Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Updating nvidia-drivers from 314.22 to 331.65. Failed installation.  (Read 10945 times)

MGN_1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    Hi.
    I got an Asus G75VW with gpu 660-Notebook series with 660M model. I need an update for my NVidia gpu. Currently I've been using 327.23 but I now need 331.65. When I am installing I do a clean update, but as soon as it's finished with removing the old drivers and start installing the new, an error message pops up saying that the installation failed to install. Is it anything I can do about this?

Third time I'm trying this and after a couple of restarts it does not apply the new gpu. I’m really starting to get a bit frustrated. Oh, and I got a win8, bought under 12 months ago. I have had no other issues than this with any other installation.

Have done a restoration two times now (from where it was before updating) and it goes right back to the same standard it was. Aka working fine, but not updated yet.

Any suggestions that i can might can do that will get this problem away? (updated and working fine again)

PS: When i reboot after a failed installation i get a PnP screen (640x480) which is really annoying. Will be sending the computer back to the manufactor within a month if this problem keep occurring.

Thanks.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Updating nvidia-drivers from 314.22 to 331.65. Failed installation.
    « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 02:52:16 PM »
    1) What do you mean you "need" the new driver?

2) Laptop drivers should be obtained ONLY from the website of your laptop manufacturer.

MGN_1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 03:02:47 PM »
      Bought Battlefield 4 today and for gameplaying in that particullar game, i "need" the newest software update from geforce. As of the update software i first tried to install it directly from geforce.com/drivers - 660-series, 660M. Which did not work. After a quick restore to the point i haven't installed it yet, i tried to install it from the website of asus (an older version though) and this did not work eighter.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 03:05:32 PM »
      Perhaps my post above wasn't clear. Drivers for laptop components should be downloaded ONLY from the website of the laptop manufacturer.

MGN_1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 03:16:47 PM »
        So what i was trying to tell in the previous post was that i have updated my gpu from nvidia's website. THEN i restored it again (because it wasent working properly) to the point BEFORE i had installed the software from that particullar website.

I THEN installed it from Asus's website with the proper software. Which did not work. Im left to wonder if this have anything to do with the failed installation, since i restored it to the point BEFORE trying to install the "proper" software.
        Hope it clears something.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 03:21:12 PM »
        Have you tried rolling back the driver in device manager? And what OS are you running?

MGN_1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 03:26:22 PM »
          After a failed update (clean install) i do not longer have the drivers from nvidia, atleast they are not working as they should.

Intel core i7-3630QM 2,4Ghz, x64-bit with 16gb ram.
          Windows 8.

Updating from DM does not work properly eighter.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 03:28:36 PM »
          1) Did you try rolling back the driver in device manager - yes or no? If not, try it.

2) Is this where you obtained the driver? http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G75VW

3) Have you updated to Windows 8.1? If not, please do so.

MGN_1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 03:34:47 PM »
            Have not updated to win8.1 yet, but i will try this.

Obtained the driver from were you are referring to, so yes.

I did roll back the driver in DM, and this did not work unfortunately.

Will try to install 8.1, if not i'm doing a fully and utterly restoration of win8. I'm sure that manufacturers want their beloved Asus back, that's why they are doing this to me.

Thanks for the reply! 

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 05:21:10 PM »
            I believe there is also something wrong with 331.65.  On my desktop with dedicated graphics card, was notified of the update by nVidia updater.  After it downloaded the update, the installation stalled in the middle; couldn't even exit the install.  I immediately reinstalled a Macrium Reflect update from the previous day.  I wouldn't touch 331.65 after that.  331.58 is no problem for me.
            Seems like many are having problems with recent updates.  Google this:  "nvida 331.65 problems".

MGN_1

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 02:19:23 AM »
              Update: Could not install win8.1 because of my PnP-screen (640x480) the app would not even run.

What i did next was to transfere any important content to a portable hdd and run a complete restore (back to manufactor settings) and this worked perfectly. Automatically installed the lastest software including 331.65. Only downside is that i now have to transfere all my data back, but this does work! Installed win8.1 and now i got it running as normal again.

Was hoping there could be an easier way to do this, but as i could not come up with anything else this is what i ended with. Works for me atleast, anyone who plan to do a complete restore, please do remember to take any important backup before doing this.