Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Outlook 2000  (Read 3620 times)

Dunker

Microsoft Outlook 2000
« on: October 22, 2005, 04:57:01 PM »
Hi:

I have had a problem with getting Outlook 2000 to run on my new computer with Windows XP Home Edition.

I inserted the MS Office Professional 2000 disk, clicked the "Repair Office>Repair errors in my Office installation" buttons and indicated I wanted only to repair Outlook. When I opened Outook, it gave me the message - "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. A required component is missing: OMI9.DLL. Please install Microsoft Outlook again." I found  this component in another directory and copied it into C:\Outlook as well as into C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office. I then tried to open Outlook and it gave me the same message.

I also tried the "Add or Remove Features" button and then highlighted  "Outlook". The same result occurred.

I was able to locate the following instruction on Microsoft's Help & Support number KB197034. In reading it, I have the following questions:

1. I am concerned about the note at the bottom of the article - "WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk." Should I be concerned if I follow these directions?
2. It states that this applies to Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition. I have Outlook as part of MS Office Professional 2000. Does this suggested solution apply to my software or not? Overall, I am not sure these recommendations apply to Outlook 2000 installed on Windows XP Home Edition.
3. I am not familiar with making entries in the Registry Editor and am concerned I may do serious damage to my operating systom. Any words of comfort?

Thanks for your help,

Duncan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Symptoms
On computers running Microsoft Windows 95 or Microsoft Windows 98, you may receive the following error message when you start Microsoft Outlook 2000:
Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. A required component is missing:
OMI9.DLL. Please install Microsoft Outlook again.

On computers running Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, you may receive the following error message when you start Microsoft Outlook 2000:
Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. A required component is missing:
OMINT.DLL. Please install Microsoft Outlook again.

You may also receive the following error:
Unable to open your default e-mail folders. An unexpected error has
occurred. MAPI was unable to load the information service PSTPRX.dll.
Be sure the service is correctly installed and configured.

CAUSE
If the installed version of Outlook conflicts with the MailSupport registry key value, the error message will be generated.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, correct the registry key.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To check or change the registry key value, follow these steps: 1. On the Windows Start menu, click Run, and then type regedit.
2. Navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Outlook\Setup
3. In the right pane, click MailSupport.
4. Use the following table to determine which Value data to enter.
Internet Mail Only = 0 Corporate or Workgroup = 1
Type the value, and then click OK.
5. Exit the Registry editor and start Outlook.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
    Re: Microsoft Outlook 2000
    « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 12:04:33 PM »
    Before you use Registry Editor use the 'export' function under File. This saves a copy of your registry so you can back it up after this if it all goes a bit Pete Tong.

The warning is a default message that is attached to all registry tips.

If you get it wrong the worst you are likely to do is change something relating to Outlook and not XP so you should be ableto change it right back again anyway.

It may well be that that fix wont work as it does specify standard and that'sall they mean.

Try inserting the office disc. Browsing the disc for the file OMI9.dll and seeing which folder it is stored in on the disc and copy that file into the same place on your system.

My old tech coach had a great saying....suck it and see. It can't hurt it to try (and he was only refering to anything technical!!!)

Let us know how you get on.
    A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

Dunker

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 01:40:08 PM »
    Thanks for the info.

I did as you suggested and found the file OMI9.DLL on the Office disc at Pfiles\Common\System\Mapi\1033\95.

I did a search on my computer and found the file OMI9.DLL at C:\Program files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\95. It would appear to me that the file is in the right directory, but the program will not open.

When I try to open Outlook, the same message comes up - "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. A required component is missing: OMI9.DLL. Please install Microsoft Outlook again."

Any other suggestions?

Dunker

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 04:34:17 PM »
    The article I read suggested I do something in the registry to correct this problem. I am very hesitant to tamper with the registry until I have exhausted all other means. If I find that is the only remaining solution, I will probably take it to a professional.

I have re-installed all of Office 2000 from the MS disc but still receive the message "Operation failed" when I try to open Outlook.

Would you recommend that I uninstall Microsoft Office Professional 2000 discs 1 and 2 from Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs and then do a fresh
    Install of the 2 discs? If so, what precautions should I take?

I have backed up all Outlook related files to date. What else would you
    recommend?

Dunker

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 06:14:44 AM »
    I uninstalled Office Professional 2000, backed up all relevant files and re-installed it from the two authentic discs. It worked and I now have Outlook working properly. I did not fiddle with the registry - it was something I was quite apprehensive about.

Duncan