bring their own external power supply to pair up with the modem/router as well so its all known good hardware.  The MAC address for the modem registered with the ISP would initialize and grab an IP from ISP their(your friends) paid active acct from your location and if its your modem/router combo you would know right off if this is the problem or not. Assuming this is Cable Broadband.

Other devices that can be used to test a NIC other than Modem or Router are:  an old Cat5 (RJ45) HUB, an old or new Cat5 (RJ45) SWITCH, a RJ45 LOOPBACK plug to loop back the TX/RX on itself, or if you have a CROSS-OVER CABLE and 2 computers or Cat5 (RJ45) devices both powered up by which to plug this cross over cable with 2 live devices together with and look for uplink LED lit.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 04:33:53 PM »
        ...Motorola SBG6580 router/modem combo...
        The LED lights on the modem are all lit, and it functions wirelessly. The LED light on the rear of the LAN connection on the computer is not lit. The computer recognizes Intel(R) PRO/1000 PM Network Connection and stated it is working properly. The LAN port is directly on the motherboard...
        http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers/SBG6580-SURFboard%C2%AE-eXtreme-Wireless-Cable-Modem/70902,en_US,pd.html
        Is the ethernet light on the modem lit?