Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 Laptop Very Slow  (Read 3781 times)

Whitebeard1

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Windows 7 Laptop Very Slow
    « on: November 30, 2013, 06:02:20 PM »
    Hello, my Windows 7 Asus laptop had been very very slow recently. There is lots of lags, freezes and not responding programs. It feel ike every movement I make on my laptop is slow. I've tried things like Disk Cleanup, but still very slow.
    Any help is appreciated! Thanks.
    Computers follow your orders, not your intentions.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows 7 Laptop Very Slow
    « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 06:06:41 PM »
    Are you able to get into task manager and look to see if the CPU is maxed out etc? Or are you mysteriously locked out of task manager to where you may have a virus or other malware that is protecting itself by disabling task manager?

You can get to task manager via CTRL + ALT + DELETE   ( or ) by entering taskmgr into the start -> search and hit enter key.

Also what is the make/model of the laptop?

If the CPU doesnt seem too busy then I'd install speedfan and run that and look at temps, as for if the CPU is roasting hot the system will throttle performance way back to try to avoid melt down.

I also would run memtest86 on it to test the memory for issues.

Whitebeard1

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 11:38:42 PM »
      Hello Dave, thank you for the reply. I looked at the task manager, and the CPU is not high.
      The model of my laptop-ASUS Notebook K53SV K53SJ Series.
      I already have speedfan installed. When idle, GPU around 50 degress celcius, HD0 around 35, Temp 1, Core 1, & Core 2 around 60. When my laptop is heavy task, the temperature is quite high. When I'm gaming, the Temp 1, Core 1 & Core 2 peaks around 90 degress celcius...
      I havent tried the memtest86 yet, but I will soon.
      Thanks, Whitebeard1
      Computers follow your orders, not your intentions.

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 03:53:38 PM »
      90C is pretty hot, and the CPU is rated for max of 100C. I'd check into a way to get the CPU to run cooler. More airflow may be needed such as one of those cooling pads. It may be thermal throttling causing for the lag to avoid melt down. Below is a link about other people with concerns over the operating temp of this same CPU. Temps hotter than 80C for any CPU is territory I try to stay out of for fear of damage and some CPUs need to stay below 60C etc.

I'd look for a utility that detects Thermal Throttling. I had a tool I used a long time ago with Windows XP and a Pentium D 3Ghz to detect this, but cant recall the name of it. The lag may be thermal throttling.

Causes for excess heat is usually airflow issue, or heatsink not rated high enough to draw the heat away, or heatsink that has failed and the tube called a heat pipe leaked out the thermal heat exchange coolant and so its no longer drawing heat away, or thermal bond between heatsink and CPU is poor or missing.

The only Core i7 reference I have IRL is my brothers Core i7 2600K system that he paid crazy money for when the Core i7 2600k came out, but its a desktop with liquid cooling and he is also overclocking it at like 4.2Ghz and it never climbs above 60C even when gaming for hours, and idles in the 30's C.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/313766-28-temps-normal-core-2630qm#.