Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Online Chat ... Is it me or does this guy seem like HP wont match Toshiba  (Read 2906 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Is it me or does the highlighted line in this HP chat seem not very competetive to get my business. I took this as that HP never offers free shipping through their online store and its ALWAYS going to come at a cost to me the customer. Toshiba is offering FREE shipping until 7/15/2013. Which to me this seems like HP may not match that without having to go through the extra effort to call experts.

My jaw kind of dropped when I got this response in this chat and I kind of laughed...never had an online chat go this path where it seemed like such a tall request to match Toshiba and kind of rude to the matter of HP will NEVER over free shipping on online orders is how I took it.

A Chat Agent will be right with you.

You are connected with HP's Chat Service. My name is Harry. How may I help you today?

Harry: Welcome to HP Chat, please tell me the nature of your visit to chat today? (ie: technical support, pre-sales question, purchase, or quote)

you: Looking at the HP Probook 4540s for a client... is the Downgrade to Windows 7 free or additional fee? Some laptop manufacturers are charging for laptops downgraded to 7 64-bit

Harry: Hi!

Harry: No, it is not going to cost.

Harry: Windows 7 Professional 64 (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8 Pro)”.  This means that you'll get Windows 7 pre-installed from the factory, and it will include the disc and license for Windows 8 Pro in the box that you can use to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro

you: ok great... last question is if my client who is in the USA is to buy a laptop off the website is free ground shipping available similar to what Toshiba is offering. He was also looking at the Toshiba Tecra series which offers free shipping

Harry: If he needs free shiipping then he needs to contact our experts directly.

Harry: Because online purchase is always going to cost you shipping fees.

you: oh ok... is there a contact number available for experts?

Harry: Our SMB Inbound sales team can be reached at 866-625-0242 Option #2.

you: ok thank you for your help... have a great day

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
In my experience it's worth giving them a call rather than going through the online chat.  Each vendor is different, sometimes the online chat is better, but with them not being particularly helpful I would be inclined to call.
We don't deal with HP directly, we use a distributor for our IT, not to mention we're in different countries, so I can't really tell you from experience whether they're likely to offer free shipping or not.  Worth a phone call though :) remember you'll be calling a sales team, not tech support, so you're less likely to get put through to India/Pakistan/Timbuktu.
A tip, just make it clear that if they're not competitive they will lose the sale to a competitor.  It really will depend on their targets, figures, and a hundred other things, but you may well be able to negotiate a discount and/or free shipping.