Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win98 shortcut help  (Read 11900 times)

turbo.blue

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Win98 shortcut help
    « on: August 24, 2013, 09:29:52 PM »
    Hello, everyone this is my first post. I enjoy this site lots of good stuff.

I got this win98 machine that I put together to play all my favorite DOS games and such. I made a DOS menu to load various Drivers and settings I put the menu in autoexec.bat and config.sys in c:\ and it loads before windows starts. But when I restart a game in DOS mode from windows my menu won't appear it just boots straight to the game.

Is there anyway to boot the menu first? or is there a way to change the entire default windows dos shortcut settings for my menu configuration?

It would be nice if I didn't have to manual change every games configuration there's a lot of games on this 40GB hdd. I think there was a way to change default shortcut setting within a file in the windows dir. But I can't remember which file it was.

Thanks, Zach

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Win98 shortcut help
    « Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 12:51:03 AM »
    Have you looked into PIF files? I think you can create a custom PIF that will load a batch file.
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 12:54:27 AM »
    The reason autoexec.bat doesn't execute is "Restart in MS-DOS Mode" doesn't actually restart the machine. It's basically Exiting Windows.

When you do so however the "dosstart.bat" batch file in the Windows folder is run. You can add "C:\autoexec.bat" to that batch file to get it to run your autoexec.bat.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

turbo.blue

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 06:23:17 PM »
      Thanks for your replies. I just found out about that dosstart.bat when searching around I was able to get it to load my autoexec.bat, but is there a config.sys for dosstart.bat or a way to get it to load one? .pif will work but will have to manual input my menu for each game sort of defeats the point. I'll check into pifs some more maybe something I missed.